Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Star Trek: Discovery 
Cream of the Crop

Post Star Trek: Discovery
I can't wait to catch STD starting in January May 2017!

Screen Rant details Star Trek: Discovery - Everything We Know So Far

Here's the Comic-Con trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxba2WjlN90 (WOKJ YouTube embed broken)

Last edited by tree and a half on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:35 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Star Trek: Discovery
Some great news about Star Trek: Discovery - Michelle Yeoh has been cast (hopefully) in the lead role!!!

I can't think of anyone better.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:32 am
The Wall

Meh.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

For me, Michelle Yeoh's casting is the best entertaiment news I've heard all year. No joke. It gives me real hope in the success of the new Star Trek TV series.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:21 am
The Wall

I might've understood if she was some terrific actress, but she's at best serviceable, if not a little over the top in some roles.

I'm more interested in the final product than the casting news.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:27 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

So the first two episodes were OK. I wasn't blown away with them and it seemed that despite the obvious try to make a really serious show they kind of still went for some needless techno-babble and bad plot writing. But overall it was nice to have new ST show back on air. My biggest problem is that they effectively wasted two hours on setting up two characters who will continue to be on the show). We haven't met the real crew, the real captain... So it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. I think they should've released these two episodes edited as a movie at the start of the summer. Like an intro to the new show (which it actually is).

Also having the main dynamic be between human captain and the Vulcan (or in this case Vulcan raised) member of the crew is a bit repetitive after ST: Enterprise.

And I'm not really sure if I like the Klingon rework or not. It's definitely a much bigger departure than any of their previous looks in ST franchise so far.

But I'll gladly tune in into any new ST episode. It is a series I grew up with after all.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I enjoyed the first two premiere episodes, although it feels silly calling this a prequel show. I'm not much of a trekkie fan outside the more recent movies, but even I can tell this doesn't fit timeline of the OG series. That being said I'm liking Michael Burnham character and I really liked Michelle Yeoh's character. The Klingon stuff was interesting too and I'm curious to see how it develops and overall I just love the cinematic look of it.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The first two episodes were incredibly dull. Nowhere near as good as the recent movie trilogy. Visually it was great looking though.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 pm
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

The two hour premiere episode was pretty generic Star Trek, heavily biased towards action drama. I'm certainly going to give the series more of a chance to prove itself, but I was definitely underwhelmed. Especially irritating was the long Klingon sequences with them speaking in Klingon - that just sucked the life out of any dramatic escalation. It also portends that the series may end up another endless Klingon-Federation soap opera like DS9 ended up. I also hope the series doesn't depend on characters acting stupid (#1's jetpack joyride) to drive the plot. Sure the original Star Trek used that device frequently, but the Next Generation show became much more intelligent in its storylines. And the use of the original Star Trek theme music in the opening titles is incredibly lazy. *C*

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:45 am
The Wall

The third episode was much better than the first two IMHO. Felt much more like and old school ST episode.

I'm not really sold into the whole spores engine thing. Are the use of spores in technology like that even a thing, even at theoretical level? Feels like a complete fantasy and ST was envisioned as a show somewhat scientifically correct. There were other times ST went out there, but this seems very unlike ST.

I like how the tone was set pretty dark on the Discovery ship unlike the first two episode that had somewhat unsuccessful attempts at humor. I do like the fact that the captain is set as an ambiguous guy, just when you think he has showed the usual Starfleet code of honor he shows his sinister side. There's hope for ST:D (unlike its unfortunate abbreviation).

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I enjoyed this third episode a lot too. Jason Isaacs is killing it so far, and I like how he was able to manipulate Michael so easily when it's pretty obvious that he has some sinister motivations. I can't wait to see what they do with his character and how his relationship develops with the crew.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:14 pm
Cream of the Crop

The second episode (after the premiere double episode) definitely has me concerned with the direction of the series - all the internal Federation conspiracy nonsense - Alex Kurtzman's clumsy paws are all over this. And the starfleet officers were such drama queens about Michael's visit to the starship Discovery. The series is shaping up to not be in the true spirit of Star Trek. *D*

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:09 pm
The Wall

This is finding its groove. I like the symbiosis plot between the spores and the creature even though it slightly feels like Species 8472, only this time it's Starfleet fucking with something they don't understand. The whole spore thing is still a bit ridiculous, but I think the dynamic of the characters on board makes the whole thing work.

And next time I hope they actually make an effort in setting up a proper character even if they plan on killing him/her off soon. The girl that they obviously wanted for the audience to hate to make her dumb actions and death satisfying is such lazy writing on the writer's part.

Also I'm still not sold on these Klingons.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I just caught up on the Harry Mudd episode of STD and it was so wilfully stupid and so anti-Trek that it has just about squashed any interest I had in this series. The admiral just gets done say the spore drive is too valuable to risk losing by overuse and two minutes later she's saying to use it as much as needed to rescue the captain. The whole thing is a big war soap. There's no ethical thoughtfulness - they even curse like valley girls. And the failure of imagination required to bring back Mudd? This was the worst episode yet. *F-*

Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:35 pm
Cream of the Crop

The cluelessness of STD summed up in three words:

Vulcan logic extremists.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:58 am
Cream of the Crop

STD's Groundhog Day episode (or perhaps more apropos, its Yesterday's Enterprise episode) was its best one yet (not that that's saying much). The pillaging of TOS for Harry Mudd continues to demonstrate the paucity of imagination of STD's producers. And the romantic escapades of Michael Burnham were simply embarassing. *C*

(Ironically, Anthony Rapp's character had the following line of dialogue: "Why would you apologizefor a random act of physical interaction? You know these are the moments that make life so glorious and unpredictable.")

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:19 am
Forum General

I'm not going to lie I'm kind of bummed there's only one episode left until they go on hiatus. I know fans don't like it, but I enjoyed this show quite a bit. Maybe it has a lot to do with it being so similar to the movies, but I can't help it if it's more my speed.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:26 pm
The Wall

I'm kind of sad it's going to hiatus too, but every time it seems like they're going to get into the true ST spirit they pull out some random fantasy crap like the magic crystal tree emitting pulses. I mean, WTF???

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

The episode in which STD copies Avatar's hometree idea is a jumbled mess, jumping from Michael's first crush to Klingon politics to the usual endless war and conspiracy which is everything that Star Trek is not. *F*

Dil wrote:
I know fans don't like it, but I enjoyed this show quite a bit. Maybe it has a lot to do with it being so similar to the movies, but I can't help it if it's more my speed.

You're right about STD being more like the reboot movies, than the real Star Trek. After all, STD is created and produced by Alex Kurtzman who co-wrote the worst ever Star Trek movie (Into Darkness), directed one of this summer's worst movies (The Mummy), and co-wrote Harrison Ford's worst movie (Cowboys & Aliens). Whether CBS's gamble on this corrupted version of Star Trek pays off financially is still up in the air, but creatively it is a clear bust.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:19 am
Forum General

So I really enjoyed the mid season finale for this. The way it ended was pretty damn interesting and now I can't wait to see how they will address certain plot elements in the second half. Bring on January.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 pm
Cream of the Crop

The finale was guided by implausibility and coincidence - there are rare moments of action sci-fi interest, but it sure as hell ain't Star Trek. *D-*

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]