Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 The "Heroes" Thread: Season 3 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: The "Heroes" Thread: Season 3
The whole time travel thing is so ridiculously holed. By changing the past, future Peter should be making himself not exist. Also, if he can go back, he could stop himself from ever changing the past, or change Sylar from becoming invincible. Also instead of shooting Nathan, couldn't he just have told him? Having time travellers just makes the show one big hole because they could always go back and fix things when they fuck up and so forth.

The twist at the end... obviously done for shock value. I'm guessing they thought another season of Sylar and Peter fighting would be redundant, and it would, but with him and two Peters on the good side, I don't see how a couple flamethrowing baddies have a chance. I hate that they're bringing back the apocalypse thing for a 3rd time, I think they should've left it at singling out the villains and having a war all season.

But with that all said, I thought it was a lot more fun and uptempo than the S2 stuff. It's operating at such a goofy and almost cheesy level now with stuff like Nathan's religious speeches, the music as Sylar strolled down that street, the Peter and Parkman staredown, Mohinder's testosterone overload, that it's almost become more enjoyable just watching it in that light. I'll keep watching.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:05 am
je vois l'avenir

Shack wrote:
The whole time travel thing is so ridiculously holed. By changing the past, future Peter should be making himself not exist. Also, if he can go back, he could stop himself from ever changing the past, or change Sylar from becoming invincible. Also instead of shooting Nathan, couldn't he just have told him? Having time travellers just makes the show one big hole because they could always go back and fix things when they fuck up and so forth.

The twist at the end... obviously done for shock value. I'm guessing they thought another season of Sylar and Peter fighting would be redundant, and it would, but with him and two Peters on the good side, I don't see how a couple flamethrowing baddies have a chance. I hate that they're bringing back the apocalypse thing for a 3rd time, I think they should've left it at singling out the villains and having a war all season.

But with that all said, I thought it was a lot more fun and uptempo than the S2 stuff. It's operating at such a goofy and almost cheesy level now with stuff like Nathan's religious speeches, the music as Sylar strolled down that street, the Peter and Parkman staredown, Mohinder's testosterone overload, that it's almost become more enjoyable just watching it in that light. I'll keep watching.

Unless of course it is predestined. ( Similar to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) Where the character believes that they are changing the future by going back in time, but in reality, the future is the result of them going back in time.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:38 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

yay it felt like a Veronica Mars reunion.

i like where the show is going.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:04 am
Extraordinary

Misutaa wrote:
Shack wrote:

Unless of course it is predestined. ( Similar to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) Where the character believes that they are changing the future by going back in time, but in reality, the future is the result of them going back in time.

Yeah all time travel stories have that problem. The Terminator and Back to the Future series both come to mind. It is a flaw you see in 99% of Time Travel stories so I just ignore it. Most stories try to argue (the X-Men stories for example) that the time travels are immune because they traveled so they don't change, only the world around them. About why he doesn't go back and stop Sylar now etc, I think he has realized that he would just make things worse now. He is determined to fix the present by staying there. Not sure why he didn't talk to Nathan, it could be part of his dark character. It must have gotten pretty bad 4 years later. Although I think it will get worse for some reason. The question is why? If Nathan had made that big reveal would that have stopped the formula from leaking out? Maybe it would have stopped Mohinder from experimenting on himself. I think that is probably connected there. I also think somehow Adam is going to get out and he is the reason the earth gets destroyed.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Things that bother me:

Peter. omg boring. Milo's acting is really not helping.
Mohinder. OMG just die already.
Jessica -> Tracy. Please explain.
Hero. Ando is much more interesting. The French girl that speaks American is a good addition.
the guy that can hear people's thoughts. ok i want u to die too.
I want more Elle.

things i'm happy with:
Molly and Michah are gone, hopefully forever. still i wanna know what happened to Jessica.

Seriously the show is still having narrative problems. cut down the cast. kill people off now.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:47 pm
Extraordinary

I think they are doing that getting rid of Maya would help a lot. I don't mind Peter hopefully his acting improves. Hiro's problem is he has been doing stupid things, like opening that dumb box. I have a funny feeling he is going to do another one in digging Adam back up, unless Adam has already escaped. He should have sent Adam back to the dinosaur age lol. Want I want to see his a big major battle between the Villains and Heroes. I think we might get that based on the dream sequence there. It looks like Adam, Tracy/Jessica, Matt's dad, Knox, and Sylar vs at least Peter, Hiro, Claire, Matt, and Noah (should swap Elle for Noah heh) Although it looks like the badies win out in that sequence, which is why I think the mother is trying to manipulate Sylar.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Misutaa wrote:
Shack wrote:

Yes, they did that in season two with the hero/Japanese legend thing, but in this case they're pushing the whole "you changed the future angle", he mentioned 'that's not supposed to happen' a bunch of times... the only way it would make sense is if everything future Peter remembers is what regular Peter went through originally. Essentially by changing the past, he's changing his own regular Peter trajectory... the only this can make sense is if regular Peter doesn't learn anything about what future Peter has done, and ends up obliviously going back in time later and unknowingly shoots Nathan, changes Claire's path, etc. But now that regular Peter is out, I seriously doubt they can pull that off.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:17 pm
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
Misutaa wrote:
Shack wrote:

Yes, they did that in season two with the hero/Japanese legend thing, but in this case they're pushing the whole "you changed the future angle", he mentioned 'that's not supposed to happen' a bunch of times... the only way it would make sense is if everything future Peter remembers is what regular Peter went through originally. Essentially by changing the past, he's changing his own regular Peter trajectory... the only this can make sense is if regular Peter doesn't learn anything about what future Peter has done, and ends up obliviously going back in time later and unknowingly shoots Nathan, changes Claire's path, etc. But now that regular Peter is out, I seriously doubt they can pull that off.

Back to the Future did that too, in the first and second movie Marty and Biff changed things. Marty should have disappeared both times really. Other time travel stories have did the same mistakes it is really an error that you see in most Time Travel stories.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Third Summers Brother, The Fly...Heroes is less a series and more a very expenisve reenaction of the TV Tropes wiki.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
problem?

It was good, but.. try as they might, it will never be as good as season 1 was. No matter how hard they try. The show peaked before season 1 was even over, and you don't come back once you've peaked.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:13 pm
New Server, Same X

Yeah, it reminds me of Lost in that respect, the way both shows sucked for a short time (although Heroes sucked for a longer period of time, having been off the air for almost a year), then got good again. I think the premiere was really good actually, but I miss the days when everything was a mystery and you thought it was actually leading to something amazing every season.

Two things that bother me: time travel and death. Time travel seems to just ruin everything because everything can be solved realistically by "Well, let's go back and change that/save this person". Even if they explain whatever everyone else said in the thread about time travel, it still is a risky topic and maybe should've been left out. Would anyone really miss it if Hiro couldn't travel through time? Would've been spared the Season 2 plotline.

And no one seems to die. Ever. They either come back as flashbacks, as ghosts or as COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHARACTERS. Although I'm not convinced she's not the other one... Jessica or Nikki? Whatever the show wants us to believe.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:24 pm
The Kramer

This show is more ridiculous than ever. It has no consistency since it only uses plot twists to develop the story. Then it forgets about a few of those twists. Isn't that Irish chick still in the future?

Then again, it sold me enough to watch next week.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:12 pm
je vois l'avenir

Isn't Tracy just one of Nikki's personalities? (But unlike Jessica, it has taken COMPLETE control over her) I am pretty sure it is.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:03 am
The Wall

Misutaa wrote:
Isn't Tracy just one of Nikki's personalities? (But unlike Jessica, it has taken COMPLETE control over her) I am pretty sure it is.

Considering Nikki was in that fire and had a life I doubt it. It seems like Tracy was employed for a long time for the Senator. That timeline is definitely confusing. Also Nikki never showed a trace of freeze powers. Nikkie did have a sister though. Remember that?

I thought the premiere sucked. A lot.

Sylar's confrontation with Claire was sucky. He just pops up there, does a cliched horror scene and goes away with secret files? Also what the hell where those files doing there? No logic in that whatsoever.

And to get someone's power he just needs to see the brain? What, his brain molds like the ones he is looking? Is that it? It would be much better if the idea of him eating the brain (or that gland) was used. At least it would tie-in with Mohinder's new revelation. And because Sylar is special he can absorb the power and Mohinder seems to be turning into some kind of The Abomination for trying to give powers to himself.

It was good to see Elle. If only briefly in the whole two hour premiere. And Francis Capra... Good to see him too. A little Veronica Mars reunion. Just like getluv said.

Oh and poor Nathan. He has Peter and Sylar as brothers apparently and he gets the lousiest power...

Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Entertaining enough, if infuriatingly inconsistent. The show's fucked itself by making too many of its characters pretty much god-like. You're left wondering why the hell people don't just use the powers we know they have to solve problems as and when they appear.

It's interesting that Mohinder's story arc appears to be lifted wholesale from Cronenberg's The Fly.

And what was with Sylar's pointless slasher flick stalking of Claire?

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:00 am
You must have big rats

Seen the premiere. Well, it's kind of a mess. It's entertaining enough that I'll keep watching, but it is a mess.

I agree with Korrgan. The series reached its peak just before the end of Season 1. It was just amazing back then. Now, ah well. However, who knows, maybe it'll have a comeback like Lost, but for that it really really needs some radical change.

My main gripes are exactly the same as Mr. X': Time travel and death.

Time travel creates millions of plot holes here. I mean why bothering fighting any villains if Peter could just go back in time and kill them all (or especially Sylar) before they became so powerful. I mean what's the whole deal if you can always go back in time. Sure, thatÄ'd probably create other problems, but it's not like that ever was an issue for the characters. It's just that they only use time travel when it's convenient.

Also, what's up with visions of future by Isaac and Angela Petrelli if that future always gets prevented anyway. Seems like a malfunctioning clairvoyance.

Oh and death - no one ever dies. Ever. Well almost. But thinking of it, that doesn't bother me THAT much and you know why? Because that pretty much exactly reflects the world of comic books since pretty much all superheroes die at some point and all keep coming back. So that just fits the genre. Now that I think of it, who actually did die and remain dead? All I can think or are Simone, Isaac, Alejandro, Eric Roberts and the nuclear guy of the main chartacters...

That said, it is still entertaining somewhat. With so many twists and turns how can it not be? Sometimes, the laughs are kinda unintentional, though. I'm glad they're brining back Adam Munroe, though and I'm glad to see Elle back and hopefully she'll become one of the major characters.

Mohinder's powers seem to be 100% stolen from Spider-Man, heh....but with some Thy Fly touch to it now!

Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

As for time travel, it's also simply that time travel as a concept in itself creates many many many problems. You really can hardly execute a full-on time travel storyline without tapping into some logic flaws.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Seen the premiere. Well, it's kind of a mess. It's entertaining enough that I'll keep watching, but it is a mess.

I agree with Korrgan. The series reached its peak just before the end of Season 1. It was just amazing back then. Now, ah well. However, who knows, maybe it'll have a comeback like Lost, but for that it really really needs some radical change.

Time travel creates millions of plot holes here. I mean why bothering fighting any villains if Peter could just go back in time and kill them all (or especially Sylar) before they became so powerful. I mean what's the whole deal if you can always go back in time. Sure, thatÄ'd probably create other problems, but it's not like that ever was an issue for the characters. It's just that they only use time travel when it's convenient.

Also, what's up with visions of future by Isaac and Angela Petrelli if that future always gets prevented anyway. Seems like a malfunctioning clairvoyance.

Oh and death - no one ever dies. Ever. Well almost. But thinking of it, that doesn't bother me THAT much and you know why? Because that pretty much exactly reflects the world of comic books since pretty much all superheroes die at some point and all keep coming back. So that just fits the genre. Now that I think of it, who actually did die and remain dead? All I can think or are Simone, Isaac, Alejandro, Eric Roberts and the nuclear guy of the main chartacters...

That said, it is still entertaining somewhat. With so many twists and turns how can it not be? Sometimes, the laughs are kinda unintentional, though. I'm glad they're brining back Adam Munroe, though and I'm glad to see Elle back and hopefully she'll become one of the major characters.

Mohinder's powers seem to be 100% stolen from Spider-Man, heh....but with some Thy Fly touch to it now!

Bob is dead, DL as well, Hiro's dad, and my theory is Nikki is dead and Tracey will end up being her twin sister (I think somebody faked her death when Nikki was young). Of course they cheated by giving her a twin heh. I don't know if Linderman is dead and is some kind of mind trick in Nathan's head or what.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

I thought the premiere was fucking awful.

Same shit, different year.

The "heroes" are too powerful and too stupid. It reminds me when they made Neo fly at the end of The Matrix and then had to make him stupid throughout part 2 so he couldn't solve anything with a wave of his hand. The poster above was correct. Future Peter wants to stop his brother from making the announcment and the ONLY thing he can think of, to do with his immense power is SHOOT HIM? And once again the world is going to blow up.

I am to Heroes as Loyal is to Lost I guess.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Bob is dead, DL as well, Hiro's dad, and my theory is Nikki is dead and Tracey will end up being her twin sister (I think somebody faked her death when Nikki was young). Of course they cheated by giving her a twin heh. I don't know if Linderman is dead and is some kind of mind trick in Nathan's head or what.

They are dead FOR NOW. Who knows whether they'll stay dead. And while Hiro's dad is dead, he keeps popping up all the time anyway, heh.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

roo wrote:
I am to Heroes as Loyal is to Lost I guess.

So that means you'll keep watchin' and bitchin'? :P

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Yes! Bitching is a prime word for it.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

all they do is just repeat the powers.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:28 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Tonight's episode was solid, as most Mohinder-free episodes usually are. They are so much more engaging when his horrible storylines aren't present. But I still have some issues. I don't like that Nikki/Jessica is actually dead, and the Matt storyline is pretty stupid and just a rehash of the painter storyline from the first season. But I loved Claire tonight as well as the H.R.G. and Sylar partnership.

Next week's episode looks good.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:30 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

The Bank part was great. I am curious about the future. It kind of sounds like Earth X (is that where regular people had powers?).

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next