Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Black Mirror (Channel 4/Netflix) 
Pure Phase

Post Black Mirror (Channel 4/Netflix)

This anthology series debuted in England four years ago, but I am only now catching it on Netflix. So far, I have watched the first two episodes, "The National Anthem" and "Fifteen Million Merits." It is definitely a very stylish and entertaining blend of speculative fiction and macabre humor. And there are a lot of recognizable, talented British character actors in both episodes. My only (relatively minor) beef: in the first two episodes, the first 50 minutes (the world building, the unpredictable scenarios, the increasing desperation of the characters) are much more satisfying than the a-shade-too-tidy, here-is-the-satiric-moral resolutions. Still, I am eager to watch more.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:39 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Black Mirror (Channel 4/Netflix)
Netflix U.S. belatedly added the "White Christmas" special last month. I just watched it. Very involving and mind-bending and, in the end, creepy with strong performances by Jon Hamm and Rafe Spall.

It is going to be incredible to have 12 new episodes this year or next.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:33 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I was home sick from work today so I binged this. On the "White Christmas" episode now. The best episodes hands down were the Hayley Atwell/Domnhall Gleeson one and the one with Lenora Crichlow, which was actually terrifying. I hated the last episode of season 2.

Tue May 03, 2016 5:09 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Joe Wright is directing an episode of the 2016 season. :) :)

It stars Alice Eve and Bryce Dallas Howard.

Other directors include James Watkins, who made Eden Lake and The Woman in Black, and 10 Cloverfield Lane's Dan Trachtenberg.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:17 pm
Pure Phase

"San Junipero." Wow.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:17 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I've watched three episodes this season so far. "Nosedive," "Playtest" and "San Junipero."

All three were absolutely fantastic.

I loved the worldbuilding of "Nosedive" and Bryce Dallas Howard's performance was fantastic. The entire thing was so whimsical but also very true to life. It almost felt like an extension of Mike Schur's "Good Place" universe. It was tense but the episode was surprisingly fun. Joe Wright did a great job.

"Playtest" was haunting and tense as hell and the end was really upsetting. Fantastic direction from Dan Trachtenberg.

I ADORED "San Junipero." Maybe my favorite episode of this series ever. Mackenzie Davis and especially Gugu Mbatha Raw prove themselves as superstars in this in my opinion and have amazing chemistry. The soundtrack and atmosphere are also great and the whole thing is just so touching. I've loved Gugu for several years now and her scene at the beach at the end was fantastic and proved why. The camera just loves her and I seriously think I could watch her in anything.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:23 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Wasn't feeling "Shut Up and Dance" at all.

First weak episode of the season for me. Hated the characters (which was kind of the point I guess) and the twist was stupid.

Last edited by thompsoncory on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:02 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

I found "Shut Up and Dance" very suspenseful, almost to a nauseating degree, though it did not need the final acrid twist.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:24 pm
Pure Phase

Every episode of this series so far, listed from best to worst (though none are remotely bad), in my opinion:

1. "Be Right Back"
2. "San Junipero"
3. "White Christmas"
4. "The Entire History of You"
5. "Playtest"
6. "Fifteen Million Merits"
7. "Hated in the Nation"
8. "The National Anthem"
9. "Nosedive"
10. "White Bear"
11. "Men Against Fire"
12. "Shut Up and Dance"
13. "The Waldo Moment"

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:26 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

"Hated In The Nation" sucks. It's so boring.

I dug "Men Against Fire."

Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:55 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

In what may be a bit of a shady move, Netflix has submitted every episode of the third season as a standalone TV movie for Emmy consideration.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:58 pm
The Wall

That's ridiculous.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Four episodes in and I'm liking this alot. I agree with David's original post though, the show has yet to find a good ending. It 's like they finish the story and then realize "oh wait, we still have to hold up the black mirror" and give us some corny material that belongs on Mr. Robot. "Pig sex is the first great artwork of the 21st century" fuck off. :P

Otherwise very good though.

1. The National Anthem
2. The Waldo Moment
3. The Entire History of You
4. Be Right Back
5. White Christmas
6. Fifteen Million Merits
7. White Bear

*edited rankings

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Forum General

It only took me like two weeks to finish the first 4 Seasons. Once I started this it was pretty hard to stop and I like how they gradually increased the amount of episodes. I'd love it if we got something like 10 episodes next season, but if not I wouldn't complain either. Anyways, this series is fantastic and I'm surprised I don't know more people who watch it. I honestly wish I had jumped on it back when it first dropped in 2011, but at least now I can look forward for more seasons. The way they are able to get so many talented and diverse American and English actors together and make it all work is just brilliant and I really give the creators credit for pulling it off.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:16 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Oh I love this series. I started it back in 2011 and its still going strong. Other than a few episodes here and there it is fabulous and continuously surprising. The opening episodes are GREAT and I loved White Christmas as well.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:21 am
now we know

So I started watching this today. Episode 1 is terrific. Never been a fan of Charlie Brooker on the dozen-or-so times I've seen him on panel shows, but he has created a brilliantly dark and responsive anthology series here. Cannot wait for the next episode. I have all from the first two series. A fellow British expat gave them to me months back. I will decide to download the Netflix series' if I'm still high on it at the end of series two. Probably will.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Watched the first series now. Second episode is interesting, but the weakest of the three. Last one is terrific like the first. Kebbell is superb. Cannot wait to watch the second season.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

"Be Right Back" might be my favourite one yet. Such an optimistic take on grief and loss. It's beautiful and cultivates a yearning for those that left us too soon.

I'm going to keep a running list..

Series 1
"National Anthem" A
"Fifteen Million Merits" B-
"The Entire History of You" A-

Series 2
"Be Right Back" A

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:24 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Fuck, what a sensational second episode! Complete 180 of emotions. Genius television.

Series 1
"National Anthem" A

Series 2
"Be Right Back" A
"White Bear" A

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:07 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The third episode is just ok. Weakest one of them all. It has some interesting lines, but the overall idea didn't wow me.

Series 1
"National Anthem" A

Series 2
"Be Right Back" A
"White Bear" A
"The Waldo Moment" C+

Looking forward to the extended-runtime Christmas special.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

My grades:

A
"Be Right Back"
"San Junipero"
"White Christmas"

A-
"The Entire History of You"
"Hang the DJ"
"Playtest"
"USS Callister"

B+
"Black Museum"
"Crocodile"
"Fifteen Million Merits"
"Hated in the Nation"
"The National Anthem"
"Nosedive"

B
"Metalhead"
"White Bear"

B-
"Men Against Fire"
"Shut Up and Dance"
"The Waldo Moment"

C+
"Arkangel"

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:54 pm
now we know

Loved "White Christmas". I guessed that
Spoiler: show
the little girl would be Asian and that Jon Hamm was on a mission.
Not immediately, but with enough time before they were revealed. But it still didn't affect the enjoyment of the episode. Really, really well-made. No good comes from blocking people, lol.

Series 1
"National Anthem" A

Series 2
"Be Right Back" A
"White Bear" A
"The Waldo Moment" C+
"White Christmas" A

S'pose I'd better start downloading series 3.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 am
Profile WWW
now we know

So I started series 3. "Nosedive" is superb, and directed by Joe Wright too. Didn't know that until I saw his name at the end. The world created here is one that I am sort of familiar with in certain aspects, so it touched a nerve there (but in a good way). Especially being in China with the idea that everyone is always on their phones and very fake just to improve their guanxi. Also in the way that I am the opposite of that but am probably happier at my core because I act the way I truly feel instead of the face to get points. It's a remarkably accurate portrayal of the way that liberal west life is going. Funnily, also, though, that very rich people are not the nicest people, so it would be interesting if they would be the ones with higher scores or not.

Bryce Dallas Howard was terrific, as was Alive Eve. I feel sorry for Bryce Dallas Howard, in a way, because no producer is going to want to hire her if they need to cast someone that looks exactly like her but thin, because they'll just ask Jessica Chastain. Anyway, US Black Mirror is off to a good start!

Series 1
"National Anthem" A

Series 2
"Be Right Back" A
"White Bear" A
"The Waldo Moment" C+
"White Christmas" A

Series 3
"Nosedive" B+

Sat May 19, 2018 3:35 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Yep, another good episode. I expected more scares, but the result was decent enough...and it was turning his damn phone on that killed him, which is a life lesson for sure! Series 3 is pretty consistent at the moment.

Series 1
"National Anthem" A

Series 2
"Be Right Back" A
"White Bear" A
"The Waldo Moment" C+
"White Christmas" A

Series 3
"Nosedive" B+
"Playtest" B+

Sun May 20, 2018 4:34 am
Profile WWW
now we know

So "Shut Up and Dance" does the same bait-trick that "White Bear" does, but it was still an excellent episode. The best one yet of series 3.

Series 1
"National Anthem" A

Series 2
"Be Right Back" A
"White Bear" A
"The Waldo Moment" C+
"White Christmas" A

Series 3
"Nosedive" B+
"Playtest" B+