Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 US Employment Rate at 34 year Low at 63.3% 
Powered By Hate

Post Re: US Employment Rate at 34 year Low at 63.3%
ironmanbarry wrote:
Tyler wrote:
...have you considered that our corporate masters don't WANT full employment?

Well Companies doing things to get out of obamacare are a great example of that. And can you blame them as it isn't he job of private companies to help out a f'ed up government or President.

No, it has nothing to do with Obama or Congress. Our capitalist masters don't want full employment because a) the world economy is in shambles and it's a bad time to invest (the US can't do anything about what goes on in Europe or Japan), b) full employment means MASSIVELY increased worker bargaining power, c) a long stagnation period like this means they can slash wages, benefits, attack unions and move to privatize and undermine public programs.

Also, private companies control the government and society. Duh.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:54 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Tyler wrote:
ironmanbarry wrote:
Tyler wrote:
...have you considered that our corporate masters don't WANT full employment?

Well Companies doing things to get out of obamacare are a great example of that. And can you blame them as it isn't he job of private companies to help out a f'ed up government or President.

No, it has nothing to do with Obama or Congress. Our capitalist masters don't want full employment because a) the world economy is in shambles and it's a bad time to invest (the US can't do anything about what goes on in Europe or Japan), b) full employment means MASSIVELY increased worker bargaining power, c) a long stagnation period like this means they can slash wages, benefits, attack unions and move to privatize and undermine public programs.

Also, private companies control the government and society. Duh.

Have you ever had a job? You attribute much more intelligence to corporations than they warrant and private companies do not control the government and society.

Our system now is a mish-mash of both government and corporate deal-making. Big companies like the fed keeping its peddle on fake dollars. They like "too big to fail." They likes rent seeking. They like barriers to entry being so high, due to stupid regulations, that small companies have a difficult time penetrating the market.

Since we are controlled by our corporate overlords, who presumably are in cahoots with each other, why can't they "do anything about what goes on in Europe or Japan"? They control what goes on here, they should be able to control what goes on over there too, no? If not, why not?

Why would our capitalist overlords want prolonged stagnation? That enables people to attack capitalism (which is not what we now have) for its "faults" and plan for more and more government, kind of like what you are doing. Health care, increased unemployment benefits, increases in SNAP allocations, etc. have all occurred during this stagnation. I see no cutting or undermining, except for maybe the fact that some (few) people have come to the realization that our social safety net is a fraud peddled by years of politicians pushing fake crap down our throats with no consequences whatsoever.

Do you wish we all lived in the 1950s where we could push a drill bit into a piece of a car over-and-over for 8 hours a day for 30 years and retire? No thinking whatsoever but sticking it to the man? Should we all be equal? Doctors get the same benefits that the drill bit assembly-line worker gets? A democratically elected wage and benefit board could make calculations for all laborers and make things much more egalitarian. That would be great.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Caius wrote:
Have you ever had a job?

Yes.

Quote:
You attribute much more intelligence to corporations than they warrant

Not really. It's pure class interest.

Quote:
and private companies do not control the government and society.

LOL. Don't make me laugh. Where's a ton of that legislation coming from in state legislatures other than corporate think tanks?

Quote:
Our system now is a mish-mash of both government and corporate deal-making. Big companies like the fed keeping its peddle on fake dollars. They like "too big to fail." They likes rent seeking. They like barriers to entry being so high, due to stupid regulations, that small companies have a difficult time penetrating the market.

Duh. It's been this way since industrialism took over, and capitalism tends towards monopoly and concentration.

Quote:
Since we are controlled by our corporate overlords, who presumably are in cahoots with each other, why can't they "do anything about what goes on in Europe or Japan"? They control what goes on here, they should be able to control what goes on over there too, no? If not, why not?

They aren't gods and Japanese and European companies and banks have their own interests. European capital especially is glad to use the recession as a sticking point to attack labor and the social safety net, because they've been meaning to do it for thirty years. Like Margaret Thatcher used to say, there is no alternative. You could probably stop the recession tomorrow if there was a private debt jubilee, which would clear out a lot of dead capital, but...

Quote:
Why would our capitalist overlords want prolonged stagnation? That enables people to attack capitalism (which is not what we now have) for its "faults" and plan for more and more government, kind of like what you are doing. Health care, increased unemployment benefits, increases in SNAP allocations, etc. have all occurred during this stagnation.

LOL what? Actually no, cutting wages and labor power makes people *less* likely to confront their bosses. Strikes happen most during times of prosperity and high employment. Health care "reform" is a health insurance cartel life extension policy with a patina of reform. Kalecki's Political Aspects Of Full Employment turned out to be prophetic.

We don't have capitalism? Let me guess, it's "crony capitalism"? Same thing. Capitalism was never defined as some Randian or libertarian ancap wankfest. It was always defined to describe the actually existing world economic system.

The "I want more government" thing is a strawman argument anyway. It's not like government is an independent social force. Who controls society itself is important. I don't particularly care about government.

Quote:
I see no cutting or undermining

It's happening mainly on the city and state level, though there's been minicuts from stuff like the sequester. Public sector jobs have been cut to the bone too.

Quote:
Do you wish we all lived in the 1950s where we could push a drill bit into a piece of a car over-and-over for 8 hours a day for 30 years and retire? No thinking whatsoever but sticking it to the man? Should we all be equal? Doctors get the same benefits that the drill bit assembly-line worker gets? A democratically elected wage and benefit board could make calculations for all laborers and make things much more egalitarian. That would be great.

Democratically-elected management and ownership would be an improvement. At least the 50s had consistently rising wages and compensation, not four decades of people eating it. Maybe less people would feel the need to shoot up the workplace. Ever notice how rarely that happened before the 80s?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:53 am
Star Trek XI

FYI, so many companies are doing everything that they can to get out of obamacare, that in the future, it will have an effect on lots of jobs. Maybe not as a total %, but it is big enough that I bet it is being discussed at every company, on what to do and do we want to make changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bITU#t=58s

IronMan1: RT Score 93%, Average Rating: 7.6/10, Reviews Counted: 238, Fresh: 222 | Rotten: 16
IronMan2: RT Score 73%, Average Rating: 6.5/10, Reviews Counted: 274, Fresh: 201 | Rotten: 73
IronMan3: RT Score 78%, Average Rating: 6.9/10, Reviews Counted: 260, Fresh: 203 | Rotten: 57
IronMan4/5/6/7/8/9: TBD

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

ironmanbarry wrote:
FYI, so many companies are doing everything that they can to get out of obamacare, that in the future, it will have an effect on lots of jobs. Maybe not as a total %, but it is big enough that I bet it is being discussed at every company, on what to do and do we want to make changes.

Interestingly, our CEO, at out company's last all-hands meeting, commented that "your healthcare will not be going away or be curtailed, contrary to what some talking heads are trying to scare you into believing." Take that for what little it is worth.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Major Problem is when the recession occured companies fired a lot of people to lower costs.

They then realized people are more desperate and willing to work more for less.

Meaning where there was 10 people in a department, 8 people are doing the same amount of work as before.

That is the reason why many jobs have not been created.

Many companies have been able to make a lot of changes that would have in normal times caused employees to threaten to leave a company.

Now for every person in a office desk there are 1000 to take his place

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 am
Profile WWW