Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The X-Files Miniseries 2016 
New Server, Same X

Post The X-Files Miniseries 2016
Quote:
Fox’s new agenda is looking a lot like their old one. Confirming some prior reports, the network’s leadership says they are seriously chasing a reboot of The X-Files and are possibly interested in bringing back Prison Break too (along with yet another edition of 24 as well — but that’s another story).

On The X-Files front, Fox chairman and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman say they have been in talks with series creator Chris Carter about reviving the supernatural procedural, which was a major hit for the network from 1993 to 2002. The executives also revealed they hope to have original series stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reprise their roles on the show.

Walden added: “Gary and I both worked [at 20th Century Fox Television] through the entire run of The X Files. It was a great experience. We’ve maintained good relationships with Chris, David and Gillian. We’re very hopeful, but it’s hard. The actors are very busy. They have a lot going on. Chris has a lot on his plate, so it’s just trying to carve out the time.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/

Last edited by Mister Ecks on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:29 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: FOX Possibly Rebooting The X-Files
Two thoughts:

1. These are the earliest of early discussions. Chances are this never happens. But with the trend of diving into existing franchises and stories (Gotham, Sleepy Hollow), it's not outside the realm of possibility that this happens.

2. I hope it continues the same universe but without David and Gillian. At least initially. I just don't see how that works in 2016 at the earliest (let's assume). And I'm apprehensive if Chris Carter will run it, but if he finds the perfect writers like those first five or six seasons, it could work.

But The X-Files is my favorite show, and I've always loved the idea of a new version.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:32 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Same Network, New X

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:33 pm
New Server, Same X

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/24/x-files-return

It's official: a six-episode limited series will begin filming this summer.

I do hope they adhere to the monster-of-the-week format. If Chris Carter could properly delve into the alien storyline again, fine, but I don't think he should. While some mythology episodes are among my favorites, it's mostly the individual stories I remember and love.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:28 pm
Romosexual!

Fuck Yes! :D

This gives me hope that one day they'll bring back Firefly

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 pm
You must have big rats

Mister Ecks wrote:
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/24/x-files-return

It's official: a six-episode limited series will begin filming this summer.

I do hope they adhere to the monster-of-the-week format. If Chris Carter could properly delve into the alien storyline again, fine, but I don't think he should. While some mythology episodes are among my favorites, it's mostly the individual stories I remember and love.

Last time they tried "monster of the week" was in the 2008 movie and that sucked balls.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Well, for better or worse, The X-Files sucked balls long before its May 2002 ending. Doesn't lower my excitement for this at all.

This was always a better option anyway. I was content with Fight the Future in 1998 but The X-Files never should have branched into film anyway. Glad to have this rather than the long-rumored third movie.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:28 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: The X-Files Miniseries 2016
Changed the thread title to reflect the reality of this, as filming is underway.

A few news bits:

-Each episode will be directed by the episode's writer. "My Struggle", the first episode, will be helmed by series creator Chris Carter, while "Home Again" comes from original writer Glen Morgan, absent from the series since a supposed falling-out back in Season 4.

-Also expected to return as writers are James Wong (Glen Morgan's writing partner for much of their X-Files run, as well as their run as Season 2 showrunners on Millennium) and Darin Morgan (Glen's bro), a fan favorite who wrote some of the most beloved episodes in the show's history.

-William B. Davis and Mitch Pileggi will return in recurring roles, which should be interesting for half of that duo on how the character will return. Also guest starring is Joel McHale.

The pedigree is certainly there as far as writing goes (although I'm sure the only writer guaranteed to nail a great episode is Vince Gilligan, who won't be back), but I'm cautiously optimistic right now. These guys, especially the Brothers Morgan and James Wong, are twenty years past their involvement with the show. I'm not sure if the kinks will be worked out enough in six episodes. But I think there's potential, if promoted right, to attract a nice audience of old fans who didn't shell out the money to see the 2008 movie in theatres.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:23 am
New Server, Same X

Episode 3 Update

-The third episode (out of 6) will be written and directed by fan favorite Darin Morgan and will be entitled "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster". Love it. I do hope it's not too similar to Season 5's "The Post-Modern Prometheus", which was Chris Carter's answer to all of Darin's weird scripts.

Also, this is the first episode ever of the show to feature either Mulder or Scully's name in the title.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:48 pm
New Server, Same X

Also curious what Aquarius's unexpected Season 2 renewal means for David Duchovny's involvement in anything beyond the "miniseres" should The X-Files take off next year. Although, despite the fact that I would love to see it back as a regular series, I much prefer shorter seasons. Maybe a few more than six episodes though.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:50 pm
On autopilot for the summer

network series generally film over the course of 8 months with a 2 month break in the middle. They'd have to rearrange, but a sequel series should be pretty managable.

Also I'm not sure the series will continue that much longer. It's ratings after 6 episodes are only averaging 3.2 million.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:25 pm
New Server, Same X

Thegun wrote:
network series generally film over the course of 8 months with a 2 month break in the middle. They'd have to rearrange, but a sequel series should be pretty managable.

Also I'm not sure the series will continue that much longer. It's ratings after 6 episodes are only averaging 3.2 million.

Well NBC did renew it though. I don't know why really. For all intents and purposes, the ratings suck and the reviews are mediocre at best.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:19 pm
New Server, Same X

Chris Carter picked ten essential episodes to watch before the revival:

Pilot
Deep Throat
Beyond the Sea (Glen Morgan and James Wong)
The Erlenmeyer Flask
The Host
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (Darin Morgan)
Memento Mori (co-written with Vince Gilligan, John Shiban & Frank Spotnitz)
Post Modern Prometheus
Bad Blood (Vince Gilligan)
Milagro

It's amusing and hopefully not indicative of the miniseries that seven of the ten episodes are written by Chris Carter, with only one of those seven co-written by him. He picked requisite titles from noteworthy writers, but almost begrudgingly.

Not to say those aren't ten good episodes. But to nitpick, Deep Throat is a much better pilot episode than the actual pilot.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:30 pm
New Server, Same X

My favorite episodes - Part 1:

-Deep Throat
(A proper, fitting beginning for Mulder and Scully. If not for its existence as the actual first episode, the "Pilot" could be disregarded completely as it's the show's second episode that best sets up what the entire series would become. It's unfortunate that the show branched off into too many webs of confusion and convolution by the end, yet watching "Deep Throat", in all its youthful intrigue and wide-eyed awe, gives you the kind of excitement that you're in for something special with The X-Files. Anything and everything is possible.)

-Ice
(Glen Morgan and James Wong GOT what The X-Files should be. "Squeeze" and "Tooms" are terrific monster-of-the-week stories, "Beyond the Sea" is a chilling study of Dana Scully and her unbending skepticism versus her deep-rooted faith, and "Home" might be the show's best answer to the horror movie genre. But the duo's obvious The Thing rip-off, "Ice", is paranoid perfection, pitting Mulder and Scully against scientists underground in Alaska, with the threat of rage-inducing parasites that prove to be deadly adversaries. Bonus points for also pitting Mulder against Scully, and boasting a stellar cast of notable future TV stars (Xander Berkeley, Felicity Huffman, Steve Hytner, Jeff Kober.)

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:22 pm
now we know

Fox will air all 201 episodes from now until Jan 23rd, then on Jan 24th the new one(s) will start.

First footage (like, 3 seconds worth):

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Algren wrote:
Fox will air all 201 episodes from now until Jan 23rd, then on Jan 24th the new one(s) will start.

First footage (like, 3 seconds worth):

I don't think FOX is actually airing them more than implying that this is a way to catch up before the new series starts. At least in America I think it's available on all three major streaming services (Netflix, Amazon and Hulu) and DVD.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:09 am
Profile YIM
now we know

They are airing them...

Quote:
In anticipation of the Jan. 24, 2016, premiere of the new event series, Fox is celebrating 201 days of “The X-Files” with one episode per day in chronological order, starting today with the pilot and ending with the series finale on Jan. 23, 2016, just one day before the revival debut. All 201 episodes of “The X-Files” will be shown over the next 201 days.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-x-f ... 201535502/

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I just checked the schedule and they aren't :P

If you go on the official website it even says to "stream or pop in a DVD with us" - it's mostly to promote the revival through Twitter.

http://www.fox.com/the-x-files/article/ ... he-x-files

Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:00 pm
Profile YIM
New Server, Same X

Haha, kind of a cheap tactic. But I'll be damned if I won't be trying to get all 202 (I count the finale as two) episodes in before January.

For those interested (I'm sure it's only me), I'll be adding to my list of favorite episodes later.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:02 pm
now we know

thompsoncory wrote:
I just checked the schedule and they aren't :P

Ah ok. But why would Variety write it like that? Seems deliberately misleading.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

My favorite episodes - Part 2:

-E.B.E.
(Before Chris Carter took the show into murky waters and the overall storyline became convoluted beyond repair, Glen Morgan and James Wong proved that they not only got the show, they got where the show could and should go. "E.B.E." takes the stars and the viewers on a wild goose chase for something extraterrestrial. Just when we think we're going to get what we want, the carpet gets ripped out from under us, just like Mulder and Scully. Like Deep Throat before it, this was The X-Files mythology at its best, before things became muddled and horribly irreversible. This was a simple, "find the alien" hour of television.)

-Darkness Falls
(Not quite as popular with other fans as it is with me, Darkness Falls stands as one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. It's creepy, it's claustrophobic (despite being outdoors, the action is restricted to a cabin, lest our heroes venture outdoors after sundown), it's a mini-horror movie. The big baddies? Tiny, green-glowing bugs that swarm and spin its victims into a bizarre cocoon of doom. It's a much harder sell on paper, but Chris Carter proves here he was capable of writing for the show beyond the mythology of the series.)

-Little Green Men
(I hate to keep banging this drum, but Morgan and Wong were brilliant writers. It still astounds me that they never were able to translate that anywhere after The X-Files. In the Season 2 premiere, they take Mulder and stick him in Puerto Rico, specifically to a survey station which will be swarming with military types in 24 hours. Plenty of time to dig up some extraterrestrial goodness. It forces Mulder to question his own beliefs while coming face-to-face with what he's been chasing for so long. The episode swirls with growing dread and doubt from our two heroes as they face closure of the actual X-Files. It's a simple, effective story that has stood the test of time for me.)

Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:42 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I've decided to try and binge watch this. I've never seen it before. I'm 6 episodes in so far.

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:05 pm
Profile YIM
New Server, Same X

Keep in mind there are a lot of mediocre episodes to sift through, especially during Season 1 when they weren't quite sure what tone to go for.

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:29 am
New Server, Same X

My favorite episodes - Part 3:

-Humbug
(Season 2 is full of terrific episodes, including The Host, Irresistible, and any of the Duane Barry trilogy. But with the show starting to fly past the speed limit on the road to the overall mythology, it was Darin Morgan's debut script that grounded the show in reality, with the most surreal guest characters we'd seen to date, and perhaps since. Humbug is full of circus freaks, with enough bearded ladies and alligator men to make AHS: Freak Show jealous. The show had always rode the line between dark and light, but in Humbug, it's all light-hearted while maintaining a steady vision shrouded in darkness. They may be freaks, but they have feelings. And it all plays out to a thrilling, horror-movie conclusion, complete with Mulder and Scully chasing a supposed Fiji mermaid. There's a reason why Darin Morgan, absent from the show since its third season, was asked to pen one of the six original episodes to air next year: his four episodes are among the all-time favorites of many fans, myself included. Before Vince Gilligan played with the idea of The X-Files, Darin Morgan re-invented the show, turning the show on its head over and over again. We missed your sick humor, Darin.)

-Jose Chung's From Outer Space
(I hate to pick another Darin Morgan episode, though any list of essential episodes for non-fans has to include all four of his episodes. They all contain the same style, yet are unique from one another. I chose Jose Chung because it sticks closer to what the show was always about: aliens. It tells the story in multiple versions, each less reliable than the last, at the same time playing out as a parody of the show itself. Many shows are fortunate (or unfortunate perhaps) to be parodied, but The X-Files was a rare series to parody itself and do it perfectly, thanks to Darin.

One of the best parts of Darin's episodes was the grateful guest stars chosen. Each episode seemed to showcase at least one prominent guest appearance (Peter Boyle even won an Emmy for Clyde Bruckman), and none was more exciting to watch than game show icon Charles Nelson Reilly as Chung. He understood what was expected from him and delivered even more. It was a rare opportunity for an actor past his prime to reach a new audience. Reilly would reprise the role on sister series Millennium, for which he was Emmy nominated. This is a fun experience that best captured why everyone who became involved in the show ended up loving it, at least for the first few seasons.)

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:32 pm
New Server, Same X

My favorite episodes - Part 4:

-Unusual Suspects
(This, along with Season 6's "Three of a Kind", remain two of my episodes of the series, thanks to starring roles from recurring favorites, The Lone Gunmen. This one, penned by Vince Gilligan, tells the origin story of the trio, as well as how they came to meet Fox Mulder. These characters were years ahead of their time, cool, light-hearted nerds who took on conspiracy theories of all types. The characters proved so successful that they were given their own spinoff series, which unfortunately lasted just 13 episodes. Just a few years later, around the time when The Big Bang Theory took off, I believe the show could have struck it big. As such, this original Gunmen-centric episode is a classic and a must-view for anyone interested in catching up on The X-Files.)

-Triangle
(The X-Files often blazed trails, and this one is no exception. It's notable for two reasons: one, it was shot in such a way that necessitated it be shown in letterbox format, something that was largely new territory in 1999; and two, each sequence (roughly 10-11 minutes) was filmed to appear as one long cut. It was inspired heavily by Hitchcock's Rope, which utilized the same format, but wouldn't become widely known until Alfonso Cuaron adopted the trademark style for Children of Men and Gravity, as well as this year's Best Picture, Birdman. On top of that, Chris Carter's script is fun, placing Mulder aboard a ship that disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle in 1939. If not a necessary watch for fans, it's definitely noteworthy for its achievements.)

-X-Cops
(For my last essential pick, I go again to Vince Gilligan, who knew how to play with not just the characters but also the format. Here, there are three unique styles happening: first, it's a crossover with then-FOX mainstay, Cops; two, it plays out almost in the mockumentary style popularized by The Office and Modern Family years later; and three, at its heart, it's a found footage episode. The cameras of Cops picks up all the action. Despite airing after The Blair Witch Project terrorized audiences in 1999, this episode predates the found footage era by almost a decade. And the style is certainly creepy, as we feel like we're a part of a real life nightmare. Even better is Mulder embracing the publicity of Cops. A reality star before reality TV.)

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next