Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 so the Dems & Obama says F U to the newly unemployed! 
Powered By Hate

Post Re: so the Dems & Obama says F U to the newly unemployed!
Krem wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Oh yeah, it's so easy to get a job now.

There does need to be a massive reform in the tax system, though.

It's not necessarily easy to get a job, but continuing unemployment payments reduces the incentive for an unemployed person to look for a lower paying job than they're used to or to relocate.

How many people actually want to be on unemployment rather than have a job? Especially with the stigma being unemployed or poor has.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:10 pm
Forum General

Tyler wrote:
Krem wrote:
Tyler wrote:

It's not necessarily easy to get a job, but continuing unemployment payments reduces the incentive for an unemployed person to look for a lower paying job than they're used to or to relocate.

How many people actually want to be on unemployment rather than have a job? Especially with the stigma being unemployed or poor has.

Alot of people. That is the problem. There ARE good hard working people who need help...i.e. Unemployment, but on the other hand there are many people who are just fine with collectiong their money and sitting on their ass not doing anything.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 pm
Forum General

Krem wrote:
Quote:
Well obviously you can afford to own a house on $35,000 a year because Many people were approved for a loan, making this annual salary.

Careful! That's how we got into this whole mess - people buying houses they couldn't afford and banks approving loans with lax credit standards!

$35,000 pre-tax a year should support around $800/mo housing payment (either rent or mortgage). That's a $80,000 house if you buy - in some areas prices like that don't even exist.

But maybe that's a good idea for you? Well there are hidden downsides. One of the worst things about owning a home is that you become much less mobile. That really starts to hurt when you lose a job - it becomes a catch-22, since you can't leave a house that you've invested in already and you can't find a job to afford that house.

I don't really want to go into the 'welfare queen' argument - it's a lightning rod for any real discussion on government handouts. I'm much more interested in macroeconomical effects of unemployment benefits - and they are not pretty

Well thats not really fair.It seems as if you are putting blame on someone for being a homeowner. If they lose their job, and happen to own their own home, then they "should have known better"...why? cause they dont have the luxary of moving to 12 different cities to try and find a job that is going to be either A) Mediocre, or B) less than what they were originally making?

Perhaps I am reading what you are saying incorrectly...

Also, I do think we should discuss the "welfare queen" argument, as it relates perfectly to people abusing governement handouts...don't you think? :-k

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:17 pm
Cream of the Crop

Tyler wrote:
Krem wrote:
Tyler wrote:

You're making an economic issue a personal one. There are some people who would never even apply for unemployment benefits, let alone collect them indefinitely, but from an economic perspective it is beyond doubt that unemployment benefits decrease incentive to look for work in general.

According to the study I linked to earlier, lengthening unemployment benefits accounted for 1.5% of the current unemployment rate - and that was done in March, before the multiple extensions to benefits.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum General

Krem wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Krem wrote:
Tyler wrote:

You're making an economic issue a personal one. There are some people who would never even apply for unemployment benefits, let alone collect them indefinitely, but from an economic perspective it is beyond doubt that unemployment benefits decrease incentive to look for work in general.

According to the study I linked to earlier, lengthening unemployment benefits accounted for 1.5% of the current unemployment rate - and that was done in March, before the multiple extensions to benefits.

So what do when say, 1 million people get laid off over the course of one year and they are making an average salary of $35,000? Are there going to be 1 million other jobs each of this people could obtain that quickly? Will they make the same amount of money before?

Look I dont think that one should just be able to live off of unemployment forever. But if you are laid off from a job, and are making the effort to find another job I dont see the problem.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:22 pm
Cream of the Crop

lovemerox wrote:

Well thats not really fair.It seems as if you are putting blame on someone for being a homeowner. If they lose their job, and happen to own their own home, then they "should have known better"...why? cause they dont have the luxary of moving to 12 different cities to try and find a job that is going to be either A) Mediocre, or B) less than what they were originally making?

Perhaps I am reading what you are saying incorrectly...

Well I don't want to blame anyone here, just highlighting the folly of the notion that everyone should own a house. No, not everyone should and for some people it's downright a bad idea. Yet in the U.S. owning a house is considered a part of the 'American Dream' and is actually encouraged by the government via mortgage interest deduction and various other incentives.

lovemerox wrote:
Also, I do think we should discuss the "welfare queen" argument, as it relates perfectly to people abusing governement handouts...don't you think? :-k

It's a very anecdotal argument, because every one of us knows both sides of the issue. We know some people who abuse benefits and others who really deserve them - so we can all argue back and forth about personal experiences. In reality, yes it's a problem, but probably not nearly as much as some people want to believe.

There are lots of other government handouts that get abused, but we don't talk about them nearly as much. For instance, anything related to defense spending.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile ICQ WWW