Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 National Defense Authorization Act 
Killing With Kindness

Post National Defense Authorization Act
http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_19413004

Quote:
Section 1031, would let the military lock up both Americans and noncitizens in the 50 states. There would be no charges, no trial, no proof beyond a reasonable doubt. All that would be required would be suspicion.

Thoughts?

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Post Re: National Defense Authorization Act
Does anyone remember the movie with John Agar, "The Brain From Planet Arous"?

I think Joe McCarthy, Richard Daley, Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon ain't dead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050210/plotsummary

EDIT: John McCain co-authored this P.o.S. Must have been watching his P.O.W. movies again...

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I read that this was actually requested by the Obama Administration. My thought is that it is abominable. If captured outside the United States and on a battlefield, fine, lock them away without any habeas corpus rights for the remainder of hostilities and preferably in some secret prison in a friendly dictators country.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Horrible.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:46 am

Caius wrote:
I read that this was actually requested by the Obama Administration. My thought is that it is abominable. If captured outside the United States and on a battlefield, fine, lock them away without any habeas corpus rights for the remainder of hostilities and preferably in some secret prison in a friendly dictators country.

Except Obama plans to veto the bill:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-ne ... ns-of-veto

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:26 pm
Extraordinary

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Caius wrote:

Yeah I was going to say that too. I thought he was against this bill.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Caius wrote:

What relevance is that to my statement? My understanding is the Administration's veto threat concerned Guantanamo type issues.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/SenateSession4951

Go to the 4:43 mark and you can hear Democratic Senator Carl Levin on the floor of the Senate say just what I said. That the Obama administration pushed for the removal of the language which would have exempted U.S. Citizens from such indefinite detention.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BJ wrote:
http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_19413004

Quote:
Section 1031, would let the military lock up both Americans and noncitizens in the 50 states. There would be no charges, no trial, no proof beyond a reasonable doubt. All that would be required would be suspicion.

Thoughts?

Well...

We have to defeat the terrorists you know. This is the only way we can do it. This is the only way we can win.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:02 pm
loyalfromlondon

Throwing away habeas corpus and locking up American citizens without charges, trial, or proof is not how you win. It's how the terrorists win.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Caius wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Caius wrote:

What relevance is that to my statement? My understanding is the Administration's veto threat concerned Guantanamo type issues.

Go to the 4:43 mark and you can hear Democratic Senator Carl Levin on the floor of the Senate say just what I said. That the Obama administration pushed for the removal of the language which would have exempted U.S. Citizens from such indefinite detention.

What the hell are you talking about? I think that's what you want him to say more than what he actually stated. It would seem as though the president does have some desire to get something like this passed, but the senators drones on about how the bill is not developed enough, and later on states how the bill as it is could override 200 years of legal work, and how the bill as it currently exists could have horrible side effects.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:10 pm
Forum General

Frankly the govt has been able to able to lock up people and hold them for a long time anyways (look at what happened after 9/11) and can simply suspend habeas corpus in a time of war.

Also, Obama could veto it but he will use drones to kill any threat (own citizen) it appears and imo I think there is nothing wrong with that.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:41 am
Profile WWW

Caius wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Caius wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? I think that's what you want him to say more than what he actually stated. It would seem as though the president does have some desire to get something like this passed, but the senators drones on about how the bill is not developed enough, and later on states how the bill as it is could override 200 years of legal work, and how the bill as it currently exists could have horrible side effects.

Okay, so I've gone back and re-listened to the clip you provided. I apologize for saying things a little too hastedly, and now I see your point. My counter still stands that the senator from Colorado does state that the president wants to review the stated amendment, and that's his desire to pull the amendment out.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:15 am

In fact, when John McCain takes the floor, he gets pretty passionate about his frustration with Obama having an issue with the whole situation concerning the bill stripping away Miranda Rights

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:19 am
Killing With Kindness

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Frankly the govt has been able to able to lock up people and hold them for a long time anyways (look at what happened after 9/11) and can simply suspend habeas corpus in a time of war.

Also, Obama could veto it but he will use drones to kill any threat (own citizen) it appears and imo I think there is nothing wrong with that.

I prefer they would not be able to do it easily.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:22 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

In fact, when John McCain takes the floor, he gets pretty passionate about his frustration with Obama having an issue with the whole situation concerning the bill stripping away Miranda Rights

How does Mcshame still have any influence.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:22 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

John McCain is a very well known guy and is a senior senator...

His influence has waned but it is still high.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

And what is the point of this legislation but to overthrow Due Process and deny a fair hearing?
The government already has the power to hold dangerous suspects without bail. A defense attorney isn't going to be able to contradict reasonable evidence.
Even O.J. was in jail for a year before his case went to trial and he wasn't even a terrorist.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

As Jon Stewart pointed out last night, it is sufficient evidence for detaining a US citizen indefinitely without charges or trial under this new law, if you are found with more than a seven day supply of food in your house.

Of course, this is only another nail in the coffin - - American freedom died quite some time ago.

:(

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:51 am
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Caius wrote:

Well I heard something different on CNN. They said Obama was threatening a veto over that part of the bill.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]