Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The OA (Netflix) 
Pure Phase

Post The OA (Netflix)

The OA is a science-fiction drama series created for Netflix by Brit Marling and director Zal Batmanglij, who previously collaborated on Sound of My Voice and The East. Marling plays a blind woman who vanishes for years and then returns with unexplained scars and her vision mysteriously restored. She co-stars alongside Emory Cohen, Jason Isaacs, and Scott Wilson.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:04 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: The OA (Netflix)
The first season became available on Netflix today. :) I am excited to jump in.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:16 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I've watched six episodes so far. The first episode and third episode are absolutely fantastic. The series as a whole is incredibly ambitious and mostly engaging, though I don't think it's anything revelatory or anything. Brit Marling is great.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:43 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

So they had a clip from it out in March 2015 already, but released the first season just now? And I have a feeling like Netflix did zero marketing for it.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I updated the first post tonight. It was just a Hollywood Reporter announcement article in March 2015.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:24 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Dr. Lecter wrote:
So they had a clip from it out in March 2015 already, but released the first season just now? And I have a feeling like Netflix did zero marketing for it.

They didn't, but that was part of the strategy from what they are claiming. They only announced it was premiering today on Monday. Brit Marling is saying she wanted to keep it secretive.

As for the series overall, it filmed from like January through May this year in NYC.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:25 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

Ah, okay. I was surprised. Either way, I still think Netflix dumped it without marketing. I have received an e-mail that offered screeners to all episodes of the first season at the end of November. When that offer came there was still no trailer or release date. The release date was announced just a few days before it was actually released.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I believe they were aiming for a J. J. Abrams-esque blitz release rather than burying it.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:34 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, the show really works if you know as little as possible going in, so I'm sure that's what they were going for.

Plus, if you think about it "Stranger Things" wasn't really released with a ton of fanfare either, that came after.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:40 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

"Stranger Things" had tons of hype after its 80s-style trailers already.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I just finished. This was good. I thought the finale was solid if somewhat unspectacular, but I am curious where another season would go.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:29 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I need to watch this. Loved Another Earth, The East, Sound of My Voice, and I Origins.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:58 am
The Wall

I'm 4 episodes in and I kind of like it. But it's really full of random stuff. I'm not sure the storytelling way was the best way to go. At times it feels like it's made up by a sleepy 6 year old kid telling a story to his friends. And there's a sense of disconnect between the drama and the supernatural elements. It's as almost as the show is a bit ashamed of having supernatural elements.

And I can see why they went with just announcing the show. It would be hard to market. The first episode kicks off with a strong mystery element that gets thrown aside by the end of it and the show then becomes a slow memoir of a Russian girl with supernatural powers. And it just gets more over the top from that point on.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Eh. I don't think the ending really works. The ambiguity that's left makes it not a carbon copy of The Usual Suspects, but the twist feels randomly thrown at the very last minute. She's definitely not a reliable storyteller as it has been obvious from the start, so I'm interested how much of it was real and how much of the story was made up.

At the same time I would like to see the second season and I wouldn't. They would definitely have to go for one of the options, but whatever they would chose would certainly take away from the first season.

EDIT: The strongest point of the series were the characters. I liked or loved every one of them. And Hap is definitely one of the best villains I've ever seen. He's so complex and layered. I don't realize why people don't mention it when they were going crazy over JJ's Kilgrave that wasn't a really special or well done villain at all.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:44 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

The ending was infuriating to me and ruined what otherwise was a decent (B level) series. Interpretive dance moves to stop a school shooter!?!?

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:28 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Caius wrote:
Interpretive dance moves to stop a school shooter!?!?

Well it just ended up making the guy go "WTF???" for a moment. I'm rather more amused by the healing properties/dimension travel idea.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:34 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

_axiom wrote:
Caius wrote:
Interpretive dance moves to stop a school shooter!?!?

Well it just ended up making the guy go "WTF???" for a moment. I'm rather more amused by the healing properties/dimension travel idea.

I was as well, if true. Which is why the ending annoyed me.

Regarding the books, can Prairie even read besides with Braille? She came to America blind, learned to read in Braille, had nothing to read in her cell if she was to learn then (or at least nothing is shown), so if the books under her bed were hers, wouldn't they be in Braille?

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:54 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

In the case of her blindness if the story is fake and there's nothing supernatural that was going on, I believe the clue to that is that the woman that returns her sight tells her: "You never lost your sight to begin with.". It's quite possibly that her blindness was never truly physical, but more psychological. Also she was gone for years and could've easily learned to read. We never do know if she read those books before (in captivity maybe) or she randomly ordered them and made up her story while reading them. I do feel that plot twist with the books is terribly random and put into the story at the very last minute as the whole thing doesn't seem really well thought out.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]