Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Dilemmas and Decisions 
You must have big rats

Post Re: Dilemmas and decisions
BTW, I have decided to talk to her sister about it (let's call her Lisa) because she is just too good of a friend to keep it from her and might be upset if she finds it out eventually without me ever telling her, considering we have always been talking about all personal things.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:59 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The main thing left to decide is whether I fess up to Emily during my large birthday bash on Friday (pros: I have my boys around, which gives me courage and support in the case of a bitter rejection, I feel more during an event dedicated to me; cons: it will put her in an awkward spot because of all of the aforementioned pros and she does not feel that comfortable in masses. Also, I might be drunk and stupid) or on a more intimate occasion (pros: no disturbance, no outside factors; cons: awkward silence once it is said and little room for either to remove themselves from the conversation and distract themselves).

A very good friend asked why I would want to fess up at all after yesterday and my answer is: honesty. That is important for any friendship and I would want to know that too. And possible catharsis for me.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Dr. Lecter wrote:
BTW, I have decided to talk to her sister about it (let's call her Lisa) because she is just too good of a friend to keep it from her and might be upset if she finds it out eventually without me ever telling her, considering we have always been talking about all personal things.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:17 am
Devil's Advocate

Pretty sure confronting her at a party with a whole bunch of people and dragging her sister into it is not what she meant by giving her more space

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:26 am
Keeping it Light

:funny:

Dr. Lecter wrote:

This sounds like a good assessment of the situation. Considering your situation, you are close friends with her I think being graceful about the situation is more important than anything. Even if she's indeed as it appears not interested in you, she should at least be flattered and want to continue being friends as long as you won't be weird about it. There's a big chance that through it all she might want to hang out less though if she finds out, actually I think this will be unavoidable, but also that would probably be the best for you too.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:29 am
On autopilot for the summer

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Thegun wrote:
You waited too long man. You needed to focus on the quality and not the quantity of time. Sorry to hear that. So you never said anything? I can't said I ever had someone I consider a close friend tell me basically fuck off for a extended period time before. That makes me feel like you should have just gone for it, your views on the closeness of the friendship seem different.

Don't be discouraged though, just let it slide and start hooking up with other girls, maybe you can make her jealous

What?

Considering the crush has essentially lasted for about a month so far, I doubt anyone can file it under "waiting too long". And she didn't tell me to fuck off for an extended period of time since we are going to see each other this week and most likely next week again. Just not every other night.

Wait what? Only a month, tell the truth dude, you basically drunkingly told her you loved her at some party a year ago. That means you at least have thought about it an extended period before. You might have only wanted to act on it for a month, but this is since however long you've known her .

Also that sounds so weird and creepy. I would not see her next week. Cut her off and make her want to see you, that's literally all you have left, see if she misses you. Also why did you deny it? You have no chance at this point IMO with supergirl. Everything you've done is wrong. Man, you definitely put my MLK day off to a bad start.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:40 am
The Original

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Who does know you have a crush on Emely?
Why telling the sister? Doesnt that make the situation unnecessarily akward?

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:36 pm
You must have big rats

Thegun wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Thegun wrote:
You waited too long man. You needed to focus on the quality and not the quantity of time. Sorry to hear that. So you never said anything? I can't said I ever had someone I consider a close friend tell me basically fuck off for a extended period time before. That makes me feel like you should have just gone for it, your views on the closeness of the friendship seem different.

Don't be discouraged though, just let it slide and start hooking up with other girls, maybe you can make her jealous

What?

Considering the crush has essentially lasted for about a month so far, I doubt anyone can file it under "waiting too long". And she didn't tell me to fuck off for an extended period of time since we are going to see each other this week and most likely next week again. Just not every other night.

Wait what? Only a month, tell the truth dude, you basically drunkingly told her you loved her at some party a year ago. That means you at least have thought about it an extended period before. You might have only wanted to act on it for a month, but this is since however long you've known her .

Also that sounds so weird and creepy. I would not see her next week. Cut her off and make her want to see you, that's literally all you have left, see if she misses you. Also why did you deny it? You have no chance at this point IMO with supergirl. Everything you've done is wrong. Man, you definitely put my MLK day off to a bad start.

Jesus, you're such a tool.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

FILMO wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Who does know you have a crush on Emely?
Why telling the sister? Doesnt that make the situation unnecessarily akward?

Four of my closest friends. And her sister is the fifth. Under any different circumstances I would have told her long ago.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

stuffp wrote:
:funny:

Dr. Lecter wrote:

This sounds like a good assessment of the situation. Considering your situation, you are close friends with her I think being graceful about the situation is more important than anything. Even if she's indeed as it appears not interested in you, she should at least be flattered and want to continue being friends as long as you won't be weird about it. There's a big chance that through it all she might want to hang out less though if she finds out, actually I think this will be unavoidable, but also that would probably be the best for you too.

Many years ago, the situation was similar, but reversed between her sister and me. With the difference that we weren't such close friends back then. It actually led to us hanging out more together and growing closer.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Shack wrote:
Pretty sure confronting her at a party with a whole bunch of people and dragging her sister into it is not what she meant by giving her more space

She has actually never said that, I just had to paraphrase a bit. Though both are still valid concerns. I am meeting her sister tomorrow for lunch anyway and I am having my birthday party anyway as well, so I will spontaneously decide what I'll do and say.

I must say, five years ago I'd have found this sort of drama kinda exciting, now it is just annoying and tiring.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Well, I rediscovered my balls and despite every single one of my friends advising against it, I talked to her sister about it - which was absolutely the right decision and she was just as supportive and understanding as I hoped and expected. Shows that listening to your gut is sometimes most important. She wasn't entirely shocked either, apparently she and another friends of ours have already joked about it in the past considering how much we have been hanging out. She said she'd be very happy for me and for her sister, but, as I expected, she also warned me about her sister's bad history with relationships. Either way, she said she'll be very happy for us if it works out and she'll be there for me if it doesn't or if I decide not to disclose anything, but just someone to talk to. Considering both sisters are currently closer to me than to each other, there is no danger that she will tell her, but she also has no idea what her sister is thinking because they don't talk much to each other anymore.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Nice, that's a positive.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 am
You must have big rats

I needed a positive, so yeah.

Now it is just the matter whether I'll tell Emily on Friday or not. Thing is that we have breakfast and dance classes planned for after that, so telling her Friday might ruin these things. I am just impatient...

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Don't tell her Friday. For the love of god.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:02 pm
You must have big rats

Interestingly, opinions are split among my close friends whether I should tell it to her then or not (in the end, I will always do what my gut feeling tells me anyway). Some think it is not the right place and time, others think that it is better than uncomfortable silence and awkwardness if it happens in a one-on-one situation.

One thing for sure, I will certainly say or do something on Friday, if it is only a compliment or whatever.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Dr. Lecter wrote:
but, as I expected, she also warned me about her sister's bad history with relationships.

Did she go into details with that?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:11 pm
You must have big rats

FILMO wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
but, as I expected, she also warned me about her sister's bad history with relationships.

Did she go into details with that?

She didn't have to. I know most of it.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Good luck.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Not sure with what precisely, but I'll take it, thanks.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Not sure with what precisely, but I'll take it, thanks.

With whatever you decide to do on ... dum dum dum ... FRIDAY!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Yeah... For better or worse, I don't think it will be a conscious decision. I am looking to my birthday party (because it is the big event I get to organize each year) and I'm dreading it at the same time. My emotional turmoil aside, I have 30+ guests to entertain and guide from location to location (13 in total) in subzero temperatures. I have been planning it for weeks and usually I live for this shit, throwing big wild parties. But lately, my mind has just been elsewhere.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

What do you think doing the best thing by HER would be? Or what she would want you to do?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:37 pm
You must have big rats

If I knew it, I wouldn't be so conflicted ;) Maybe she would just want me to never say anything about it whatsoever.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Putting that possibility aside, I think that she would want honesty. Her sister certainly did and was glad I told her now instead of her finding out about it later.

Under what circumstances? Knowing her, I think she could be uncomfortable with both options in different ways (more pressure and a hectic environment on Friday, more awkwardness when in private). I guess she would prefer the latter, however, I don't think that I can ONLY think about what she would prefer.

That being said, what is more likely is that I will ask her out for a dinner or a coffee on Friday for some time later, instead of giving the full disclosure. That, unless, she initiates the talk herself. I will certainly not lie then.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next