Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 The Leftovers (HBO) 
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Leftovers (HBO)
"It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World" is maybe the strangest Leftovers episode ever. I enjoyed it a lot, though not as much as the absolutely sensational, devastating "No Room at the Inn." I am going to assume the Frasier elements are just noise—eccentricity for the sake of eccentricity (which the series does indulge in, albeit in an electrifying way)—but Bill Camp's third appearance is definitely intriguing.

Hard to believe there are only three episodes left.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon May 15, 2017 11:58 pm
Sbil

Oh man. I was not prepared for how devastating this episode was. Amy Brenneman broke my heart. The scene with Laurie and Nora on the cliff was one of the very best scenes ever on this show. "Same time next week?" :(

I hope that was the last we see of Laurie. Not that I wouldn't want to see more of Brenneman, which is always a good thing. But this was such a powerful ending to her character, and I like that her fate is ambiguous because it's so true to the character of Laurie.

Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, Amy Brenneman was incredible.

Thu May 25, 2017 7:51 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I am absolutely bowing down to Carrie Coon for that fucking flawless, stunning performance she just gave in that series finale. Holy fuck. Incredible. That last monologue sent chills down my spine.

I adored the finale. It was absolutely beautiful and profound and the perfect ending to this show.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:20 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Incredibly poignant, fascinating finale to a wild ride of a series. And it did answer the key question,
Spoiler: show
with the revelation of "the departed" being in an Another Earth-type realm where, in fact, everyone else departed.

The nature of the Bill Camp character may be the series' biggest lingering mystery.

Love this series. So satisfying. Glad they were able to tell this story through to the end.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:30 pm
Sbil

It was one of the most beautiful endings to any TV show I can ever remember. I was full out crying by the end. When that theme music kicked in for the last time, I was a goner.

Justin Theroux did really phenomenal work last week and in this finale too, but Carrie Coon is just indescribable. Nora's entire explanation of going to the other side gave me chills.

I'll miss this so much. I already know that, despite being criminally underwatched in its original run despite the critical acclaim, people are going to discover this show over the years and realize what they were missing out on.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:29 am
The Wall

Libs wrote:
Ialready know that, despite being criminally underwatched in its original run despite the critical acclaim, people are going to discover this show over the years and realize what they were missing out on.

Sorry, but that's not going to happen. Maybe if it were the 80s or 90s when it was much easier to gain cult status, but these days things move so fast, shows come and go, people haven't got time to check out older shows. Especially not the ones that never caught on with the general public so you're not catching up so you know what the fuss was all about.

The Leftovers wasn't even a show ahead of its time theme wise, plot wise or something like that. It's just a show that could never gain a big audience.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

_axiom wrote:
Libs wrote:
Ialready know that, despite being criminally underwatched in its original run despite the critical acclaim, people are going to discover this show over the years and realize what they were missing out on.

Sorry, but that's not going to happen. Maybe if it were the 80s or 90s when it was much easier to gain cult status, but these days things move so fast, shows come and go, people haven't got time to check out older shows. Especially not the ones that never caught on with the general public so you're not catching up so you know what the fuss was all about.

The Leftovers wasn't even a show ahead of its time theme wise, plot wise or something like that. It's just a show that could never gain a big audience.

That's not true at all. Look at what happened to HBO's own The Wire. Seriously unnoticed during its original run, then people caught on after it was over years later.

You said in a previous post that you've only seen the first season and didn't like it so I don't think you're really equipped as an expert on this subject.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:57 am
The Wall

Not true about The Wire. It caught on a lot of buzz and recommendations online during season 3 or 4. I remember because that was the reason why it started airing here and there was a lot of talk because Dead Like Me and Oz started to air at the same time - all cable buzz shows back then.

Yes I only watched season one, but apparently about 50% of the viewers of season 1 didn't enjoy it enough to even come back for season 2 premiere, let alone the rest of the series.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

What is your vendetta against this show? :P Leave this thread.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:11 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

The Wire just came out at the wrong time, if it aired 2008-2014 I bet it surges in popularity by the end like Breaking Bad. I know some people read it in a dense way but it's still an entertaining cops and robbers show with humours and colourful bad guys, making it a lot more accessible than something like The Leftovers. The Leftovers potentially could be remembered as much as Deadwood ten years from now, another show I don't like that much, though

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:29 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Carrie Coon delivered a masterclass in acting last night, regardless of whether someone liked the finale or not. She will undoubtedly be robbed of an Emmy win.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5