Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Episodes (Showtime) 
The Wall

Post Episodes (Showtime)

Official site: http://www.sho.com/site/episodes/

Plot:

Quote:
Husband and wife writing team Sean and Beverly can't wait to bring their successful British television series across the pond to make it big in America. But in true Hollywood fashion, it quickly becomes a laughable, clichéd sitcom - starring none other than Matt LeBlanc. Matt not only messes with their beloved show, he rocks the foundation of their relationship. So now, even if they survive the absurdity of show business, will their marriage survive Matt LeBlanc?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: Episodes (Showtime) | Season 1
Two episodes in (out of only seven which have been filmed for the first season) and I think this show is really, really, really funny. I recommend.

It has also gotten some very positive reviews!

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
I thought the first episode was awful. The story, the characters, the pointless how'd-these-characters-end-up-here? opening tease. Awful. I didn't laugh once.

The second one was miles better, if only for actually having Matt LeBlanc in there (so far he's kind of the only one bringing the funny). The first meeting where LeBlanc and the husband have the discussion on how the show isn't the History Boys was pretty amusing. The stuff with LeBlanc and the wife kind of hitting it off only to then not was also pretty good. So far, for me, when LeBlanc isn't around and we're left with the husband/wife (I'll get their names by the third ep) the show grinds to an astonishingly unfunny halt. I think that the wife can be pretty entertaining when she isn't being an insufferable whiny nag, but that's been a lot of these first two episodes. The assistant sleeping with Mr Studio Head (Merc, I think) seems like she's got some potential comedy there, as well.

I hope it gets better.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:38 pm
The Wall

I love wife/husband duo. And LeBlanc definitely brought another dimension of funny in the second episode. I also love that girl that's head of comedy. She looks like nothing's funny to her. LOL. Such a cheap trick, but it works.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I think the lead Brits are appealing, but the show is not particularly funny or sharp so far.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:53 am
I watched it all, figuring it was only seven episodes and had to get better--except that never happened.

Everything about this show was predictable. Not anything you'd have to think about to predict, it was all going through the motions of the road frequently traveled with "comedy" thrown in. Merc in particular was truly a horrible, one-note character consisting of the same joke over and over (he bullshits niceties to people's face then forgets and/or trashes them and their work when they're gone, repeat. How hilarious).

And one other thing: why did Sean and Beverly put up with Merc's crap the whole time? I mean, I can understand why Sean would (as he was a colossal pushover) but Beverly, too? It was established in the first episode that Lyman's Boys was a BAFTA-winning success so the Lincolns (Sean and Beverly) did not need Pucks! in the way Matt LeBlanc did. Why did Beverly in particular offer no opposition to Merc? Or anything, really? She just griped about things, but went along with it anyway.

If that's chalked up to simply being who her character was then I kind of don't get what the point of this show was even supposed to be. I thought perhaps a satire/biting comedy on the Hollywood machine's perversion of quality (or at the very least, a vision someone actually cared about) in the name of lowest common denominator entertainment for the purpose of the almighty dollar, but I just remember a bunch of dick jokes, Friends references, and a "surprise" end of season bed-hop.

Crane and Kralik (the creators and writers of the show) seemed to just bring their inherent cliche sitcom nonsense to Showtime, not even trying to actually say anything with this beyond "Hollywood's shallow and people like money!...now pay us." Lame.

I will definitely not be back for any possible second season.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:43 am
The Wall

I will definitely be back for a second season. I thought the show got better and better with every new episode. Is it groundbreaking? No. Is it good at being funny without needing a laugh track to pull it off? Yes.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Second season is a go!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Almost done half-watching Season 2. I'd say it's better than the first, but still nothing too special. Having Gunther as the only "Friend" Matt LeBlanc could get to star in Pucks was pretty great.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:09 pm
The Wall

Post Re: Episodes (Showtime)
The third season is AWESOME. The best one so far I think. Series finale looks like a total crack.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

I need to catchup on the thurs season. Can't wait!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:56 am
The Wall

I didn't stop laughing during the latest episode. It was so fucking funny.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Sounds good. I like season 2 quite a bit so if this season is even better then it should be hilarious.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:11 am
Veteran

Not a bad show at all. If anything it shows that Matt LeBlanc has some decent range as an actor and still hasn't lost his comedic touch. Hopefully he can get back onto a big network comedy soon.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

WTF? The last episode airs on March 16th? A three week break? Seriously?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:52 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

I can't wait for the final season to premiere. This is one uderrated show.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Excellent final season. And a great last episode. One of the most underrated comedy shows ever. But I'm glad it lasted for as long as it did.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:22 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I loved this show. Le Blanc was so much better here than in Friends. I do feel its an underrated show.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:35 am
now we know

This is an odd bump.

Are you trying to boost your post count to crack the top 12?

Suddenly posting seven times in the TV forum after not having posted in here for two years. Hmm. Not to mention your recent activity in the other forums. ;)

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:47 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I never come here but I recently finished a few series so I thought of posting here. I don't know about Top 12 but recently I have lesser work (or don't feel like working) so I am posting more. Also this was also one of the long pending seasons which I finished a week back, then realized that the series is over.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]