Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Breaking Bad 
Forum General

Post Re: Breaking Bad
It is impressive how the show builds upon itself and gets better with each passing season, but I found the actual finale itself something of a letdown after all the intense build-up.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:35 am
New Server, Same X

I don't get how anyone could love Breaking Bad and not give Better Call Saul a chance. It's easily in position to join the ranks of Frasier for how to properly spin off an established character. And it's not Breaking Bad at all, but still has shades of the original throughout. Some overt, most subtle.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:59 am
Sbil

Season 1 of Breaking Bad is by far the show's weakest. It was still really good but it takes until season 2 for it to really reach greatness.

Re: Better Call Saul, Bob Odenkirk is really wonderful in it. He really lays the groundwork for why Jimmy ended up adopting the Saul persona later on, and it's really human work. Also, the supporting cast is outstanding. Jonathan Banks, Rhea Seehorn, Michael McKean...all stellar.

Last edited by Libs on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:32 am
Keeping it Light

I never found Saul a very interesting character, fitting for Breaking Bad yes, but I don't see the appeal for a whole show.
I haven't even give Better Call a chance so maybe it's good, but just based on Breaking Bad's Saul it doesn't have any pull for me.
That said I might not love Breaking Bad that much either. Great show, good ending, but I didn't long for more either when it was finished.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 am
now we know

Libs wrote:
Season 1 of Breaking Bad is by far the show's weakest. It was still really good but it takes until season 2 for it to really reach greatness.

Everyone says this type of thing. With Seinfeld, it was "it doesn't get good until season four or five". Now with this I have to wade through a whole season before it gets good. :funny:

It's fine, really. I'm enjoying the build up, and I expected the first season to be the weakest because I guess the first never has much in terms of budget/ideas until creators see how popular it is.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:48 am
Profile WWW
now we know

MGKC wrote:
It's also fun as it truly gets better every season. I mean, there's definitely some all-time great episodes in Season 2, but the whole show just becomes more and more intense and professional as it goes on.

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Algren wrote:
I'm four episodes in and it's really, really good. I'm not getting "best tv show ever" vibes

Don't worry, I first got these vibes in the 4th season. But all that comes before is the perfect set-up.

Cool. Cannot wait to continue..

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Algren wrote:
Libs wrote:

Everyone says this type of thing. With Seinfeld, it was "it doesn't get good until season four or five". Now with this I have to wade through a whole season before it gets good. :funny:

It's fine, really. I'm enjoying the build up, and I expected the first season to be the weakest because I guess the first never has much in terms of budget/ideas until creators see how popular it is.
Yeah people do say that about every show. I remember Dollhouse, where the marketing was basically "yeah the first six episodes are bad, but if you watch them all we promise it'll be worth it!" No thanks, Joss, I'm good.

Breaking Bad's first season is great. 2 is when the cast fills out though and then it becomes legendary.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:09 pm
Devil's Advocate

I still think the first season is great, the whole saga with Crazy 8 is a fantastic start and Walt and Jesse cooking for first time, Gretchen and Elliot episode is one of the most important of the series imo, etc

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:46 pm
You must have big rats

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Algren wrote:
Libs wrote:

Yeah people do say that about every show. I remember Dollhouse, where the marketing was basically "yeah the first six episodes are bad, but if you watch them all we promise it'll be worth it!" No thanks, Joss, I'm good.

Isn't that EXACTLY the same thing with "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."?

Anyway, I don't think "Breaking Bad" becomes amazing or even legendary before the second half of Season 3. The Gus Fring storyline is what pushes it over the top. But it is never bad or even mediocre before. Just damn good.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Fuck. So now I have to wait until the second half of season three! Just a few hours ago it was season two. Now another two days of viewing has been added before I can get to the amazing/legendary stuff. Tut.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Yep Doc that is why I stopped watching that one. Don't have time for that nonsense. With Breaking Bad its like the difference between Batman Begins and Dark Knight. If it had stayed at s1 quality itd still be considered a golden age show.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:31 pm
now we know

I have one episode remaining. Walter now has a shaved head and just blew up Tuco's office with something that looked like crystal meth. Aaron Paul's character is in hospital. I guess the final episode will round things off for him, and set up a second season in the final minutes.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Completed season one. I feel like rewatching the whole season before starting season two. Not because it so superb (though it is very good), but because I feel I need a second go at it before starting what should be a great season.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:10 am
Profile WWW
now we know

So I'm rewatching the first season before I start the second, and episode one has got to be the best. It's the funniest, for sure. The ride along scene cracks me up when Hank says "Sage?, What do you work, for the Pottery Barn?". And then the "Cow house" line, and Walter's "Fuck you, Bogdan. I said FUCK YOU, and your eyebrows". Honestly hilarious.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I don't think I've ever re-watched a season of any show back-to-back.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 am
now we know

Don't take this the wrong way but that's because you're on a hunt to tick as many "seen that" boxes as possible. I'm more interested in enjoying TV and film. I also did it with True Detective season one.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Well I don't want to see just as much of anything, but I do feel have an excitement and anticipation to see potentially good new things that lumps the desire to see something I already think is good again. It's really mainly about time though. I might re-watch a whole show again at some point, but are unlikely to re-watch an episode or season right after having seen it, while there's some much other stuff to see as well.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:44 am
now we know

Much the same with films, it gives a whole better understanding of what's going on if you rewatch it after. Things that happen later in a 7-hour season that relate to the earlier parts, you can make more links and appreciate it more. Watching it once chronologically sometimes requires more concentration. Watching it a second time helps fill in gaps and rounds it off. Especially with TV where sometimes you miss things because of commercial breaks, other people in the room talking, someone coming to the door, the phone ringing etc.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:55 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Question: Do we find out what Walter did with Domingo's (Crazy8) body?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:30 am
Profile WWW
---------

Algren wrote:
Question: Do we find out what Walter did with Domingo's (Crazy8) body?

Sounds like he dissolved it as well. Jessie says later on in episode 7:
"I got two dudes that turned into raspberry slushie then flushed down my toilet. I can't even take a proper dump in there. I mean, the whole damn house has got to be haunted by now."

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:36 am
now we know

That's a good point, however that'd mean he'd have bought some Poly Ethylene tubs, and I thought if he had they would have shown that or referenced it in some way.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:42 am
Profile WWW
---------

Algren wrote:
That's a good point, however that'd mean he'd have bought some Poly Ethylene tubs, and I thought if he had they would have shown that or referenced it in some way.

It seemed like a straightforward task - making Jessie's attempt at finding one even more hilarious. :)

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:33 am
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
Much the same with films, it gives a whole better understanding of what's going on if you rewatch it after. Things that happen later in a 7-hour season that relate to the earlier parts, you can make more links and appreciate it more. Watching it once chronologically sometimes requires more concentration. Watching it a second time helps fill in gaps and rounds it off. Especially with TV where sometimes you miss things because of commercial breaks, other people in the room talking, someone coming to the door, the phone ringing etc.

Yeah, with films it's a bit easier though since that would just require another 2-3 hours. And even that I didn't do since a long time, most recently what I remember that I saw Drive, Whiplash, Wolf of Wall Street just to name a few where I watched it more than once within a few days, that was at least 2 years ago I think. It depends on the quality of it, other options and time, whether I'd get myself to re-watch something pretty much right away.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:01 pm
now we know

MGKC wrote:
Algren wrote:

It seemed like a straightforward task - making Jessie's attempt at finding one even more hilarious. :)

True.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I must say, I do love the character, Walter White, and how he was formed and presented to viewers. He is a man of pride, and all the little things that he does and says that build the man over the course of the first season, is really great to witness.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next