Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The X-Files Miniseries 2016 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: The X-Files Miniseries 2016
-Chris Carter's 10 Essential Episodes
Pilot
Deep Throat
Beyond the Sea
The Erlenmeyer Flask
The Host
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
Memento Mori
Post Modern Prometheus
Bad Blood
Milagro

-My 10 Essential Episodes
Deep Throat
Ice
E.B.E.
Darkness Falls
Little Green Men
Humbug
Jose Chung's From Outer Space
Unusual Suspects
Triangle
X-Cops

Only one overlapping pick, but I think my list is a better one to follow for what best describes the show. The best mythology episodes (Deep Throat, E.B.E., Little Green Men) are the earliest ones, before it became convoluted, while the show was best when humor was a key ingredient (Humbug, Jose Chung, Unusual Suspects). And of course, I couldn't forget some key horror stories (Ice, Darkness Falls).

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:26 am
New Server, Same X

News:

-Episode 4 is titled "Babylon". No writer-director info yet.

-The Lone Gunmen will be back!

-The biggest news is Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose will guest star in one episode as Agents Miller and Einstein, respectively. Of course this has sparked a rumor that, should the miniseries be a hit, these two could potentially star in a Next Generation-type spinoff.

My two cents: I would love to see the show continue. And I know the idea of David and Gillian playing these characters into their 50s is a bad one, not to mention likely impossible with their schedules. At the same time, Chris Carter tried this already with John Doggett and Monica Reyes in the last two seasons, and that never materialized. Mainly because you can't recreate Mulder and Scully.

But let's face it: there isn't going to be a character called Einstein without the idea of spinning that character off.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:55 am
New Server, Same X

Episode titles and writer-director info:

Episode 1: My Struggle
Written and Directed By Chris Carter

Episode 2: Home Again
Written and Directed By Glen Morgan
(Glen's previous episodes with James Wong: Ice, Die Hand Die Verletzt, One Breath, Home)

Episode 3: Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster
Written and Directed By Darin Morgan
(Darin's previous episodes: Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, War of the Copraphages)

Episode 4: Babylon

Episode 5 untitled
Written and Directed By James Wong
(James' previous episodes with Glen Morgan: Squeeze, Tooms, Beyond the Sea, The Field Where I Died)

Episode 6 untitled
From a Story By Chris Carter and Anne Simon

So I'm glad to see the involvement of Glen Morgan, James Wong and Darin Morgan, who haven't been with the show since Season 4 (Season 3 for Darin). However I'm a tad surprised that Frank Spotnitz, a longtime writer who most recently co-wrote the 2008 movie, and John Shiban aren't involved at all. It's not like they're busy with other projects. I would have also liked to see another episode by Duchovny.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 am
New Server, Same X

Monica Reyes and Scully's mom join the roster of returning guest stars, which includes CSM, Skinner and the Lone Gunmen.

I'm kind of surprised at so many returns. Hopefully they're mostly confined to one episode. The show would benefit from keeping the returning stars to a minimum. Especially when it concerns characters whose time had expired.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:28 am
New Server, Same X

thompsoncory wrote:
I've decided to try and binge watch this. I've never seen it before. I'm 6 episodes in so far.

Did you ever keep going with the show?

I actually started re-watching the show a year before the announcement, but dropped off at the start of Season 3 and have since picked it back up. Just finished Jose Chung's From Outer Space (brilliant as always). Not sure how free time will allow me to catch up before the new season, but I'm sure hoping I can do it.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:37 pm
You must have big rats

How do you think this will do ratings-wise? I mean the show fell hard in its final seasons, but it used to be huge and there is palpable hype about its return. If something like "Heroes Reborn" can get 6 Milion viewers/2.0 demo for the first episode, then "The X-Files" should be at leats good for twice those numbers, right?

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

It should, but I'm worried. There are two extreme opposite examples to go by: Heroes Reborn is disappointing and 24: Live Another Day pulled mediocre numbers. But maybe the absence wasn't long enough for either show to gather viewers who didn't recall that later seasons for both shows were often disappointing (or terrible, in Heroes' case).

So The X-Files has been off for 14 years (as of next year), so the absence is definitely big. But maybe the wait is too long? And of course the 2008 film is recent enough to still leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

It'll be interesting. I can see it being a huge hit for nostalgia's sake, and I can see it coming back with an indifferent "Eh...".

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:32 pm
New Server, Same X

We're about 48 hours away from the most anticipated TV premiere of my life. Early reviews suggest Chris Carter's opener, My Struggle, is more of the latter half of the show, suggesting a messy slog of a return, but episodes 2 and 3 are more classic X-Files.

That's probably my biggest concern. Love Chris Carter, he has created some of my favorite shows of all time. But he is his own worst enemy. And unlike the original run, he doesn't have Frank Spotnitz, John Shiban and Vince Gilligan guiding him, especially for the mythology of the show.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:56 pm
On autopilot for the summer

You should change the thread to Mr. Ecks Files Blog.

I can't really get into this. The show in general dropped ever since the first movie came out (and they tried to move the series around it)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:21 pm
New Server, Same X

It feels like I'm going alone on this one. Not a lot of interest on here. I sure hope interest is higher for TV.

My personal guess, without a football-inflated lead-in, the show will average 8-12 million, most likely in the lower half of that prediction. I honestly won't be shocked if it goes lower, because so many factors will play against it. But one will not be able to blame anyone for a lack of promotion. If this fails, it's because of many reasons, but mainly that interest has simply died.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm
New Server, Same X

Kind of an interesting-only-to-me fact about the show. In Season 9, the opening credits changed to reflect the expanded cast in the wake of Duchovny's departure. Annabeth Gish was added to the main cast, alongside Gillian Anderson, Robert Patrick and Mitch Pileggi. But another cool addition was the inclusion of about a half-dozen names per episode that briefly flashed on screen. These were names selected from the FOX official message board for The X-Files. They were screen names, most likely selected at random, so that certain fans could forever be a part of their favorite show.

I am one of those fans.

My name on the message board was Thurgood2, taken from one of my then-favorite shows, The PJS (Thurgood Stubbs was the main character, voiced by Eddie Murphy). The name pops up in the opening credits for the episode "4-D". Considering my love for the show, it's kind of neat to know I am forever immortalized on The X-Files, no matter how meaningless this is to anyone who is not a die-hard fan (and even then, die-hards probably wouldn't be that impressed either). Never mind that I can't prove this either, as the message board is long gone (I assume). But still. I know it and it's a cool fact to me.

And yes, I seriously used the words "forever immortalized".

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:16 pm

I think I'd be more excited if the 2nd film didn't happen (which I actually thought was much better than the first) it just doesn't have the allure it once had, this seems more like Gillian's island meets the globetrotters.

If it returns to form I'm down

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:22 am
The Wall

The best thing that happened so far is the producers trying to pay Gillian half what they did Duchovny. Aren't they a lovely bunch. Guess they didn't like Arquette's winning speech.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:46 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I wonder what the real story is there. To me, of course the first offer is going to be low, and that's why negotiations exist. If you're going to offer someone money to do something, it's going to be low, they'll go high, and you meet somewhere.

I mean, of course they should both get the same pay, but unless Duchovny and Gillian negotiated with each other, I don't know if it's as scandalous as she makes it sound, considering in the end, they're getting paid the same.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:36 am

Not really, David has continued to be a tv star. Anderson hasn't done shit in over a decade. Her rate should be significantly lower. It's not exactly a character or role that can demand a huge salary anymore.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:12 pm
New Server, Same X

But still. It's Mulder and Scully. They weren't going to do it with just Duchovny. Although, it would have been ironic after he left the show for the majority of the final two seasons.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:58 pm
The Wall

Many people would have dismissed it if it was just Mulder.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I love The X-Files, so I'm looking forward to this, but from what I'm hearing about this new series is that it takes a while for it to get good which doesn't sound promising. Anyways, for now my expectations aren't very high.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:06 pm
Pure Phase

Thegun wrote:
Anderson hasn't done shit in over a decade.

I often try not to respond to Thegun, but this is unfair. Her crime-drama series The Fall is a hit in Britain and Netflix acquired it in the U.S. (they promote it as one of their original programs). She received Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for her performance in the BBC's Bleak House miniseries and played a significant role in Hannibal.

Yes, Duchovny had Californication, which Showtime ran into and then under the ground after a well-received first few seasons, and a litany of flop films (Trust the Man, The Joneses, Phantom), but Anderson has hardly done nothing.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:26 am

Of course she's done stuff. But hardly anything in the sense that would require her to have any type of pull for a big salary. I'm merely speaking from a business sense. And for the most part, General American audiences haven't seen anything she has done. Hannibal had what 1-2 million viewers when she was on Hannibal.

She's a name, and will always find decent work, but her status is more in the High D low C range now.

Responding to Ecks, they would never have come back without Mulder, I mean the series was pretty terrible without him. You could have paired him with any skeptic and it would have been greenlit. Her involvement from a money standpoint is strictly fan service. And I'm sure her $ is easily her biggest payday in a long while.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 am
Sbil

Episode 1 was kind of a disaster, frankly. I'm not ruling out the quality of the future episodes though.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:25 pm

13.5 million viewers is huge. Even 24 only managed 8. Extra wait must have helped. The 2008 film must have really looked like shit to flop like it did. Here's hoping it can stay strong. I just hope the quality is there

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:47 pm
Pure Phase

The second film, in addition to being awful, was completely, profoundly overshadowed by The Dark Knight. Only the absolute core X-Files niche noticed it, and it disappointed many of them.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:52 pm
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:
13.5 million viewers is huge. Even 24 only managed 8. Extra wait must have helped.

...it aired right after the NFC Championship game.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:04 pm
New Server, Same X

My one takeaway from the premiere was that Mulder loves the sound of his own voice.

So much of it was definitely awful, as I expected once reviews started coming in, but now that we have ALL OF THAT out of the way (let's face it, the whole show was one long explanation, and I had my fill of that with the Scream Queens finale), I really do believe the show can be good. At the very least, the three non-Carter episodes will be solid.

And I hate to shit on the premiere, after all the hyping I've done, but Chris Carter definitely hasn't improved in the 14 years of being mostly dormant. And let's face it: the show should drop the alien/not-alien BS and just focus on monster-of-the-week episodes. They're never going to satisfy anyone with the mythology episodes.

My favorite non-intended-to-be-funny moment might have been the Mulder and Scully scene outside of Sveta's home, where they seemed to crowbar as many taglines into the conversation as they could. "You WANT to BELIEVE, you really WANT TO BELIEVE!" "I do want to believe, I want to believe the truth is out there!"

The best moment was CSM's tracheotomy cig.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next