Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 "Big Little Lies" (HBO) 
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: "Big Little Lies" (HBO)
Yeah, hard to believe next week is the finale. Everyone has been absolutely sensational. I hate that Reese and Nicole will be going up against each other because they are both perfect here. Laura Dern is also fantastic and Shailene Woodley and Alexander Skarsgard have also been doing sensational work.

I definitely think David's theory is true and I'm also convinced that the twins are the ones who keep hurting Annabella, mostly because they just seem so detached and there's always scenes of them playing violent videogames, etc.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:28 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Yeah I've thought that about the twins for a while. I can't imagine this and what David said not being accurate.

It's just hard to believe everything can get wrapped up in one more hour long episode. Felt like there would be a few left.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:51 pm
Sbil

Witherspoon and Woodley were fantastic in "Burning Love." This show is really giving all of its players individual time to shine. Such a great ensemble.

I'm honestly depressed next week is the last episode. I could've watched 15 episodes of this!

Also, I'm obsessed with Chloe and Ziggy and their love of old school music.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:03 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

OMFG.

That finale was insane and absolutely amazing. I was wondering how Zoe Kravitz would tie into the narrative and now I know :P

I feel like they're hinting it could continue too. PLEASE. This entire cast is amazing!

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:33 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Reese Witherspoon is out of this world amazing on this show and I identify with her character so much, but I feel like this is Nicole's Emmy right? She's equally flawless and I hate that they are competing with each other.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:34 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Yeah, the whole ensemble was amazing but Nicole ended up being the MVP. She was incredible.

Wish I didn't read the speculation about who Ziggy's dad was 'cause I bet I would've been so shocked but it was such a great show.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 am
Sbil

I'm so sad this is over. A powerful, stirring finale to what has been an absolutely wonderful season of television.

The way they managed to make "The property manager called" such ominous words...wow. And then the buildup of tension at the party was incredible, even though I've read the book and knew exactly what was going to happen.

The slight changes they made from the book's ending were honestly perfect. They only faintly implied Bonnie's abusive past here leading her to be the one who pushes Perry. And in the book, Perry just attacked Celeste. Here, he attacks ALL of these women. They changed it into something better: a circle of protective female friendship. The wordless sequence was so, SO well-done. And Shailene Woodley played the moment of realization that Perry was her rapist so well. They really just trusted the audience to grasp what the ending is saying without spelling it out for anyone.

I do wish we had been given another scene with Madeline and Ed, though. There was definitely some major stuff left unsaid there.

This was an impeccably well acted series, with Reese continuing to put an end to her doubters that sprouted out over the years.

But Nicole Kidman just ran away with this whole thing by the end. This feels like her finest acting moment of her entire career.

As good as this show was, perhaps the most important thing about it is its raw, unforced portrayal of domestic abuse. There must be women who have been watching who are victims, and I sincerely hope this show can play a role in leading them to seek out help. The last line of the book, said by Celeste, is "this can happen to anyone."

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:23 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The last 20 minutes or so were honestly some of the most stressful moments of television I've seen since like "Breaking Bad." I was on the edge of my seat.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:35 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

The finale was so good that I actually watched it twice. A master class in acting from Nicole Kidman. I just loved it all so much.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:13 pm
Wallflower

It's weird, because I'd give this show an A, but I really don't think any individual episode was worthy of a rating THAT high. Maybe the finale I suppose. It's just so damn good as a whole. I don't really think there was a standout episode.

Finale was terrific. I was left wanting more though dammit. Please, please let them continue. It's that fucking good.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:13 am
Keeping it Light

I just started watching this. Great pilot, cast is excellent as expected , especially surprised by Shailene Woodley.

Tue May 16, 2017 11:50 am
Keeping it Light

This was very enjoyable, great drama.

A-

Tue May 30, 2017 12:55 am
The Wall

Finally watched this. Even though all mystery plots were quite easy to guess it's a brief show that doesn't suffer much because a huge part of why it's so great is the fact that it's smartly focused more on how people react to things and how others perceive them.

The acting in this is brilliant and Mau was definitely right in the other thread that the best actress category at this year's Emmy's is brutal. The most brutal I can remember. Nicole, Reese, Susan, Jessica - all terrific performances worthy of a win, but Nicole pulls in front. The couch scenes where she realizes she has to leave Perry = win in the bag.

Also I hope they don't make another season. This is a great and easily re-watchable mini show that stands on its own.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I thought the season premiere was great. Meryl lol she's gonna clean up awards for this.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:46 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

We just binged season 1. Really great stuff. The finale was terrific. Loved the build-up/tension of all the couples splitting up at the party leaving you guessing which husband was going to die. My only minor gripe is that everything happened about how you expected it to, with Perry being the rapist and him being the one who was killed.

But just tremendous acting by all involved.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:12 am
Forum General

Season 1 was great and after that premiere I'm not expecting anything less from Season 2. Meryl Streep is killing it so far, and this cast just has great chemistry together.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:47 pm
Forum General

This season was fantastic. I really hope we get another season, because I want to continue following these characters. These last two episodes were just powerhouses in terms of acting with the performances of both Streep and Kidman during those courtroom scenes. Laura Dern was really killing it too which surprised me considering I don't think I have ever quite seen her in a role like this, but she pretty much owned every scene she was in whether it was with the husband or Meryl Streep's character which were all hilarious btw.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:30 pm
Keeping it Light

Yeah, agree. It was another great season, I think I preferred season 1 because of it's mystery, but in terms of acting and storytelling this is just as good and would like to see more of it too.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:23 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Meryl Streep gave one of the better dark comedy performances I've ever seen. I LOVED/HATED her.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:57 am
Wallflower

Show was still fantastic in Season 2. Honestly don't know which season I think is better. Laura Dern was the MVP of the season. She was brilliant. This needs another season though. It just doesn't work as a final season. Honestly I would like it to go on even longer than that but at the very least it needs one more.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2