Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 The 'Survivor: Guatemala' Thread 
Sbil

Post The 'Survivor: Guatemala' Thread
I'm surprised no one started a thread for this yet. Premieres tomorrow night at 8:00 on CBS.

Check out the castaways at http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor11/

Last edited by Libs on Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:27 pm
Award Winning Bastard

No offense to fans of the show, I've just never been able to understand the fascination with it.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:29 pm
New Server, Same X

If the rumors are true, we're in for one stupid twist tomorrow night.

CBS Voice: No, there won't be one stupid twist.

Oh really?

CBS Voice: Hehe... nope!... ... ...

THERE'LL BE TWO!!! AR-HARHARHAR!

Idiots. Ruining a show like this.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

I'm watching. I still happen to be slightly obsessed every year with it. Where I live me and my friends do a betting-pool, in the first episode we pick our castaways. Depending on the circumstances of how many are playing this time, how many castaways, we usually end up with like 4 or 5 each. From there we lose them one by one, and whoever has the survivor left standing wins the money($10 put in each usually, winner gets $50.) If it wasn't for our intense gaming of this I might not be as interested. Maybe...

And oh yeah I know what the twist is. Mwhahahhaa!

Highlight

Stephanie and Bobby Jon from Palau are returning as castaways. I don't really like the development much, but I can see why they're doing it. They despite being strong players were screwed by having the worst team in Survivor history, from there the only one to make the merge Stephanie was eliminated easy from the other tribe outnumbering.

This way they can be redeemed?

There.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:12 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm watching. I still happen to be slightly obsessed every year with it. Where I live me and my friends do a betting-pool, in the first episode we pick our castaways. Depending on the circumstances of how many are playing this time, how many castaways, we usually end up with like 4 or 5 each. From there we lose them one by one, and whoever has the survivor left standing wins the money($10 put in each usually, winner gets $50.) If it wasn't for our intense gaming of this I might not be as interested. Maybe...

And oh yeah I know what the twist is. Mwhahahhaa!

Highlight

Stephanie and Bobby Jon from Palau are returning as castaways. I don't really like the development much, but I can see why they're doing it. They despite being strong players were screwed by having the worst team in Survivor history, from there the only one to make the merge Stephanie was eliminated easy from the other tribe outnumbering.

This way they can be redeemed?

There.

But, how is that Survivor's fault, or the team's fault? Mark Burnett didn't screw them over. If they're going to bring two people back because they got screwed over, why not bring all the losers back? Bring back everyone, and give everyone a second chance till they win. In my eyes, Stephenie and Bobby Jon are no better than anyone else who has played the game and lost. The tribe screwed themselves over, and Steph and Bobby Jon were a part of the tribe. They don't deserve this over Debb in Season 2 or Andrew in Season 7 or Kelly in Season 1. They all lost, fair and square.

The real answer? They love Steph, and wanted a way to bring her back for a third chance (her second chance came when the skinny one from Palau quit the game for her to play). Bobby Jon is merely a pawn in their own game.

Last edited by Mister Ecks on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:24 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm still watching. :sweat: Survivor still beats 95% of reality shows.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:25 pm
Cream of the Crop

I'm not a fan of that twist, seems more like something out of Endurance than something fit for Survivor. But I'll still watch

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
problem?

I just saw a commercial for the new season, and at the end it said "and two of the most popular cast Survivors" or something like that "return!" ..What? :huh: Bobby Jon wasn't even liked.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:57 am
New Server, Same X

I'll be watching the episode tomorrow, so I'll reserve judgment till then, but... wow. The first five minutes were cringe-worthy. "Ohmigod! She is such an inspiration!" Give me a freakin' break. Inspiration to who? She is not the strongest female Survivor contestant ever. Luckiest maybe, but strongest female? She didn't play endurance competitions to survive each week. She just survived the vote. It's not strength, it's luck.

They gave NO explanation as to why Bobby Jon and Stephenie are back over ANY other Survivor contestant. I'm not buying that they're "inspirations". That's not a reason to bring people back.

Poor Bobby Jon doesn't even look like he wants to be there. I might have to skip this season entirely, if all this season is going to be is "Survivor: Stephenie's Second Shot at the Million". That's all this is in my eyes.

Last edited by Mister Ecks on Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:38 pm
New Server, Same X

I just saw a commercial for the new season, and at the end it said "and two of the most popular cast Survivors" or something like that "return!" ..What? :huh: Bobby Jon wasn't even liked.

Like I've said, Bobby Jon is a mere pawn in Mark Burnett's game. Seemingly everyone loves Steph (I can't stand her at all), and he wanted a way to bring her back. Bobby Jon is there, so it doesn't look so apparent.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:39 pm
laneyboy

I really liked this episode. I have a feeling we're in for a great season. The people actually seem interesting this time and it isn't all about Stephenie and Bobby Jon as much as I thought. My early prediction is that Margaret will go far since I don't think anyone on her team will want her out anytime soon.

Last edited by Maguire on Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

With all due respect Mr.X, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Steph. I don't know how you can seriously argue against her as being one of, if not THE strongest female survivor competitor in the shows history. Yeah, her tribe lost every damn time, but in each of those challenges she often showed she had greater strength, endurance and passion than most of the guys. She had to survive on her own once Bobby Jon was booted (again, by Steph straight up beating him in a fire-making competition) and was close to striking a deal once the merge came and she was public enemy number 1. Maybe Alicia from the second season was stronger, but other than her, it's Steph without a doubt. Now match this with her winning personality, courage, determination, leadership abilities and it's quite clear how both females and males could idolize her.

Anyway, I think the second chance thing is cool on one hand, because it instantly gives me my early favourite (Steph), but it also creates sort of an awkward situation. Both of them are going to be walking around with targets on them instantly, and rightfully so, by people who resent their second chance. Also, from the first episode you can see that Steph is getting more tv time than the rest of her tribe and I just hope that as things go on they'll ease off and let us get to know the others. The cast seems pretty good, with no obvious blowhards or divas and the location is interesting. That first challenge was a doozy and the tough guys on Nakum got spanked pretty hard (kind of embarrassing seeing Bobby Jon go down after introducing him as this supreme survivor :lol: ). If I had to pick someone off of that tribe to go far it would be Margaret.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Aww, the old people always get voted off first. He seemed like a good guy, and that clip from his wife was sweet. And am I the only one who doesn't like Bobby Jon? His constant screaming while trying to move things annoys me. Looks like there is more next week.

So far, Margaret is my favorite. She's from Ohio and she's a fan of the Steelers.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:32 pm
Profile YIM
New Server, Same X

Looks like BennyBlanco and I both have our biases for and against Steph, respectively.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:41 pm
New Server, Same X

With all due respect Mr.X, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Steph. (1)I don't know how you can seriously argue against her as being one of, if not THE strongest female survivor competitor in the shows history. Yeah, her tribe lost every damn time, but in each of those challenges she often showed she had greater strength, endurance and passion than most of the guys. (2) She had to survive on her own once Bobby Jon was booted (again, by Steph straight up beating him in a fire-making competition) and was close to striking a deal once the merge came and she was public enemy number 1. Maybe Alicia from the second season was stronger, but other than her, it's Steph without a doubt. (3) Now match this with her winning personality, courage, determination, leadership abilities and it's quite clear how both females and males could idolize her.

I matched up what I want to talk about in this paragraph with numbers.

1. Okay, I admit that she's strong. One of the strongest? Maybe. The strongest? I don't think so. I believe strength should mean more than just physical. I'm not denying her strength, either.

2. For what, a night? With a camera guy taping her. She wasn't in the middle of nowhere with nothing but her soul.

3. Winning personality is a very questionable term to use when referring to Steph. She may have been determined, but evidently, not determined enough, and same goes for leadership abilities. I can't help but think if she was so strong, so courageous, so determined, and such an incredible leader, then why wasn't she able to bring her tribe together? That tribe lost virtually every competition Survivor could throw at them. The whole tribe sucked as a whole. I'm not sitting her telling you that just one woman could lift that tribe to the top and win competitions, but that tribe wasn't a complete waste at all. The tribe as a whole just came up short all the time, and I think if Steph was all that, she would have been able to lead them to more wins, and lead her tribe to work better as a tribe.

You call it a winning personality. A courageous, determined leader. She's just the underdog that America rooted for. I'm usually a sucker for underdogs, but not this time.

My bias against her is evident, Benny, so don't take this too personally. I'm just stating my opinion. I'm a hypocrite if anything, because I bash Survivor for bringing people back, when I applauded Big Brother for doing the same thing. How credible is my opinion? :tongue:

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:51 pm
Draughty

Guatemala? I'm assuming the winner is the one who gets to go home first?

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

:thumbsup:

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:53 pm
Cream of the Crop

Another America's choice, to reward the popular Stephenie would have aggrevated me a lot more than what they have done here. Bobby Jon, well I never really saw his appeal and while I like Stephenie I don't understand the adoration she received by her fellow teammates. But at least both have to work hard for a possible million.

As for the start? It was okay. Nothing really exciting, not surprising that Jim was the first one to go, even if he would have been healthy I think he would have still had a good chance of going. The tribe names are funky, the location seems interesting. We'll see how this one turns out.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Archie Gates wrote:

:thumbsup:

I'm still waiting for the immunity challenge that involve human sacrifices.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:12 pm
Indiana Jones IV

BennyBlanco wrote:
With all due respect Mr.X, you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Steph. (1)I don't know how you can seriously argue against her as being one of, if not THE strongest female survivor competitor in the shows history. Yeah, her tribe lost every damn time, but in each of those challenges she often showed she had greater strength, endurance and passion than most of the guys. (2) She had to survive on her own once Bobby Jon was booted (again, by Steph straight up beating him in a fire-making competition) and was close to striking a deal once the merge came and she was public enemy number 1. Maybe Alicia from the second season was stronger, but other than her, it's Steph without a doubt. (3) Now match this with her winning personality, courage, determination, leadership abilities and it's quite clear how both females and males could idolize her.

I matched up what I want to talk about in this paragraph with numbers.

1. Okay, I admit that she's strong. One of the strongest? Maybe. The strongest? I don't think so. I believe strength should mean more than just physical. I'm not denying her strength, either.

2. For what, a night? With a camera guy taping her. She wasn't in the middle of nowhere with nothing but her soul.

3. Winning personality is a very questionable term to use when referring to Steph. She may have been determined, but evidently, not determined enough, and same goes for leadership abilities. I can't help but think if she was so strong, so courageous, so determined, and such an incredible leader, then why wasn't she able to bring her tribe together? That tribe lost virtually every competition Survivor could throw at them. The whole tribe sucked as a whole. I'm not sitting her telling you that just one woman could lift that tribe to the top and win competitions, but that tribe wasn't a complete waste at all. The tribe as a whole just came up short all the time, and I think if Steph was all that, she would have been able to lead them to more wins, and lead her tribe to work better as a tribe.

You call it a winning personality. A courageous, determined leader. She's just the underdog that America rooted for. I'm usually a sucker for underdogs, but not this time.

My bias against her is evident, Benny, so don't take this too personally. I'm just stating my opinion. I'm a hypocrite if anything, because I bash Survivor for bringing people back, when I applauded Big Brother for doing the same thing. How credible is my opinion? :tongue:

Nice rant against my rant ;) . I guess we'll just have to remain worlds apart on this one.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

GO, STEPH. Haha. I love her.

Everyone seems nice so far, but the evil people will emerge soon enough. I do like Margaret a lot.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:21 pm
Team Kris

YAY Margaret. I like her. I have a soft spot for NP's also.

Ew. The new Bobby Jon is icky. I liked him lanky/skinny. But I guess if he stays in the game long enough, he'll get skinny again. And now he's just "waiter." Wonder what happened to model? :lol:

Hah, and the water-ski instructor is from North Hollywood, how weird is that. Should I root for him? Heh.

I have a feeling that Brian guy will turn out evil. He gives me Brandon from Africa vibes.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:36 pm
Devil's Advocate

Jamie
Morgan
Judd
Lydia

Those were all picked rather quickly though, by the end of the episode I had a favorite but I couldn't have him anymore. Brandon. Hes cool. In my picks Judd is my favorite, I really like him.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:13 am
Where will you be?

Yeah, it wasn't anything amazing, but it does seem a bit different then some of the past seasons, so I'll keep watching. It's cool that Brooke is from Hood River, Oregon, I don't remember the last time someone was as close to my hometown Portland. I'll have to wait to really get a good idea of the players though, it's too early to tell about most of them.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:40 am
Some days I'm a super bitch

Shity twist. Not even good enough for a lesser show like Big Brother.

Oh, and speaking of Big Brother. Did anyone else notice that the folks at CBS used Maggie's and Eric's silhouettes in promoting the returning-player twist? Weird. :huh:

Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next