Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Kidding - Jim Carrey series on Showtime 
New Server, Same X

Post Kidding - Jim Carrey series on Showtime

Didn't know anything about this until today. I've been dying for Jim Carrey to do a regular series role like this. Looks really good based on this trailer.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:25 pm
Romosexual!

Post Re: Kidding - Jim Carrey series on Showtime
Glad to see him doing tv again :D looks great

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:43 pm
Pure Phase

This seems a terrific opportunity for Carrey, whose career is in a slightly strange place right now. I am excited to watch.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:24 pm
New Server, Same X

It's kind of odd thinking of Jim Carrey's career in the last ten years. He hasn't had a string of box office bombs to blame. Maybe some films that underwhelmed a bit at the box office, but even something like Dumb and Dumber To, his last major film role, did pretty well considering the general indifference people have had to sequels that came years too late. I'd imagine his drop in work has more to do with his own personal choice to not do anything major.

Once he started producing I'm Dying Up Here for Showtime, I was hoping he'd do his own show.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:36 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

So the first episode is free on youtube, so I checked it out. It seems like it has a lot of potential and a lot of great performances, especially Carrey.

But man... the editing seemed horrific. Wild tone shifts and incoherent endings to scenes. It can be very hard to follow what is even going on. It honestly seemed like a 30 minute trailer.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:28 pm
Pure Phase

Mixed feelings on the pilot. Leaning toward the positive. I love the idea of exploring grief and trauma through this peculiar, Mr. Rogers-esque lens. The cast is obviously strong, and I hope everyone is utilized well over the course of ten episodes. The pacing and tone are a bit bizarre...presumably in an intentional way to a degree, but it is hard to settle in. The humor is a shade try-hard and hit-or-miss (I am already tired of the two dudes in the horse costume).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:34 am
New Server, Same X

I definitely lean toward the positive on the pilot, but I'm not a big fan of Showtime comedy. It is its own brand that I've seen prevalent on Weeds and Californication. Not sure I can even describe it properly, but it's easy for me to associate this as being a Showtime comedy. I wish they had leaned more towards the darker tones of that trailer I posted. Those same tones are in there, but they're buried beneath a bit of a silly comedy exterior.

The music is all wrong too. I just don't think they went for the right tone at all. But Jim Carrey is solid, and the rest of the cast is full of stellar performers, so I'll stick with it for now.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am
Devil's Advocate

It's not just comedies. In their dramas as well Showtime's brand is a carbon attempt to be above average but accessible to lower brow viewers who just want to be entertained (Twin Peaks is an exception from everything they do). It just comes off like they're trying to make money off me rather than real artfulness. Billions is a fine show that gets a lot of praise for being entertaining and knowing it's a TV show, but its attempt to be just that comes off as transparent to me

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]