Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Wisconsin Protests 

Who do you side with?
The Republicans because the budget is out of control. 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
The Republicans because I dislike public sector unions. 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
The Democrats because the rich can afford more taxes 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
The Democrats because teachers secure the future of our children. 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
The Democrats because the Republicans are union busting 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Wisconsin Protests 
A very honest-hearted fellow

Post Re: Wisconsin Protests
Groucho wrote:
Caius wrote:
The issue here is public and not private unions.

So?

Seriously, why does that matter?

Apparently you fail to understand the bargaining differences between the government and the private sector, not to mention the fact that the government has never been known for treating its employees badly or to having created horrible working conditions.

Public sector employee unions negotiate contracts with a monopoly (the government). A monopoly has nowhere near the incentive to control costs that a non-monopoly has because the monopoly can push the costs onto the consumer and suffer few ill consequences. In this case the consumer is the taxpayer.

When the union and government negotiate a contract, they push costs onto the taxpayer. These costs are not easy for the taxpayer to see because they are taken from general tax funds, rather than from a specific outlay which is paid for via a specific tax. Furthermore, if the taxpayer doesn't like how teachers perform, or the DoL employee behaves, or the sign holder holds the sign, or the custodian cleans the government toilet, he has no option. He has to deal with these people and even if he somehow limits his interactions, the taxpayer still has to fund these people. The government has minimal need to drive a hard bargain, especially when tax revenue is flowing well, because there is no real consequence to negotiating a bad contract with the union.

When Ford negotiates a contract with the UAW, it has every incentive to control costs. If it negotiates a contract that soaks Ford on health benefits and disciplinary procedure costs, well guess what, Ford has to account for these costs in the price of its products. If a Ford product costs 5% more to produce than a comparable Volkswagen product, then a consumer has the option of paying for the higher priced Ford vehicle or it can purchase the cheaper Volkswagen.

Ford is well aware that it has to keep down labor costs and it will try to do what it can to negotiate with the Union so that it has less expensive products.

The private sector union also realizes that it has every incentive to keep Ford profitable because that is how it is paid. The union will try to drive a hard bargain, but it will at least have an incentive to be somewhat flexible because it knows that the higher Ford's labor costs, the higher the chance that there will be lost sales and therefore a higher chance of Ford laying off workers.

Public sector unions have no incentive to keep down government costs because it knows it negotiates with, as I said before, a monopoly. If the government negotiates a terrible contract with the union, oh well, the taxpayer will simply have to foot the bill. Further, the union will make sure that government officials have a secure voting block in future elections.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
Apparently you fail to understand the bargaining differences between the government and the private sector, not to mention the fact that the government has never been known for treating its employees badly or to having created horrible working conditions.

Or, just possibly, I understand completely well and do not believe that it matters. We can have a much better conversation if you don't go assuming things about me and think that everyone who disagrees with you is stupid. Then again, given your original poll, perhaps I expect too much from you.

Caius wrote:
Public sector employee unions negotiate contracts with a monopoly (the government). A monopoly has nowhere near the incentive to control costs that a non-monopoly has because the monopoly can push the costs onto the consumer and suffer few ill consequences. In this case the consumer is the taxpayer.

When the union and government negotiate a contract, they push costs onto the taxpayer. These costs are not easy for the taxpayer to see because they are taken from general tax funds, rather than from a specific outlay which is paid for via a specific tax. Furthermore, if the taxpayer doesn't like how teachers perform, or the DoL employee behaves, or the sign holder holds the sign, or the custodian cleans the government toilet, he has no option. He has to deal with these people and even if he somehow limits his interactions, the taxpayer still has to fund these people. The government has minimal need to drive a hard bargain, especially when tax revenue is flowing well, because there is no real consequence to negotiating a bad contract with the union.

When Ford negotiates a contract with the UAW, it has every incentive to control costs. If it negotiates a contract that soaks Ford on health benefits and disciplinary procedure costs, well guess what, Ford has to account for these costs in the price of its products. If a Ford product costs 5% more to produce than a comparable Volkswagen product, then a consumer has the option of paying for the higher priced Ford vehicle or it can purchase the cheaper Volkswagen.

Ford is well aware that it has to keep down labor costs and it will try to do what it can to negotiate with the Union so that it has less expensive products.

The private sector union also realizes that it has every incentive to keep Ford profitable because that is how it is paid. The union will try to drive a hard bargain, but it will at least have an incentive to be somewhat flexible because it knows that the higher Ford's labor costs, the higher the chance that there will be lost sales and therefore a higher chance of Ford laying off workers.

Public sector unions have no incentive to keep down government costs because it knows it negotiates with, as I said before, a monopoly. If the government negotiates a terrible contract with the union, oh well, the taxpayer will simply have to foot the bill. Further, the union will make sure that government officials have a secure voting block in future elections.

All that does is make negotiations different. Does it give public unions more power than private unions? Of course. Is that your basic argument? You don't like the balance? You think they have too much power in relation to the other side? You don't complain when it's the other way around though, do you?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Groucho wrote:
Aw, Krem, don't cry. Just because we disagree with you. You can still have your opinion.

It's OK. It's very admirable of you to stand up for the over-privileged like that. I mean, if you don't look out for their numerous homes, fancy cars, and weekends in Bermuda, who will? I'm sure your heart just bleeds when you worry about their incredible tax burden. Why, if people like me had their way, they might have to lay off one of the maids! The horror!

You see, Mike, the difference between you and me is that you want everyone to be equal in outcomes, even if it means that everyone is poorer for it, while I want everyone to be wealthier even if it means that some might be richer than others.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Cream of the Crop

TonyMontana wrote:
I can only talk from personal experience, but I would question whether teachers have more incompetent workers or ones committing crimes than any other profession.

I wouldn't suspect that either. But then again, this has nothing to do with my argument.

TonyMontana wrote:
And, again, I can only talk from personal experience, but I know of both tenured and non-tenured teachers that have been let go due to performance issues.

I think it's an exaggeration to suggest that it is a more protected or coddled profession than would be typical. It is also an exaggeration to suggest that the teacher's union is some powerful body that protects every bad teacher.

You must be completely blind if you're seriously making this argument. Have you ever heard of rubber rooms in New York City?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Cream of the Crop

Tyler wrote:
Krem wrote:
It's a sure sign of a meaningful debate when cartoons and punk rock music substitute for actual thoughts.

Have a good day, gentlemen.

What, don't like the Dead Kennedys? C'mon mang.

Oh I love the Dead Kennedys, but I don't see how their song has any relevance on public employee unions debate.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Extraordinary

Krem wrote:
Groucho wrote:
Aw, Krem, don't cry. Just because we disagree with you. You can still have your opinion.

It's OK. It's very admirable of you to stand up for the over-privileged like that. I mean, if you don't look out for their numerous homes, fancy cars, and weekends in Bermuda, who will? I'm sure your heart just bleeds when you worry about their incredible tax burden. Why, if people like me had their way, they might have to lay off one of the maids! The horror!

You see, Mike, the difference between you and me is that you want everyone to be equal in outcomes, even if it means that everyone is poorer for it, while I want everyone to be wealthier even if it means that some might be richer than others.

Um, NO. I am not a communist.

What I want is an equal playing field -- where the bullies don't get to beat up the little kids just because they're bigger. Where everyone has the right to be treated the same, and where there's nothing wrong with banding together to have more power than you would have individually.

And I want a progressive tax system, where the amount you pay is not based on a simple % but instead based on how it will affect you. A tax of 20% of the income of someone only earning $20,000 a year means they have to not have decent housing, good food, or basic provisions for themselves and their family. 20% on a millionaire will hardly hurt at all.

So I'm about making the game fair for everyone. Those who are hard working, intelligent and talented can move in that system and won't be held back because the game is stacked against them, and those who are lucky enough to be at the top of the economic scale are willing to contribute back into the society that helped them get there.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Mike, you can't seriously be complaining about Caius simplifying the argument and accusing him of attacking you, while just on the last page you accused me of shilling for the rich as a way to brush off a legitimate argument.

Anyway, regarding the unions in the public sector - one other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that they are one of the biggest opponents to innovation in the public sector. Merit Pay for teachers? Opposed! School vouchers? Opposed! Liquor store privatization? Opposed!

And then they wonder why people don't feel sympathy for them.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Cream of the Crop

Groucho wrote:

Um, NO. I am not a communist.

What I want is an equal playing field -- where the bullies don't get to beat up the little kids just because they're bigger. Where everyone has the right to be treated the same, and where there's nothing wrong with banding together to have more power than you would have individually.

And I want a progressive tax system, where the amount you pay is not based on a simple % but instead based on how it will affect you. A tax of 20% of the income of someone only earning $20,000 a year means they have to not have decent housing, good food, or basic provisions for themselves and their family. 20% on a millionaire will hardly hurt at all.

So I'm about making the game fair for everyone. Those who are hard working, intelligent and talented can move in that system and won't be held back because the game is stacked against them, and those who are lucky enough to be at the top of the economic scale are willing to contribute back into the society that helped them get there.

Awww, how quickly do you find nuance when it's YOUR beliefs that are being mocked.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Groucho wrote:

Or, just possibly, I understand completely well and do not believe that it matters. We can have a much better conversation if you don't go assuming things about me and think that everyone who disagrees with you is stupid. Then again, given your original poll, perhaps I expect too much from you.

All that does is make negotiations different. Does it give public unions more power than private unions? Of course. Is that your basic argument? You don't like the balance? You think they have too much power in relation to the other side? You don't complain when it's the other way around though, do you?

First, I do not think that everyone who disagrees with me is stupid, professor. However, I do think that you are engaging in obfuscation by claiming that I am personally attacking you.

Second, I do not like public sector unions because I am required to pay for the increased costs of government that they inevitably incur without any corresponding increases in productivity.

Unions get two bites at the same apple: meaning, they vote in elections for politicians who can enact legislation regarding payment, working conditions, grievance procedures, benefit packages, sick leave, pensions, etc. Then, they also negotiate with the same government for a CBA. It is true that their preferred candidates do not always win, but they generally do not negotiate with an elected official, rather they do so with some unelected civil servant(s). Not to mention that in a way the public sector union's contract is voted on outside the normal budgetary system of the legislature.

Groucho, can you explain why there needs to be a public sector union? Is the government historically known for being a harsh taskmaster? For having terrible working conditions? For unfairly terminating employees?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
Groucho, can you explain why there needs to be a public sector union? Is the government historically known for being a harsh taskmaster? For having terrible working conditions? For unfairly terminating employees?

That's not all unions are about. By that argument, no union needs to exist any more.

Unions are to provide an equal negotiating tool -- to give workers who individually have no power against the other side some ability to work out problems instead of having to just deal with it.

Your attitude is that public unions never make compromises and always demand unrealistic things. You've used examples that those who are anti-union always give, as if those complaints should offset all the good things they have done. And you ignore the fact that in this case -- the case for which this discussion is about -- the union was willing to compromise and the Governor said no, he only wants them destroyed, no compromise is possible.

When you have someone who wants to destroy you, who refuses to negotiate, who wants to use the full power of the government to come down upon you -- well, should I make a parallel with what is happening in the Middle East? When people are united, they can prevent the government from crushing them.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Just for the fun of it, let's assume that teachers that have unions and collective bargaining do make it so that bad teachers never get removed and therefore kids get terrible educations.

It would logically follow then that states that don't have such rights would have better students who would score higher on SAT tests and such, right?

There are five states where teachers are denied collective bargaining rights: NC, SC, VA, TX and GA. Let's see where they rank for student scores:

South Carolina – 50th

North Carolina – 49th

Georgia – 48th

Texas – 47th

Virginia – 44th

Just to let you know, Wisconsin ranked 2nd in the country. :mer:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Groucho wrote:
Just for the fun of it, let's assume that teachers that have unions and collective bargaining do make it so that bad teachers never get removed and therefore kids get terrible educations.

It would logically follow then that states that don't have such rights would have better students who would score higher on SAT tests and such, right?

There are five states where teachers are denied collective bargaining rights: NC, SC, VA, TX and GA. Let's see where they rank for student scores:

South Carolina – 50th

North Carolina – 49th

Georgia – 48th

Texas – 47th

Virginia – 44th

Just to let you know, Wisconsin ranked 2nd in the country. :mer:

Not sure where these are coming from, but are you seriously suggesting that there's only one variable at play when it comes to determining test scores? Man, talk about simplifying the debate...

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

The state rankings for the 2010 ACT show no such results. Furthermore, not all students of a state even take the ACT or SAT so the results may be skewed and are likely not comparable unless adjusted.

http://www.act.org/news/data/10/states.html?utm_campaign=cccr10&utm_source=data&utm_medium=web (ACT results by state).

Under the ACT, Wisconsin ranked 17th nationally with 69% of its high school graduates taking the test for an average score of 22.1 with the national average being 21.0.

Virginia also ranked ahead of Wisconsin, although not by much. North Carolina only had 16% of its high school graduates even take the test, Virginia 22%, Texas 33%, Georgia 44%, and South Carolina 52%.

I looked up the 2010 SAT results too for Wisconsin. http://professionals.collegeboard.com/p ... _03_01.pdf (it is a .pdf).

Here is the best comparison I could find between the states for the SAT:

Quote:
Mean 2010 SAT Scores by State
States are listed by total 2010 SAT Scores

Rank State Critical Reading Math Writing Combined Participation Rate

1 Iowa 603 613 582 1798 3%
2 Minnesota 594 607 580 1781 7%
3 Wisconsin 595 604 579 1778 4%
4 Missouri 593 595 580 1768 4%
5 Michigan 585 605 576 1766 5%
6 South Dakota 592 603 571 1766 3%
7 Illinois 585 600 577 1762 6%
8 Kansas 590 595 567 1752 6%
9 Nebraska 585 593 568 1746 4%
10 North Dakota 580 594 559 1733 4%
11 Kentucky 575 575 563 1713 6%
12 Tennessee 576 571 565 1712 10%
13 Colorado 568 572 555 1695 18%
14 Arkansas 566 566 552 1684 4%
15 Oklahoma 569 568 547 1684 5%
16 Wyoming 570 567 546 1683 5%
17 Utah 568 559 547 1674 6%
18 Mississippi 566 548 552 1666 3%
19 Louisiana 555 550 547 1652 7%
20 Alabama 556 550 544 1650 7%
21 New Mexico 553 549 534 1636 11%
22 Ohio 538 548 522 1608 21%
23 Idaho 543 541 517 1601 19%
24 Montana 538 538 517 1593 24%
25 Washington 524 532 508 1564 54%
26 New Hampshire 520 524 510 1554 77%
27 Massachusetts 512 526 509 1547 86%
28 Oregon 523 524 499 1546 54%
29 Vermont 519 521 506 1546 66%
30 Arizona 519 525 500 1544 25%
31 Connecticut 509 514 513 1536 84%
32 Alaska 518 515 491 1524 48%
33 West Virginia 515 507 500 1522 16%
34 Virginia 512 512 497 1521 67%
35 California 501 516 500 1517 50%
36 New Jersey 495 514 497 1506 76%
37 Maryland 501 506 495 1502 70%
38 North Carolina 497 511 477 1485 63%
39 Rhode Island 494 495 488 1477 67%
40 Indiana 494 505 477 1476 64%
41 Florida 496 498 479 1473 59%
42 Pennsylvania 492 501 480 1473 71%
43 Nevada 496 501 473 1470 43%
44 Delaware 493 495 481 1469 71%
45 Texas 484 505 473 1462 53%
46 New York 484 499 478 1461 85%
47 Hawaii 483 505 470 1458 58%
48 Georgia 488 490 475 1453 74%
49 South Carolina 484 495 468 1447 66%
50 District of Columbia 474 464 466 1404 76%
51 Maine 468 467 454 1389 92%
Source: College Board

http://www.commonwealthfoundation.org/policyblog/detail/2010-sat-scores-by-state (formatting slightly changed, but not the data).

Again, I am not sure how much we can glean from this data, which has Wisconsin ranked #3, because there is only a 4% participation rate in Wisconsin for this test whereas Texas is 53%, Virginia 57%, North Carolina 63%, South Carolina 66% and Georgia 74%.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:42 pm
Profile WWW