Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Financial Stability Plan 
A very honest-hearted fellow

Post Re: Financial Stability Plan
Tyler wrote:
Krem wrote:
Tyler wrote:
It's not about the budget, really. Ryan's a hack with his own ax to grind. Nobody's willing to do a drastic tax raise on the right people either. Or cut the defense budget by at least half while leaving Afghanistan.

No need to raise taxes if the spending is in check. And spending includes the myriad of deductions that reduce total tax collections.

The spending wasn't in check when it should have been in the last ten years and it won't be. It's a thoroughly starved beast that has been taken over by a sick, diseased system. And the people most responsible will and are usually getting away with it, if not profiting off of it.

Plus, it's not just taxes being raised, they're about to be cut (hugely for the wealthy, because I'm sure they'll use it to create jobs). Again. Great, that'll solve the deficit too. I almost wonder if it's deliberate sabotage by many, if not most.

I like Taibbi's description of him. Purple nurples in high school? Ha.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/bl ... s-20110407

Do you pay federal income taxes?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

The plan would make a tax hike for the middle class unavoidable.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:26 pm
Powered By Hate

Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Krem wrote:
Tyler wrote:
It's not about the budget, really. Ryan's a hack with his own ax to grind. Nobody's willing to do a drastic tax raise on the right people either. Or cut the defense budget by at least half while leaving Afghanistan.

No need to raise taxes if the spending is in check. And spending includes the myriad of deductions that reduce total tax collections.

The spending wasn't in check when it should have been in the last ten years and it won't be. It's a thoroughly starved beast that has been taken over by a sick, diseased system. And the people most responsible will and are usually getting away with it, if not profiting off of it.

Plus, it's not just taxes being raised, they're about to be cut (hugely for the wealthy, because I'm sure they'll use it to create jobs). Again. Great, that'll solve the deficit too. I almost wonder if it's deliberate sabotage by many, if not most.

I like Taibbi's description of him. Purple nurples in high school? Ha.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/bl ... s-20110407

Do you pay federal income taxes?

I didn't help sink the economy then get paid for it. You ever live in a Section 8 shithole in the 90s?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:27 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Tyler wrote:
I didn't help sink the economy then get paid for it. You ever live in a Section 8 shithole in the 90s?

No, but I cleaned one out that my family let after we were finally able to evict the tenants. It went from a nice starter home to a piece of shit that thankfully wasn't condemned for being a meth house. Pure anecdote, of course, as I am sure that most subsidized tenants are upstanding citizens.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Most are normal people with faults and pluses. Some are total assholes. It's kind of like interacting with real people.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 am
Extraordinary

My wife and I were on section 8 housing while I was in law school, as were most of the people in that apartment complex. It was a pretty nice place.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Krem wrote:
Mike's,*****AKA GROUCHO*****, cherry-picking facts it's hard to have a coherent argument on the issue.

I will say this: the stimulus has largely proven to be a failure. Yes, the economy is recovering, but it's in spite of the stimulus, not because of it - and it's recovering nowhere near the levels Obama's supersmart economic advisors said it would.

On the other hand, the Tea Party representatives has yet to prove itself as a serious force in budget debates. Unless large cuts in defense spending and largest subsidies are on the table, all this bickering over abortion funding and NPR is smokes and mirrors. Paul Ryan's budget is a start - but even he does not propose running a surplus any time soon. I don't like to predict doomsday scenarios, but unless EVERYONE is serious about cutting spending (including entitlement programs) we're in deep shit.

Also, Paul Krugman is a dishonest man.

LOL!!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:11 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

He's cherry picking facts because you know nothing about everything, Grill.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:18 pm
Forum General

Chippy wrote:
He's cherry picking facts because you know nothing about everything, Grill.

argue with Krem, Dip Sh*t, as he wrote it....

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:25 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I agree with Krem. Groucho IS cherry picking facts. Which I just said in my post that you quoted.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:32 pm
The Original

When Zoos and National Parks get closed......WILL THEY STIIL GIVE FOOD TO THE ANIMALS????
:noway:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:04 pm
Forum General

Hey Groucho, so now Obama has OK'ed cutting back on some things based on past overspending!!!!!

and Obama talking credit, blah blah blah...Obama says, we have to make tough choices and cuts to get this done.

WELL, IF YOU DIDN'T OVERSPEND IN THE PAST WITH ALL YOUR PAST PROGRAMS, WE WOULDN'T NEED THESE CUTS!!!!!

PLEASE RESIGN OBAMA, AS YOU AREN'T THE CURE, YOUR THE DISEASE!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

ok.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:06 am
Extraordinary

I just read this after a while and noticed the "cherry picking facts" comment.

Ok, Krem, I'll bite. Were my facts incorrect? No, of course not. Did I highlight the two most important factors people look at when discussing the economy? Yes, of course I did.

Now, did I list every single fact in the world? No, I didn't want to write a book on this Bulletin Board.

Which facts do you dispute? What would you have had me add?

Please note: If you can win an argument merely by saying "You are cherry picking facts" without offering any explanation as to why the facts presented do not represent a valid point and without offering counter facts, then I'd just like to say "You are cherry picking facts."

I win!

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Oh, and I should add that merely saying "The stimulus is a failure" and "Paul Krugman is dishonest" somehow does not convince me.

I think if I have to determine who to believe -- Krem or a Nobel Prize winning economist -- I won't have to consider too much.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Aww! Groucho thinks I'm a Nobel Prize winning economist! Thanks Groucho!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:58 pm
Devil's Advocate

Want to get freaked out?

http://www.marketskeptics.com/2009/03/h ... serve.html

That is the economic doomsday scenario that could come about of this debt and the skies are already greying. That article was written in 2009 and as far as I can tell things have gotten worse

The debt is not monopoly money. It's not a number that can just keep going up while it's shrugged off. It should've been treated like a working man's debt from the start.

I don't know what can be done at this point other than cancelling the unfunded Social Security and Medicare promises which won't happen

Mon May 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I say bring it on. This country was at its best when it had to rely on its domestic economy. What that article does not address is how rich we are in natural resources. Honestly, we don't need other countries to depend on. So what if we lose oil? We need to get off our addiction anyways, it will force us to look into alternative energies, which this whole world needs to do desperately NOW.

Would we get invaded by debt collectors? No, that's never happened, why would it happen now when full scale wars have proven to be very costly. I'm not Glenn Beck, I don't believe Murika is the only "moral" country on this planet.

Hyperinflation? It is only a temporary loss, history has proven that its affects only last a decade or so.

Economic collapse? Good, I'd say its about time for a new world order anyways.

Either way, I am more concerned about Fundamentalists revoking civil liberties in this new resurgence of theocratic conservatism that has been strengthening and falling and strengthening again over the past thirty years than I am about a worn out economic system.

Mon May 09, 2011 2:29 pm
Extraordinary

How about cutting all the trillions we give away to the oil companies in the form of "incentives"? When Exxon gets $50 million in "incentives" and shows a $300 million profit* they obviously don't need these "incentives" and then they just give their CEOs huge bonuses. That's OUR money. That's welfare on a grand scale.

* not sure of the exact numbers, but you get the point

Tue May 10, 2011 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9