Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 "Game of Thrones" Season 8 Discussion 
Keeping it Light

Post Re: "Game of Thrones" Season 8 Discussion
I also agree that while some of the outcomes might be shocking, they're also all fine within the confinements of what u expect from the show even if it's just the element of surprise. But the writing itself of how it got to these outcomes has been too short sighted, getting away cheap with coming to conclusions instead of fleshing things out, another example of this is the random coincidental encounter between Euron and Jaime. So it really just feels that RR had given the characters' destinies to the show writers, and they didn't feel inspired or have simply just been incapable to tie the things together well. They've acted like wanting to have get rid of things asap. I did enjoy watching episode 3 and 5 of this season quite a lot because we've seem shit gone down and it's been shot pretty well. The other episodes have just felt pretty meaningless in resolving the story, but nonetheless we have just gotten an anticipated finale season we didn't have to wait years for, that impatience has just also hurt its epicness. The show has gone from award winning drama in earlier seasons to empty character fueled action in the last.

Mon May 13, 2019 8:02 pm
100% That Bitch

Jon has NEVER done anything.

He was built up for yeaaaaars and he has literally done nothing. He is the most useless character in all of GoT universe

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The more I think about it and the more old clips I rewatch the more it makes sense. She always had a vicious streak but she directed it towards people she thought were the bad guys (like the slave masters). The psycho was always lurking there. And on top of that, what were Missandei, good and pure and loyal Missandei's last words to her? "Dracarys". She basically told her "I've seen this place from the inside now, and burn it all".

Daenerys never bonded with the people of Westeros like she did with the people in Essos. She felt more of a foreigner at Winterfell than she did anywhere in the other continent. She only bonded with John, and then he doesn't want her anymore. At this point all she has left is her desire to be the Queen, and the only way to do that is to rule by fear as a tyrant.

Mon May 13, 2019 10:28 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Mau wrote:

He was built up for yeaaaaars and he has literally done nothing. He is the most useless character in all of GoT universe

??? He alerted the world to the threat of the white walkers and brought Daenerys to the fight plus without him all those dragonglass weapons would't have been made. Without John the world would've ended.

Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 pm
Extraordinary

Mau wrote:

Here here!

All he’s done is lose fights, get murdered, get scores of soldiers killed a dragon killed and now maybe Dany killed because he has to tell the supposed truth. Can’t stand him. Literally thousands died because of his inept leadership.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon May 13, 2019 11:08 pm
Extraordinary

Barrabás wrote:
Mau wrote:

??? He alerted the world to the threat of the white walkers and brought Daenerys to the fight plus without him all those dragonglass weapons would't have been made. Without John the world would've ended.

Those weapons did diddly squat. The NK was killed with valerian steel anyway. Could have dealt with KL then deal with the NK who would have had no dragon if not were for JS.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon May 13, 2019 11:10 pm
Keeping it Light

nghtvsn wrote:
a dragon killed

I'd put that on Tyrion.

Definitely the most inexplicable thing in the whole show still was the idea to capture a wight, especially in regards to what they thought they could achieve with it (get Cersei in the fold)...that put things so much on their head and lead to consequences that could probably be easily avoided if they would not have carried out that non-sensible plan.

Tue May 14, 2019 12:25 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I'm pretty sure Yara and her fleet + Dorne will come to support Jon in the last episode. Looks like Varys managed to send out a few ravens with messages on Jon's claim to the throne.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue May 14, 2019 1:12 am
100% That Bitch

Ok this needs to stop. 49% on Rotten Tomatoes? For "The Bells*?!? What the fuck?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue May 14, 2019 1:34 am
Hold the door!

Mau wrote:
Ok this needs to stop. 49% on Rotten Tomatoes? For "The Bells*?!? What the fuck?

It’s ok if you like it but those who don’t have valid opinions.

Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 am
New Server, Same X

Totally fine with that, but it feels sometimes like I'm watching a different show. And honestly I end up feeling like maybe I'm not invested enough or I don't care enough, because I just don't understand how these episodes can be so poorly reviewed. It's not that I don't get their criticisms, it's why am I not feeling the same way, at least in an understanding way? I know we all have different thoughts, but usually I can at least see why something is getting ripped apart.

I'm at the point now where I don't think it'll win the Drama Emmy this year, which would be a shock. It'll win some technical Emmys, maybe a Directing one, and hopefully Maisie Williams. Beyond that, I don't think it'll take the top prize.

Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am
The Kramer

There is also a conspiracy theory going around now that GRRM has actually finished the books but Benioff and Weiss won't let him release them.

People really didn't like this episode. :funny:

Tue May 14, 2019 11:21 am
100% That Bitch

Mister Ecks wrote:
Totally fine with that, but it feels sometimes like I'm watching a different show. And honestly I end up feeling like maybe I'm not invested enough or I don't care enough, because I just don't understand how these episodes can be so poorly reviewed. It's not that I don't get their criticisms, it's why am I not feeling the same way, at least in an understanding way? I know we all have different thoughts, but usually I can at least see why something is getting ripped apart.

I'm at the point now where I don't think it'll win the Drama Emmy this year, which would be a shock. It'll win some technical Emmys, maybe a Directing one, and hopefully Maisie Williams. Beyond that, I don't think it'll take the top prize.

I have a feeling it's gonna win acting awards and sweep the tech and directing.
Please give Lena the Emmy already.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 am
New Server, Same X

Mau wrote:
Mister Ecks wrote:

One criticism I do agree with is that I don't think Lena was given that much to do this season. So I think her best shot at a win is gone. If it's between her and Maisie... hard to ignore her performance in episodes 3 and 5.

Tue May 14, 2019 12:23 pm
New Server, Same X

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
There is also a conspiracy theory going around now that GRRM has actually finished the books but Benioff and Weiss won't let him release them.

Why are people so certain that GRRM has given zero input in the last two seasons? My personal opinion is he has absolutely no idea how to finish the story.

Tue May 14, 2019 12:24 pm
100% That Bitch

Mister Ecks wrote:
Mau wrote:
Mister Ecks wrote:

One criticism I do agree with is that I don't think Lena was given that much to do this season. So I think her best shot at a win is gone. If it's between her and Maisie... hard to ignore her performance in episodes 3 and 5.

True, I think he best shot was season 6. But I can't believe she has never won. Fuck the Emmys.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue May 14, 2019 12:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

Probably one of the best episodes ever. Like an epic movie

Tue May 14, 2019 12:59 pm
The Kramer

Mister Ecks wrote:

Why are people so certain that GRRM has given zero input in the last two seasons? My personal opinion is he has absolutely no idea how to finish the story.
I think its just easier to blame D&D for everything. Like how we always blame Vince when bad things happen in WWE. Their biggest problem, as we’ve mentioned, is forcing this deadline on themselves. They’ve said this was always the plan, but if there was another season they wouldn’t be able to finish their Star Wars movie by 2021 so it makes you wonder.

Making GRRM into a god, one who could do no wrong until his story had been “hijacked” , is a way to cope. Just forget that alot of these same people had endless amounts of complaints for Feast and Dance.

The mixed reception to this season will definitely put even more hype on the final books if they are ever finished. They are now something bigger than “a more detailed version of the story we already know.”

Tue May 14, 2019 1:12 pm
100% That Bitch

Shack wrote:

Cheers, honey

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue May 14, 2019 1:25 pm
New Server, Same X

Shack wrote:

Yep. That may be my biggest issue with the endless criticisms. We've been given not one, but two incredible 80-minute episodes of television budget that we've never seen before on TV, and even better than most movies. People can say all they want "Oh the episode looked great" but it's buried by the "worst episode ever! GOT ruined!" comments.

Tue May 14, 2019 1:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

Mister Ecks wrote:

I realized years ago something was wrong with TV critics. I blame it on clickbait. Much like Trump impeachment articles, it's easier to get views and shares if you appeal to people's emotions and takes they agree with. Right now the anti-GOT side is very emotional and the GOT defending side is trying to take a measured approach and still see flaws but also strengths. I'm not saying there are critics who loved the episode and then wrote a fake article about hating it, but once the trend became to go neg on this season it may have happened subconsciously as they they went in looking for the worst parts of it so they could write a take people would read, or just have no confidence in their opinion and became sheep. If you go in determined to see either the good or bad in art you can probably find it. In my opinion many mediocre/bad Netflix shows get let off the hook because reviewers will get more views finding anything positive about it and appealing to the people who like the show, than bashing it. People turn the Netflix shows they don't like off after 10 minutes so there is virtually no audience for negative reviews about them. They're not calling shows that are a 3 a 10, but they are calling shows that are a 3 a 6 or 7 which allows them to criticize a bit but still come out on the positive side to make the people who like the show happy. This is also why negative reviews for music doesn't exist anymore https://www.metacritic.com/browse/album ... eases/date GOT is the opposite in that the reactions are negative, but it's a slippery slope at that point. Overall when it comes to click driven reviews of any art form and reviewers barely scraping by financially, there are too many factors pushing them beyond here is my honest opinion, read it

Tue May 14, 2019 1:45 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Mister Ecks wrote:

GRRM confirmed the ending to D&D - so the ending and who sits the Iron Throne (if anyone) that will be on the show will be the same/very similar to what is intended in the books.

The way the show and the books will get to that ending will obviously be different as D&D ran out of source material by the end of Season 5.

The problem with GRRM is that he writes as he goes and doesn't outline the story in any detail. This is why he is stuck because his story has become to unwieldy. The show writers on the other hand knew the ending, knew how many episodes they wanted to allocate to the final two seasons - so set about filling in the gaps with big events they wanted to see happen before the end.

By doing so, they lose the intricate details and set-ups, the character development and motivations and thus it feels rushed and has less of an impact. Threads that were seemingly built up for a big payoff have been abandoned. This is the main gripe about season 8 that most people have and I generally agree.

That said - the episodes have been magnificently staged and filmed. Talk of worst episode(s) ever are just nonsense. Disappointing - yes, poor - no.

Another major reason for the low scores is that fans are pissed at how the story has developed - i.e. prophecies not fulfilled, Dany turning rogue, Night King being killed easily, Dragons being killed, Direwolves banished etc.

You can never please everybody after a such a buildup.

I think its best to enjoy the show (finale) for what it is (and it is a major pop culture event that we are unlikely to see the scale of any time soon) and hope that GRRM will finish the books one day so we can see if his version does the story justice.

Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 pm
Keeping it Light

Shack's main site article is pretty good, it voices an understanding for Dany that was just not depicted in the show.

Shack wrote:
"Tyrion and Varys were two of her most trusted confidants and both betrayed her"

Tyrion has done, or at least thought up, so much stupid shit that cost Dany, it's a surprise, especially in hindsight that she didn't "Dracarys"ed him before anyone else.

But still, what I didn't really get was, with the bells being rung and she's on Drogon on the city walls...why didn't she just gear all that anger to the Red Keep and burn the whole castle and Cersei and everyone in it down...why go through the whole city first, giving Cersei as much of a chance to escape. It's just not really making much sense.
Her motivation to kill women and children, it came from somewhere, that "experienced personal heartbreak after heartbreak and wanting to lead from fear" are a way to explain it, but the very moment to to start burning those civilians appeared so suddenly out of nowhere, it remains to feel too un-instigated for me to make sense of it. And that's just on the writers.

Tue May 14, 2019 8:53 pm
Forum General

Mau wrote:

This is so absurd lol.

If nothing else, cinematically this episode was amazing.

Tue May 14, 2019 9:42 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

stuffp wrote:
Shack's main site article is pretty good, it voices an understanding for Dany that was just not depicted in the show.

Shack wrote:
"Tyrion and Varys were two of her most trusted confidants and both betrayed her"

Tyrion has done, or at least thought up, so much stupid shit that cost Dany, it's a surprise, especially in hindsight that she didn't "Dracarys"ed him before anyone else.

But still, what I didn't really get was, with the bells being rung and she's on Drogon on the city walls...why didn't she just gear all that anger to the Red Keep and burn the whole castle and Cersei and everyone in it down...why go through the whole city first, giving Cersei as much of a chance to escape. It's just not really making much sense.
Her motivation to kill women and children, it came from somewhere, that "experienced personal heartbreak after heartbreak and wanting to lead from fear" are a way to explain it, but the very moment to to start burning those civilians appeared so suddenly out of nowhere, it remains to feel too un-instigated for me to make sense of it. And that's just on the writers.

Plot device to show Danyt is a monster and the "Big Bad" for the finale. Also allows Cersei and Jaime to die together, Cleganebowl to happen etc.

Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next