Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 True Detective: Season 2 
Pure Phase

Post Re: True Detective: Season 2
He is definitely a closeted gay man.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:14 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Was not a fan of tonight's episode until the last 10 minutes or so.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:16 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

One issue with this season: it is hard to care who murdered sleazy bureaucrat Ben Caspere. The acting is largely top-notch, and so is the craftsmanship. And I love the foreboding mood and the moment-to-moment intensity, but I do not yet feel particularly drawn into the convoluted, who-is-swindling-whom plot. The first season is not perfect in this regard, either, but at least the victims (an oppressed, poor bayou populace) were sympathetic.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:27 pm
Sbil

Thought this was the best one so far.

Love that Velcoro was only hit with riot bullets. Yeah, it would've been dramatically OMGBRAVE to kill off the lead star after 2 episodes, but Ferrell is doing really good work here. Starting to appreciate his chemistry with McAdams too.

Woodrugh is a repressed gay as we suspected. Too much to hope for an explicit sex scene by the end of the season?

This was also probably the first episode Vince Vaughn seemed vaguely comfortable in his role. I liked the confrontation with the club guy where he started pulling out his grillz.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:31 am
Keeping it Light

David wrote:
I do not yet feel particularly drawn into the convoluted, who-is-swindling-whom plot.

Yes, this season thus far, just doesn't carry the panache that season 1 achieved by this point.

I think this episode was the best so far as well, and I am growing into it. So despite it not reaching that level of season 1, it's still something special, and must watch TV.

The wait for each next episode is killing, but at the same time I enjoy how I can now reminisce each episode for a few days after.

Shack wrote:
I am guessing he got shot with non-lethal ammunition.

Good call! And I wasn't sure what to think about the whole deal, but when it was revealed this was actually the case, I loved it for having Farrell still alive anyway, but all the while it also totally working for the continuation of the story.

And the acting is definitely still the best part about this series, McAdams is doing such a good job too. Vince since the beginning is my favorite though, I really never experienced him like a serious actor before, and I can see it not working as the lead, but this part is just perfect for him.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:01 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Too bad they flaked out on the death, otherwise it would be the most surprising death from a movie star since Ben Affleck's comical death in Smokin Aces.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:39 pm
Forum General

It might not be as engaging as Season 1 was so far, but I don't mind the slow build-up here either. The crazy, ranting alcoholic captain is slowly becoming one of my favorite supporting characters and Vince Vaughn is really starting to shine in the role and I enjoyed the confrontation scene he had with the Mexican gangster. The guy wasn't the best actor and the dialogue was pretty stereotypical, but I loved the line about the Rings Vaughn delivered right before the fight. I should've known they wouldn't kill off Farrell this early, but I'm glad they didn't because I'm just starting to warm up to his chemistry with McAdams. Also, lol at Kitsch's character finally being revealed as a repressed homosexual.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:29 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The shootout sequence tonight was incredible and beyond intense. I was on the edge of my seat.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:00 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

The shootout was the first time this season I've been truly wowed and riveted. Nicely done.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:38 pm
Keeping it Light

That was top notch indeed. The episode been good all around, but those set pieces are just the best part of the show. Great pacing, and again I can't wait for next week.

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:04 pm
Pure Phase

Is there going to be a jump forward in time in the next episode? It seemed so from the preview. Farrell clean shaven. McAdams saying, 'You seriously believe we closed the Caspere case?'

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:56 pm
Pure Phase

I know he is a legendary figure in popular music, but I find the Leonard Cohen theme song a bit embarrassing to listen to. ;) As if Cohen is lapsing into self-parody, trying so hard to sound predatory and creepy-sensual. I fast forward through the intro even though I love its visual design.

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:11 pm
Keeping it Light

I never heard of this L. Cohen guy, was surprised my gf did actually. But I love this theme song, and the whole opening intro in general.

David wrote:
Is there going to be a jump forward in time in the next episode? It seemed so from the preview. Farrell clean shaven. McAdams saying, 'You seriously believe we closed the Caspere case?'

And wow, I didn't about that. Think that will be awesome though, been waiting for some intertwining timelines stuff, almost thought they were keeping it totally linear the rest of the season.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:40 am
Pure Phase

Even though this would be another type of cliché, I wish Taylor Kitsch's character were not so flawed/intense, but rather a more grounded cop. A fresh-faced foil to the Farrell and McAdams characters.

The three police protagonists all being angry, boozy, haunted, morose, on the verge of self-destruction, etc. is a flaw with this season, I feel. The angst is a tad too dense, and losing the subplot regarding him being a war-crime-committing soldier-for-hire and raging closet case would be a reprieve.

Even the Other Detective we barely knew before a bullet found its way to his head was angry, boozy, haunted, morose...

Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:33 am
Keeping it Light

There's A LOT going on with these characters no doubt, too much really. That hasn't distracted me yet, but I do feel it's cluttered story writing. There's still so much more good than bad with this show, but it also nags on me a bit, that it could be even better.

And say what you want but Velcoro is the most sane cop there. In the same way McConaughey was before. But actually I still don't know who's the alpha in S2 like McConaughey was in S1.

Vaughn is the most intriguing character for me so far.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:44 am
Devil's Advocate

Boy did they need that shootout. Up until that episode was just bad.

The deaths in the shootout like the police officers were the most effective on a show for a while even if they small characters or extra. Cause you know the ramifications would be huge.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:52 pm
Forum General

The ending shootout was great indeed, but I will admit that up until that point it was a pretty boring episode honestly. I just don't find Taylor Kitsch's character that interesting or engaging and the story is getting quite convoluted/muddled. At times there is way too much going on and too many characters to follow, but I'm still liking what I'm seeing for the most part and just to see how it all comes together at the end is worth watching alone.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:21 am
Keeping it Light

I like Kitsch since Friday night lights, so I'm glad to see him in this too. His character's story line so far, is not interesting me so much either, because I feel it seems so irrelevant to the plot. Also I found it so dramatic that he went back to the girl, I just have no clue what he's trying to achieve there.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:57 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Tonight was a snoozefest.

The scene between Taylor Kitsch and his mother was the most interesting scene, unfortunately it was so fucking over-the-top that it was almost laughable.

Rachel continues to slay. Vince and Kelly Reilly continue to suck.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:17 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Last night's was the best episode of the season so far, in my opinion, topping the premiere. I felt drawn into every character's predicament, particularly Ray's (learning he was fooled into committing a murder; his wife motioning for a paternity test), and the central case became much more intriguing and concrete with the introduction of the unoriginal-but-still-interesting blackmail element.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:33 pm
Forum General

I enjoyed the last episode aswell. Eventhough there wasn't much going on it definitely felt more focused and contained. I thought the stuff with Farrell's character was more engaging than ever IMO and you could tell he had changed quite a bit since the shootout. The scenes between Vaughn and his wife are starting to get more interesting, but it helps a lot when your wife is played by such a fantastic actress as Kelly Reilly. She really shined in that episode and hell even Kitsch wasn't so boring. I loved his back and forth with his mother and the looks he was giving that blonde slut at the beginning were priceless.

McAdams is always consistently great though.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:50 pm
Pure Phase

I know flashbacks can be regarded as a crutch or lazy, but I wish we saw certain events in the past, such as Farrell's actual act of violence against "the rapist" (who we now know was at least innocent of the crime for which he died) or one of Kitsch's sinister private-security wartime exploits. So we could feel these plot points on a more visceral, pulp-friendly level.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:09 pm
Keeping it Light

Yes, that's a really good point indeed David.

I thought the last episode was really good again, it was the best in terms of going places...they seemed to actually discover things here and make progress. Up until the Mexican shootout, they get finding more info, but it didn't lead them anywhere. And even the Mexican shootout hasn't led them anywhere. I actually kind of forgot what made them pick-up the case now. Was it the Diamonds?

This was definitely Farrell's best episode. With McAdams she's good, the best from the beginning perhaps, but I also feel she hasn't grow in her role. I can see Ani in her mannerisms but not in her eyes.

I feel there's still too many characters to get the tension right, but last episode definitely had the best focus...hope it continues this way...only 3 eps. left.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:39 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This season baffles me. Rachel McAdams is the clear standout and her plotline is the only aspect of it that is working or is remotely interesting. Yet the producers and writers seem to have thought this was going to be Vince Vaughn's McConaughey moment and are giving him the most inane, dull and ridiculous passages of dialogue EVER. I seriously want to fast forward through every scene featuring him. It also doesn't help that he's so awful and not suited for this material. I'd even say it's bordering on a career-worst performance.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:45 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

The last ten minutes tonight were great and super-intense. Loved Rachel being badass at that orgy ;)

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:02 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next