Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Twin Peaks coming back (Lynch directing) 
Us v Them

Post Re: Twin Peaks coming back (Lynch directing)
oh my

tears of joy in my eyes

Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:44 pm
Grill

:yes:

Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:05 am
You must have big rats

Yes. yes. yes.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Here's the new trailer:

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:32 am
Extraordinary

I'm watching the show for the first time, got up to Episode 7 of S2 where you find out who killed Laura. It's so strange but I'm really digging it.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:27 pm
Cream of the Crop

Be sure to enjoy his TV work, because David Lynch is no longer directing movies. :(
Quote:
Lynch confirmed that his last feature film will be 2006’s Inland Empire.

“Things changed a lot. So many films were not doing well at the box office even though they might have been great films and the things that were doing well at the box office weren’t the things that I would want to do.”

Sat May 13, 2017 5:56 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I binged the entire series over the past two weeks and while I wasn't head over heels for it it's definitely very intriguing stuff and you can clearly see the influence it had on so many things that came after it. Season 2, Episode 7 was the high point for me, and while everything that came after kind of sucked the finale was great. The movie was also very chilling.

I watched the first four episodes of the revival last night and this morning. It's definitely a slow burn but there were quite a few unsettling sequences. Episode 4 is where the plot really starts to get moving.

Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile YIM
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I'm liking this alt-Cooper

Mon May 22, 2017 1:38 pm
The Wall

Quote:
The heavily hyped return of “Twin Peaks” on Showtime didn’t draw much of an audience Sunday, with scarcely more than half a million people tuning in to the two-hour premiere.

The premiere, which came nearly 26 years after the show last aired on ABC, drew just 506,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating among adults 18-49. It finished well out of the Top 25 original shows on cable for the day. Both its premium cable competitors, “The Leftovers” on HBO (0.3, 770,000) and “American Gods” on Starz (0.3, 631,000) drew somewhat larger audiences — as did the likes of “Keeping Up with the Karadashians” (0.6, 1.33 million) and “Naked and Afraid” (0.6, 1.99 million).

I never expected the show to suddenly catch on despite having cult status. But I definitely expected that there would be more initial curiosity. It doesn't help that Lynch decided it would be good to start the revival with another hardly incomprehensible plot of Cooper's return. It's like he forgot that part of the reason TP initially caught on was that it had a clear and simple hook - who killed Laura Palmer. You would probably need a book to explain what's currently going on and even then some confusion would remain.

Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

_axiom wrote:
Quote:
The heavily hyped return of “Twin Peaks” on Showtime didn’t draw much of an audience Sunday, with scarcely more than half a million people tuning in to the two-hour premiere.

The premiere, which came nearly 26 years after the show last aired on ABC, drew just 506,000 viewers and a 0.2 rating among adults 18-49. It finished well out of the Top 25 original shows on cable for the day. Both its premium cable competitors, “The Leftovers” on HBO (0.3, 770,000) and “American Gods” on Starz (0.3, 631,000) drew somewhat larger audiences — as did the likes of “Keeping Up with the Karadashians” (0.6, 1.33 million) and “Naked and Afraid” (0.6, 1.99 million).

I never expected the show to suddenly catch on despite having cult status. But I definitely expected that there would be more initial curiosity. It doesn't help that Lynch decided it would be good to start the revival with another hardly incomprehensible plot of Cooper's return. It's like he forgot that part of the reason TP initially caught on was that it had a clear and simple hook - who killed Laura Palmer. You would probably need a book to explain what's currently going on and even then some confusion would remain.

Quite the competitive night for cable shows especially when AG and Leftovers pretty much have an overlap of core audience with Twin Peaks. I personally don't watch Leftovers but I watch AG first and then tune to Twin Peaks almost 2 hours later

Tue May 23, 2017 12:41 pm
The Wall

I don't know how much overlap those shows really do have, but still I think that a long awaited return of arguably the most cult show in the history of US TV should get those eyeballs first if only for the premiere.

Tue May 23, 2017 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

I kind of liked these 4 episodes so far. I mean it's still a show that takes far more time than it actually needs, but this time at least it's much more intriguing than whatever the hell the show turned into once they revealed Laura's killer.

Lynch definitely didn't make it easy for people to get into this revival though. It takes a lot of patience to sit through this.

Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

This show is soooo slow paced. It reminds me of that soap opera Passions. You could literally skip a whole week of episodes and when you came back people would still be trapped in Tabitha's basement looking at the door with smoke and red light coming from behind. At one point during the latest episode I went to take a leak and when I came back Naomi was still doing Dougie/Cooper's tie. So it didn't even bother rewinding.

I think Showtime's bid for higher number of episodes definitely didn't pay off as they didn't get more story, just random scenes that stretch out whatever Lynch wanted to tell for the ending of Twin Peaks and I think it will turn off a lot of people that weren't necessarily big fans, but were definitely into checking the show out again.

The ratings for episodes 3 and 4 were terrible, but those episodes have been available online right after episodes 1 and 2 aired, so it will be interesting to see how episode 5 fares.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Don't fret, people. The plot starts moving in episode no. 8!

;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:06 am
The Wall

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but I thought episode 7 started to move things forward or at least finally connecting stuff slowly.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:10 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Ummmm David, have we seen the same episode? While intriguing it was definitely a simple "explanation" of the origin of BOB and Laura and whole good vs evil story TP has going on. But personally I think this didn't move plot one bit.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think I stopped on episode 4. I'll catch up eventually but hearing it hasn't really picked up is frustrating.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:53 pm
Pure Phase

It was a joke, _axiom.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:36 pm
The Wall

David wrote:
It was a joke, _axiom.

Got light?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

The eighth episode was a waste of time.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:27 pm
Profile YIM
The Wall

I'm not really sure Lynch did much with these 18 hours. Sure, there were some intriguing episodes, some very memorable scenes, but for the most part (considering the ending) it was unfortunately a waste of time. I don't feel like (yet another) ambiguous ending was the way to go after 25 years of waiting (even though it was a nice shout out to the original series and a memorable ending).

Sure, fans will say - but that's Lynch. OK, but was this really Twin Peaks? Was this the sequel the show needed? Or was it just another way for Lynch to revisit all of the themes he has been recycling throughout his movie career ever since Twin Peaks seemingly with very little connection to Twin Peaks the show?

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, the finale was disappointing, especially since it seemed like it was leading somewhere with that first hour.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:08 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]