Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 SNL Season 42 
Wallflower

Post Re: SNL Season 42
I don't know why but the America's Funniest Pets skit was the most I laughed during tonight's episode. Strong and McKinnon were hilarious. I guess these characters have appeared before but I don't think I've seen them.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:21 am
Cream of the Crop

The writing remains incredibly weak - only Black Jeopardy came close to both being funny and saying something.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:23 am
New Server, Same X

Magic Mike wrote:
I don't know why but the America's Funniest Pets skit was the most I laughed during tonight's episode. Strong and McKinnon were hilarious. I guess these characters have appeared before but I don't think I've seen them.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm certain I saw these characters last season. And it was funny. Maybe because so much of the show sucked. Although it was distracting that Tom Hanks was playing Ron Howard. Felt like it was an inside joke between them.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:09 am
New Server, Same X

tree and a half wrote:
The writing remains incredibly weak - only Black Jeopardy came close to both being funny and saying something.

It helped that it struck so well with the audience too.

The cold open was the weakest of the four shows so far. They basically just repeated the most noteworthy lines from the debate. Although I guess there's a statement in there somewhere about how the actual debate was more of an SNL sketch than the SNL sketch spoofing it.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:13 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

The Kevin S Pumpkins sketch was INCREDIBLE.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:12 am
Cream of the Crop

Last night's Benedict Cumberbatch episode is a great episode to watch if you've just had abdominal surgery - 100% laughter free!

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:14 am
New Server, Same X

Hahaha good one. They seem to be burnt out on politics. Benedict was a good host though. They just gave him sub-par writing.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:10 pm
Superman: The Movie

So now that Trump is in, I'm guessing Baldwin plays him for the rest of the season (at most). Then do they go back to Hammond and make him a semi-regular again for three and a half years? I don't see anyone on the current cast being capable of a decent Trump.

I think it's safe to say Lorne Michaels probably didn't think this would be a problem.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Jmart wrote:
So now that Trump is in, I'm guessing Baldwin plays him for the rest of the season (at most). Then do they go back to Hammond and make him a semi-regular again for three and a half years? I don't see anyone on the current cast being capable of a decent Trump.

I think it's safe to say Lorne Michaels probably didn't think this would be a problem.

I can't imagine what will happen. I'm sure like Tina Fey in 2008, Alec Baldwin didn't plan on doing this on a semi-regular basis. But how do they proceed without him now?

Then there's the fact that I'm sure they probably don't even see the comedy in this just yet. It'll be interesting what happens tomorrow.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:48 am
The Kramer

Baldwin could do SNL and Match Game and still have time to do a Woody Allen movie or two per year. I don't think it will be a problem.

Is Chappelle really gonna host? That is very exciting!!

Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:25 pm
The Kramer

SNL also had quite a few scenes with Kate McKlinton prematuring celebrating which I hope they address. I'd feel bad for her, but shes still clearly the star of the show and will probably be a leading actress in a few years.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:28 pm
Superman: The Movie

I don't blame them. Everyone had her pegged as being the winner. If I remember the sketch you're talking about (a split screen to open a show after one of the debates) that's probably how she was feeling. And if you want to give SNL way too much credit, they could've been criticizing her for it.

But yeah, McKinnion (nice one) is going to be fine. She won't be able to play her signature character, but she's got another fifty in her pocket (even if they're all kind of a variation on three types of characters).

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Baldwin could do SNL and Match Game and still have time to do a Woody Allen movie or two per year. I don't think it will be a problem.

Is Chappelle really gonna host? That is very exciting!!

I know he CAN do it, but does he want to be forever associated with a man he loathes? I think he probably signed on knowing he could rip apart Trump every week until Hillary soundly defeated him. Now that Trump is President, is the comedy there anymore for him? I just see him being touchier about this.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:29 pm
Cream of the Crop

Dave Chappelle's monologue was excellent, his easygoing delivery was spot on. And the election night skit was a refreshing change from the endless parade of self pity this week. Speaking of which, I didn't like how they co-opted Leonard Cohen's death in the show opener. The second half of the show contained no worthwhile material.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:18 am
Sbil

They could not possibly have had a better cold open last night. Thank you, Kate McKinnon and SNL. "I'm not giving up and neither should you."

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:38 pm
New Server, Same X

I think this feeds into my theory that Baldwin is finished as Trump.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:36 pm
Forum General

Mister Ecks wrote:
I think this feeds into my theory that Baldwin is finished as Trump.

Feels too depressing at this juncture.

Maybe after he gets sworn in... ugh. :tears:

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:08 pm
Cream of the Crop

Libs wrote:
They could not possibly have had a better cold open last night.
Kat McKinnon's performance of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah did capture the state of mourning of half the country. And I would have agreed with you that it couldn't have been better, if it hadn't been just two days after Cohen died. I found it disrespectful that McKinnon (in character or not) didn't say a small word about his passing at the end of her performance.

(Imagine if SNL had used a David Bowie song to make a political point just two days after he died without paying their respects, without even a brief acknowlegement.)

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:48 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

It would've been a great statement then, too.

The whole episode was great. Chappelle killed it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:22 am
The Kramer

SNL could make a statement by not having anyone by Trump. I doubt they'd sacrifice those easy ten minutes per week though.

Even with ten years of rust, Chappelle is still the best stand up comedian. GOAT.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:46 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

They should Veep him. Refuse to put his likeness on air.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:57 am
New Server, Same X

It's easy material though and I don't see SNL leaving that. I'm guessing he may go away until his inauguration and if Alec won't do it, they'll get Hammond back into the role. The only downside is that Darrell plays him more cartoonish with the big eyes, but it's hard to do that now that he's President. There's something not right about it.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:07 pm
On autopilot for the summer

tree and a half wrote:
Libs wrote:
Kat McKinnon's performance of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah did capture the state of mourning of half the country. And I would have agreed with you that it couldn't have been better, if it hadn't been just two days after Cohen died. I found it disrespectful that McKinnon (in character or not) didn't say a small word about his passing at the end of her performance.

(Imagine if SNL had used a David Bowie song to make a political point just two days after he died without paying their respects, without even a brief acknowlegement.)

Oh the world would have fucking exploded :roll:

Are you serious? Have you never watched SNL before? Why in the world would that ever happen, and there is nothing even remotely disrespectful about it. It actually ended up being kind of perfect symmetry (Especially for the 98% of the American population who has no idea he even sang that song)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:41 pm
Cream of the Crop

Kristen Wiig's 'monologue' wasn't especially funny (even with the cameos) - same with the Trump opening. Overall it was a slightly below average show. The only slight standouts were the "Bubble" commercial, the "Whiskers R' We" skit, and the "Aunt Sue's Surprise" skit.

Last edited by tree and a half on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:56 am
Cream of the Crop

Thegun wrote:
tree and a half wrote:
Libs wrote:

Oh the world would have fucking exploded :roll:

Are you serious? Have you never watched SNL before? Why in the world would that ever happen, and there is nothing even remotely disrespectful about it. It actually ended up being kind of perfect symmetry (Especially for the 98% of the American population who has no idea he even sang that song)

Agreed. If you're judging it by the standard of "98% of the American population", it's respect level was right on point. For the other 2%, a simple quiet "Love you Leonard" at the end would have been classy without taking away from the political point.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next