Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Obama says the Dems really know what they are doing!!!! 
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Obama says the Dems really know what they are doing!!!!
Guess I should reply to this ;)

Tyler wrote:
Not sure. Anyone here that does these studies for a living?

Ignorance is bliss indeed!

Krem wrote:
Oh yeah, I was clearly talking about all taxes.

What WERE you talking about then? If you're talking about any policy other than taxation, why the hell are you bringing it up in this discussion?

Krem wrote:
Best way to get cash?

Best way to get cash is to print more of it - coincidentally, the U.S. Government is the only agency authorized to print more U.S. dollars.

Taxing the top 2% more is NOT a good way to raise revenue long term, because the top 2% is the most volatile income bracket. It will be feast or famine for the treasury and will make long-term budget planning extremely difficult.

What we should REALLY be discussing is cutting spending - and not just discretionary spending, but entitlements too. Instead Obama created a new entitlement program - fantastic!
Tyler wrote:
Where's the top 2%? A less than 15%-looking (I hate tiny graphs like this) increase compared to the 50% increase for the 95 percentile doesn't count as stagnation? 15% over 30 years for the 50 percentile is pretty meager. When you go higher than 5%, it's even worse. 27 times to 300 times for executives, for example, since 1980. I fully blame the slash-taxes-for-the-rich-and-spend-wildly policies of Raygun.

You don't know what stagnation means my friend. And you miss the point (yet again!). The point is that ALL income categories have done better in real terms since the 60's. And yes, the rich have done better than the poor and the middle class, but EVERYONE has done better. That's something to be applauded, not ridiculed.

Tyler wrote:
And since you want to take in external factors, how about debt and loansharking or that the real inflation of necessities have outstripped the dollar's inflation?

Again, that is simply not true. The cost of necessities has gone DOWN in the last 40 years compared to the pace of inflation. That is exactly what I meant when I said that inflation for the poor is lower than for the rich. I'm sorry you can't wrap your head around it, but it's not that hard a concept.

As for "loansharking": to wit, poor people have access to credit now too! THE HORROR!

Tyler wrote:
A decrease in racial tension since the 60s? Technological and culture developments? Having a strong dictatorship? EI certainly has hurt Latin America. Chile's solid development (and probably less drug transport, and having a smaller population) from economic liberalization has kept it from looking like Brazil or Mexico, though if infrastructure starts decaying or it starts to fall behind its neighbors, this can change. The income inequality is already there. The smog in Santiago looks a bit less toxic than that of Cairo. What's to stop this from happening in America? We've got the income inequality that isn't stopping, plenty of people left behind by de-industrialization, overcrowded prisons, and a sturdy illicit materials culture. We just need the inequality to continue to increase and to be surpassed in average health, infrastructure and quality of life by former and current monarchies and authoritarian states. Oh wait, that's already happened in a few cases and the rest isn't far away. That the economy and energy squeeze will make the next twenty years very painful won't help.

This is so misinformed, I don't even know where to start. Look, you're contradicting yourself. If income inequality is increasing wouldn't by your logic racial tensions also increase? Wouldn't culture and technology also take a hit?

But you're on the right track when it comes to Chile vs. Mexico and Brazil. Income inequality in the latter two are the symptom of a government controlled economy (something Brazil is fixing today). The income inequality in the U.S. is a symptom of meritocracy (although if we keep bailing out industries and letting the government take more control of the economy, we won't be that far off from Mexico). These are completely different issues. In the U.S. the rich get richer and the poor get richer - because market economy is a win-win game; in Latin America the rich get richer while the poor get poorer - BECAUSE OF GOVERNMENT POLICIES, which are win-lose at best and are lose-lose most of the time.

Let's not become a banana republic, OK?

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Cream of the Crop

Argos wrote:
I did say something.

No, you posted a message on a messageboard. That is a far cry from actually saying something.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I did both post a message on a messageboard and actually say something.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Say something is shorthand for saying something of value. What you posted had none.

On second thought, I am wrong; what you posted had negative value, since it was so incomprehensible, it actually made everyone reading it a little bit dumber.

Last edited by Krem on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:45 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
:)

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

let's get back to nico guys

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:01 pm
Powered By Hate

Krem wrote:
Not sure. Anyone here that does these studies for a living?

Ignorance is bliss indeed![/quote]

Your point was murky. Just what did you mean?

Krem wrote:
What WERE you talking about then? If you're talking about any policy other than taxation, why the hell are you bringing it up in this discussion?

By treating one tax as an extrapolation of all.

Krem wrote:
Taxing the top 2% more is NOT a good way to raise revenue long term, because the top 2% is the most volatile income bracket. It will be feast or famine for the treasury and will make long-term budget planning extremely difficult.

What we should REALLY be discussing is cutting spending - and not just discretionary spending, but entitlements too. Instead Obama created a new entitlement program - fantastic!

I'm fine with cutting spending. Problem is: a) where? b) it's not going to happen until something more catastrophic happens.

Krem wrote:
Again, that is simply not true. The cost of necessities has gone DOWN in the last 40 years compared to the pace of inflation. That is exactly what I meant when I said that inflation for the poor is lower than for the rich. I'm sorry you can't wrap your head around it, but it's not that hard a concept.

As for "loansharking": to wit, poor people have access to credit now too! THE HORROR!

The average wage has a bit more than doubled since '80. The cost of rent is 2.6 times higher, on the average. Buying a house costs 3.5 times more, on the average. Rent is about 2.6 times more, on the average. Beef and bread are like 5 times more, on the average. Gas has actually been pretty level, a bit more than double.

I don't think most people fully understand their finances and debt or their implications, and that being exploited I do find insidious. The teaching of economics in the country is a joke, and I don't think it's coincidental.

Krem wrote:
This is so misinformed, I don't even know where to start. Look, you're contradicting yourself. If income inequality is increasing wouldn't by your logic racial tensions also increase? Wouldn't culture and technology also take a hit?

What? I said there are numerous factors, not always direct and not always black-and-white.

Quote:
But you're on the right track when it comes to Chile vs. Mexico and Brazil. Income inequality in the latter two are the symptom of a government controlled economy (something Brazil is fixing today). The income inequality in the U.S. is a symptom of meritocracy (although if we keep bailing out industries and letting the government take more control of the economy, we won't be that far off from Mexico). These are completely different issues. In the U.S. the rich get richer and the poor get richer - because market economy is a win-win game; in Latin America the rich get richer while the poor get poorer - BECAUSE OF GOVERNMENT POLICIES, which are win-lose at best and are lose-lose most of the time.

Has it not been well-established that America's social mobility has been eclipsed by much of Europe?

Brazil's possibly recovering for the long term, it'll be interesting to see. It is an increasingly free market, but they have also been installing plenty of government social projects. The Bolsa Familia project, for example. Of course, there has been pressure against it, as plenty think the poor are poor because they are terrible people.

The problem with the current bailouts is that they work within a system that is corrupt and unsustainable. We pretty much can both agree on this. Obama has sort of been stuck on this and realizes that: he can't (and perhaps, he doesn't want to) really reform a system that is just far too entrenched, but if all of it was bulldozed and built back up, the short-term would be a lot worse. And people aren't patient. I think we both agree that what is going on right now is totally fucked up and unfixable, until another economic catastrophe comes and sweeps whatever has been left standing out. And it's horrible to think more incredible suffering has to happen.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
The shift of income to the top has occurred in the most prosperous English-speaking nations, such as Australia, Britain, and Canada. But it has been most pronounced in the United States. Thirty years ago, the richest 1 percent of Americans got 9 percent of total national income. By 2007, they had 23 percent. Last year, new census data show, the rich-poor income gap was the widest on record.

Wealth is more unevenly distributed. The top 20 percent of wealth-holders own 84 percent of America's wealth. What's causing it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20101018/cm_csm/329606_1

Quote:
Do the Rich Really Pay Over a Third of Their
Income in Federal Income Taxes?

In 2006, the 400 highest-income Americans paid an effective rate of 17.2%

“This valuable data confirms what we already knew—that the very richest Americans are paying
much less of their income in tax than many would have us believe,” noted Citizens for Tax
Justice director Robert S. McIntyre. “These taxpayers are now paying lower effective tax rates
than at any time since the IRS began publishing these data in 1992—and the Bush
Administration’s capital gains tax cuts are the main culprit.”

http://www.ctj.org/pdf/irstop400.pdf

I skimmed through this and I have just one question. Does anyone know what the fuck they are writing? Tyler seems to have a grasp.

The US govt. is being bled dry by a bloated military industrial complex and a quasi-private healthcare industrial complex that is mostly subsidized by the federal, state, and local governments. Until those two massive sinkholes of tax money are addressed everything else amounts to a band-aid. The best band-aid would be to tax those with the most wealth, because the accrual of large sums of wealth in one individual is the most inefficent way to run an economy.

I find it odd how so many conservatives supposedly hate monopolies, but have no problem with richest 20% owning 84% of the country. Monopoly which was based on an earlier game called Finance, very simply but effectively shows the ultimate result of capitalism that is unregulated to restrain excessive wealth accumulation. A small percentage end up owning everything and the vast majority are basically broke. Wealth needs to be redistributed or a society will not improve. A correction will be inevitable, the only question is when.

We are whistling past the graveyard at the moment.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Well, clearly EVERYONE IS BENEFITING FROM THE SYSTEM.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

mdana wrote:

I find it odd how so many conservatives supposedly hate monopolies, but have no problem with richest 20% owning 84% of the country. Monopoly which was based on an earlier game called Finance, very simply but effectively shows the ultimate result of capitalism that is unregulated to restrain excessive wealth accumulation. A small percentage end up owning everything and the vast majority are basically broke. Wealth needs to be redistributed or a society will not improve. A correction will be inevitable, the only question is when.

We are whistling past the graveyard at the moment.

I wasn't aware that conservatives (or libertarians) hated monopolies. Some argue that they are inefficient but those same persons usually do not argue that the monopoly must be broken-up. In fact, they point out that monopolies tend to not last long and that monopolies, like Standard Oil, were actually losing market share by the time they were broken-up.

I find it interesting that you think "that the accrual of large sums of wealth in one individual is the most inefficent way to run an economy" and thus suggest having one giant entity take all of the wealth and redistribute it--as if that would magically be efficient.

I found this interesting, though it is a bit outdated.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:33 pm
Profile WWW