Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 US Employment Rate at 34 year Low at 63.3% 
Forum General

Post US Employment Rate at 34 year Low at 63.3%
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100618938

"Moreover, the drop in the jobless rate was little more than a statistical anomaly, with the labor-force participation rate tumbling to a 34-year low of 63.3 percent. "

It appears the unemployment rate declining has little to do with much economic growth but the fact millions of people are no longer part of the labour force. Economic gains of 100-200k jobs a month are small in a country of 300 million.

I think this is a very serious issue that needs to adressed.
US employment levels were well over 70% during the 80's and 90's and have decline dramatically to the levels you see in places like France.

With a increasing number of dependents and fewer people working and paying into these entitlements...

I think there is a rather aminous future ahead.

There is no point gloating about having a 6% unemployment rate when only 6/10 are working.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: US Employment Rate at 34 year Low at 63.3%
I'm gonna gloat anyway.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 pm
Extraordinary

There's no convincing these bush bots of anything. Everything is fine. If it weren't for the pesky thing called a Congress he'd be able to complete his vision. He's done a wonderful job! God Save the King!

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:22 am
Forum General

The point is not to say "haha Look Obama is bad"

Its a sign that an economic malaise is forming across the country and if people on the left want to create a "socially just" society with more entitlements, you need to have more people working and paying taxes.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:30 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'll get right on that.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 pm
Powered By Hate

You realize it's more profitable now in capitalism to attack labor than invest in tech, right? Maybe our corporate masters don't *want* high employment or rising wages.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:25 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Tyler wrote:
You realize it's more profitable now in capitalism to attack labor than invest in tech, right? Maybe our corporate masters don't *want* high employment or rising wages.

Corporate profits are at some all time highs but I think you meant attack labor and invest in tech?

Plus, perhaps "labor" sees it as more profitable to live a decent (but not great) life without work rather than scrounge by doing work? The higher education bubble is going to burst soon as well.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I like how they switched over to citing "employment rates" from the previously cited "unemployment rates".

Lovely little trick akin to how they mess with the size and number of sheets on toilet paper rolls.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yay for twisting numbers!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 am
Powered By Hate

Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Corporate profits are at some all time highs but I think you meant attack labor and invest in tech?

No, I mean actually eat wages and benefits versus investing in labor-saving technology. The first one has been more profitable the last 30 years. I'll try and find the study. The mass of profits isn't the rate of profit either, which is what really matters.

Quote:
Plus, perhaps "labor" sees it as more profitable to live a decent (but not great) life without work rather than scrounge by doing work? The higher education bubble is going to burst soon as well.

Erm...unemployment and welfare are limited. And yeah, PhD baristas are turning into a rule.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:50 am
Powered By Hate

That being said, wages being in terminal decline is going to have...interesting effects. In the Chinese sense.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:53 am
Forum General

Quote:
I like how they switched over to citing "employment rates" from the previously cited "unemployment rates".

That is because the unemployment rate has been twisted around by the fact such vast portions of the US population are no longer working...
Unemployment only looks at this who are unemployed looking for work while employment shows what % is actually working.

Imo it is important because here in Canada we have actually gained jobs net after the recession but for some strange reason the unemployment rate is higher and the employment rate is lower???

Why is that?

Simply put the 200 k or so jobs that get created each month that people celebrate is simply a drop in the bucket. Ever since 2008 employment growth has been low and has not even stayed with population growth.

During the Clinton and Reagan years well over 70% of the working age population was empoloyed and now its fallen to 63%.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Neoliberalism brought a temporary boost in employment through a rise in profitability while slashing wages.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 pm
Forum General

Lol if we are going to call the 80's and 90's a temp boost then Obama's temp boost with Keynesian economic was a big waste of money in comparison ^

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

...I'm not defending Obama. Obama's part of practically the same paradigm. Demand-side Keynesianism while public employment got slashed. Krugmanian fairy dust isn't gonna help either because those colossal make-work projects being proposed in some quarters would be a giant drag on the surplus sending us right back into square one. There's a reason no reformism is politically viable and it's because high capital doesn't want it, especially something like full employment or wages rising permanently for the first time in 4 decades. Kalecki saw this 70 years ago and yet someone like Krugman doesn't get it despite apparently having read him. American capitalism's in terminal decline because it no longer replenishes the forces of production. Same in western Europe. It's reliant on rampant financial speculation and political stonewalling. Western wages will be falling forever and unemployment's probably permanently high within the current economic system.

The country needs a revolution.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 am
Extraordinary

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Quote:

That is because the unemployment rate has been twisted around by the fact such vast portions of the US population are no longer working...
Unemployment only looks at this who are unemployed looking for work while employment shows what % is actually working.

Imo it is important because here in Canada we have actually gained jobs net after the recession but for some strange reason the unemployment rate is higher and the employment rate is lower???

Why is that?

Simply put the 200 k or so jobs that get created each month that people celebrate is simply a drop in the bucket. Ever since 2008 employment growth has been low and has not even stayed with population growth.

During the Clinton and Reagan years well over 70% of the working age population was empoloyed and now its fallen to 63%.

OMG - - you're one of them! :noway:

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:51 am