Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Fox looks to move away from reality TV 
Teh Mexican

Post Fox looks to move away from reality TV
Quote:
LOS ANGELES - The sagging Fox network's chief executive admitted Monday it had leaned too heavily on reality programming this TV season, including the disastrous "Who's Your Daddy?"

Fox has been caught on the wrong side of audience taste in the past few months. Scripted series like ABC's Golden Globe-winning "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" are hot, while viewers seem to have little patience for new reality series.

At its best, Fox is a mix of scripted and unscripted, high-brow and low-brow. "The Simpsons" can comfortably co-exist with "COPS," she said.

"In the case of this fall we drifted to too much on the unscripted side," Berman said. "But I think the audience expects loud things from Fox. Sometimes they work ... and sometimes they don't."

Fox is averaging 5.9 million viewers in prime-time this season, down from 6.5 million at this point last year, Nielsen said. More importantly for the youth-obsessed Fox, it is solidly in fourth place among viewers aged 18-to-49. It finished last season second behind NBC in this demographic.

So worried is Fox about audience trends that Berman was lowering expectations for its most popular show, "American Idol," which debuts this week. She said she expected ratings to decline in its fourth season.

Fox loudly proclaimed an all-season strategy last year, promising to debut new series all year round, including summer. Viewers rejected that, too, but Berman isn't giving up.

"There's no question that the audience, in our mind, is ready, willing and able to accept new programming in the summer," she said.
Fox will tweak the strategy this year, debuting some new shows in May instead of June, she said.
One new series will be the animated "American Dad," which is given a sneak peek after the Super Bowl. It's from "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane, who is also making new episodes of that cartoon after the cancelled series became an unexpected hit on DVD. Both new shows launch May 1.

Fox also announced that "That '70s Show" has been renewed for an eighth season, even though series stars Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher aren't returning. Both stars will make occasional guest appearances, Berman said.

FULL STORY!

Glad FOX is moving on from Reality shows, the network seriously needs to clean its image!

Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:13 am
Superman: The Movie

I'm surprised more networks aren't folowing suit. Just look at the success CBS (#1 Network) has had with really only two reality shows (Survivor and The Amazing Race). The rest are just shows with enough originality and quality in them that people watch them. And yet NBC and ABC keep going with their reality crap (With the exception of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, that show is actually very good and serves a great purpose for people who have lost so much) and aren't risking actually trying out new sitcoms and other types of pilots.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]