Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Recommend a Bethesda-like PC game 
Extraordinary

Post Recommend a Bethesda-like PC game
I need a new game. My favorite games have been

Skyrim (and all the other Elder Scrolls games)
Fallout (and New Vegas)
Witcher
Dragon Age
Fable
Two Worlds
Mass Effect
Pirates

I like role-playing games, obviously, with a preference for huge worlds to explore like in Bethesda games. Any suggestions?

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Post Re: Recommend a Bethesda-like PC game
Stalker - not a roleplaying game but its very open world and huge with alot of roleplay elements

Red Dead Redemption - Again not a rpg but very open world and its a western game.

Borderlands 2 - rpg first person shooter in dinotopia setting. Very open world too

Deus Ex 3 - first person futuristice rpg with a few stealth elements. I really like the graphics of this game. Wish it was a little longer though but still long enough to last you around 25-35 hours

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:46 pm
The Kramer

Borderlands.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 pm
Extraordinary

Borderlands is nothing like a Bethesda game. It's not open world either. It's a shooter with a bunch of big levels.

There ain't no games like Bethesda games, exceptions are a few games from Europe, the Gothic series comes to mind, or Two Worlds, or Divinity. They are not quite as huge and go wherever you want as Elder Scrolls games but the closest you'll get.

Dragon's Dogma is more RPG lite, with a focus more on action, but it has an open world.

Maybe you should also try Demon Souls. You'll have no clue what's going on and there ain't no quests really but it has a nice moody atmosphere. It's more of a dungeon crawler.

Last edited by Nazgul9 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Nazgul9 wrote:
Borderlands is nothing like a Bethesda game. It's not open world either. It's a shooter with a bunch of big levels.

There ain't no games like Bethesda games, exceptions are a few games from Europe, the Gothic series comes to mind, or Two Worlds, or Divinity.

Dragon's Dogma is more RPG lite, with a focus more on action, but it has an open world.

Maybe you should also try Demon Souls. You'll have no clue what's going on and there ain't no quests really but it has a nice moody atmosphere. It's more of a dungeon crawler.

Big levels? I know you hate Borderlands but that is just ridiculous. Yet you recommended Dark Souls which like Borderlands, zones don't open up until you progress further in the game. Another thing too with Dark Souls/Demon Souls can be very frustrating for players because the difficulty is so hard that when you die, your progress gets set back 30-40mins. No one likes a corpse run. That thing is reserved for hardcore MMOs like Ultima Online and Everquest.

One game I forgot to list is Kingdom of Amarur

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:58 pm
Extraordinary

There's nothing ridiculous about my statement. I don't hate Borderlands either, or else i would not have played them. The series is overrated, however.

I didn't recommend Demon Souls for its open world. Dungeon crawler suggests it's more a bunch of hallways rather than an open world, it has a few places that open up a little bit, though.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:05 pm
The Kramer

Borderlands has tons of quests, a level up system and talent trees. Not just a shooter.

Kingdoms of Amular is a nice choice too. It might give you too much right away though. I was indestructible about 40% into the game.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:45 pm
Extraordinary

Far Cry 3 is the much better shooter with RPG elements. And it has a true open world.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:22 pm
The Original

Currently I am playing

DIVINITY 2 The Dragon Knight Saga

Not as big as Skyrim as Nazgul said but it goes in that direction. And I had so far fun for hours and hours.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Nazgul9 wrote:
Far Cry 3 is the much better shooter with RPG elements. And it has a true open world.

I got bored with Far Cry 3. ITs weird because I liked the second one.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 pm
Extraordinary

Nazgul9 wrote:

There ain't no games like Bethesda games, exceptions are a few games from Europe, the Gothic series comes to mind, or Two Worlds, or Divinity. They are not quite as huge and go wherever you want as Elder Scrolls games but the closest you'll get.

I remember playing Gothic 3 and thinking it was OK. Is there a new one?

I enjoyed the Two Worlds series. I'll check out your suggestions (and the other ones I've seen here). Thanks everyone.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The graphics are shit by today's standards but you should try the first two Gothics, those are the best ones. There is a Gothic 4 made by a different team. I haven't played it beyond the demo. It's apparently not that good but you might still like it. Piranha Bytes, the developers of the first 3 Gothic's went on to make a new series, Risen (1 & 2 so far), which is pretty much the same game as Gothic in a different setting.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:19 pm
Extraordinary

Some of these games are not available for the PC. :(

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I've never played a Tomb Raider game, and this new one is getting good reviews. Comments?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Have it lying here but haven't tried it yet. Want to make the last remaining achievement on Dead Space 3 first. I can't move on before finishing my previous game. ;)

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:38 pm
Extraordinary

Hey, what's this "Dishonored" game from Bethesda like?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:06 pm
Profile WWW

^
Its kind of like the game Thief. It was a pretty good game although initially I thought it was going be more open world but it really isn't if thats what you are looking for

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm
Forum General

Red Dead Redemption is like GTA Western Styles..

However the game was the GOTY and will likely go down for having one of the best stories in a game recently.

Also you can have good old fashion duels :)

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

You have asked how's Tomb Raider earlier. Well, it's frigging amazing! Some of the best 3rd person gameplay, fluid, intuitive cover mechanics, tight shooting, explorable locations, so cinematic, you really feel for Lara. Oh, Lara... :wub2:

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:39 pm
Extraordinary

Looking for a new game for the PC along these lines. Any new suggestions?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:58 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Breath of the Wild is Zelda-Skyrim but you probably don't have a Switch. Have you played Dragon Age 3 yet?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:15 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Breath of the Wild is Zelda-Skyrim but you probably don't have a Switch. Have you played Dragon Age 3 yet?

Yes, enjoyed all the Dragon Age games quite a bit, 3 especially.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:38 pm
Profile WWW

Not sure if you still enjoy turn based games like Baldur's Gate but I highly recommend Divinity Original Sin 2 because of how you can really customize your character class

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:43 pm
Extraordinary

El Maskado wrote:
Not sure if you still enjoy turn based games like Baldur's Gate but I highly recommend Divinity Original Sin 2 because of how you can really customize your character class

I generally don't like turn based games but I did enjoy Baldur's Gate -- even though it was turn-based, you could just let them fight and then just pause if you wanted to give specific instructions. Is it like that?

I see it's been given really good reviews.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 am
Profile WWW

Groucho wrote:
El Maskado wrote:

I generally don't like turn based games but I did enjoy Baldur's Gate -- even though it was turn-based, you could just let them fight and then just pause if you wanted to give specific instructions. Is it like that?

I see it's been given really good reviews.

Not quite the same way. Its more turn based like the early Fallout games from the 90s and Neverwinter Nights. Pretty much you control every turn of your party members including your summon's turn. However there are tutorials in game that guide you. Don't be detered by it because it was one of the reason why the game gets high praise because of the mechanics of the combat system.

You get to use different aspects of the skill based system falling under range, rogue, warrior, healer, necromancer, shape shifter, elementalist

The game clocked in for me at 120 hours which was 40 more hours than Witcher 3 and Dragon Age

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]