Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich arrested 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich arrested
Image Who is candidate #3?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:27 pm
"no rank"

dolcevita wrote:
Image Who is candidate #3?

Emil Jones?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:31 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

This site http://jta.org/news/article/2008/12/09/1001437/blagojevichs-arrest-improve-chances-for-jewish-lawmaker (with no real facts) claims it is U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky.

#4 is one of the following: Dean Martinez, Bob Greenlee, or Louanner Peters.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Groucho wrote:
3. Blag is heard on tape calling Obama a motherfucker because Obama was refusing to see things his way as to how to choose a new Senator

He says, "[The Obama team] won't give me anything but appreciation. Fuck them."

I think that pretty much establishes that the Obama team was not involved in bribery or offering money for their pick to replace him.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
The 5th B-Sharp

I'm torn. One the one hand I think this man is an absolute moron for conduction this while he knows he's being investigated-on the other I almost have respect for the balls it would take to do it.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:50 pm
Extraordinary

Beeblebrox wrote:
Groucho wrote:
3. Blag is heard on tape calling Obama a motherfucker because Obama was refusing to see things his way as to how to choose a new Senator

I think that pretty much establishes that the Obama team was not involved in bribery or offering money for their pick to replace him.

The question isn't what Obama did now - - it's what he did to get his senate seat in the first place.

(Or does the whole Obama/Messiah mythos extend to an immaculate conception amidst the corrupt desert of Chicago politics?)

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:12 pm
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
Groucho wrote:

The question isn't what Obama did now - - it's what he did to get his senate seat in the first place.

(Or does the whole Obama/Messiah mythos extend to an immaculate conception amidst the corrupt desert of Chicago politics?)

No, the question is how can you make accusations without the tiniest shred of evidence and against all evidence we do have and be expected to be taken seriously at all?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Err... that wasn't an accusation, but rather a question - - but oops... I forgot, even questions about the Chosen One are forbidden.

Mustn't anger the disciples. :noangel:

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:39 pm
Extraordinary

Oh, give me a break.

The question is how many children Bradley has killed in his pedophelic rage.

Hey, don't get upset. That wasn't an accusation, but rather a question. :P

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Err... that wasn't an accusation, but rather a question - - but oops... I forgot, even questions about the Chosen One are forbidden.

I have a question. What brand of pantyhose does Bradley Witherberry wear when he's out at night as a cross-dressing prostitute?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Well try to sell a senate seat......not bad.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:59 am
Extraordinary

Groucho wrote:
Oh, give me a break.

Beeblebrox wrote:
I have a question. What brand of pantyhose does Bradley Witherberry wear when he's out at night as a cross-dressing prostitute?

Heh. As soon as I get these kind of responses, I know they're running scared - - I must be getting close... :yes:

(Remember kids: Never question what you're told! Accept the status quo and do exactly what's expected of you. The media is the truthteller.)

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:08 am
Extraordinary

Groucho wrote:
Oh, give me a break.

Beeblebrox wrote:

Heh. As soon as I get these kind of responses, I know they're running scared - - I must be getting close... :yes:

(Remember kids: Never question what you're told! Accept the status quo and do exactly what's expected of you. The media is the truthteller.)

:lol: :lol:

Well, if you think so. It must be nice in your own little reality!

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Beeblebrox wrote:

Heh. As soon as I get these kind of responses, I know they're running scared - - I must be getting close... :yes: [/quote]

I'll put it this way, I'm running scared by asking my question about as much as you're running scared by asking yours. ;)

Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
"no rank"

I don't see why any politican bothers to lie in this day and age. Nothing is off the record.

Rahm Emanuel Talk To Gov. Blagojevich about senate seat

Quote:
President-elect Barack Obama's incoming chief of staff Rahm Emanuel had a deeper involvement in pressing for a U.S. Senate seat appointment than previously reported, the Sun-Times has learned. Emanuel had direct discussions about the seat with Gov. Blagojevich, who is is accused of trying to auction it to the highest bidder.

Emanuel talked with the governor in the days following the Nov. 4 election and pressed early on for the appointment of Valerie Jarrett to the post, sources with knowledge of the conversations told the Sun-Times. There was no indication from sources that Emanuel brokered a deal, however.

A source with the Obama camp strongly denied Emanuel spoke with the governor directly about the seat, saying Emanuel only spoke with Blagojevich once recently to say he was taking the chief of staff post.

But sources with knowledge of the investigation said Blagojevich told his aides about the calls with Emanuel and sometimes gave them directions afterward. Sources said that early on, Emanuel pushed for the appointment of Jarrett to the governor and his staff and asked that it be done by a certain date.

At least some of the conversations between Emanuel and Blagojevich were likely caught on tape, sources said.

After Jarrett took herself out of the running in mid-November, Emanuel submitted a list of suitable names to the governor's camp that didn't include her name.

Emanuel, who has refused to comment on the issue, is not accused of wrongdoing.

In portions of conversations released in a criminal complaint against Blagojevich, he can be heard complaining that Obama wouldn't give anything in return for a Jarrett appointment.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:22 am
Extraordinary

...and this is unusual how? You really think politicians don't lobby to get people they want appointed?

The key is whether anything illegal was offered. Plainly it wasn't, based on the tape with Blago complaining about the fact that "that motherfucker Obama" would only give him "appreciation".

Sheesh.

You know, the more the Republicans try to make scandals where there are none, the less people are going to pay attention to them if one really does show up.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:58 am
Profile WWW
"no rank"

No one is saying its unsual. It's normal, regardless of party affiliation.

The problem is when you say you didn't have conversations and you really did. As a lawyer, I'm pretty sure you see that as a bit of an issue.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:06 am
Extraordinary

loyalfromlondon wrote:
No one is saying its unsual. It's normal, regardless of party affiliation.

The problem is when you say you didn't have conversations and you really did. As a lawyer, I'm pretty sure you see that as a bit of an issue.

Ah, true enough. Nothing illegal there but it doesn't make you look real honest.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Burris's career is over. No matter how much he wanted and/or deserved that seat (I don't know), being nominated by Rod and putting up such a public defense of the process is political anethema. He should have found a way to demur it to a different selection process and keep his hands clean. By the end of the week, he's going to look so unbecoming, and he had at least a couple decades of politics left in him.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:25 pm
All Star Poster

The problem regarding Burris is that, like it or not, Blago is still the governor and still has the right to appoint whoever he wants. That makes Burris a legit Senator, and I disagree with the posturing the Dem leadership is taking on this. Reid has no real grounds to keep him from being seated.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I agree. Has anyone in the Senate read Powell v. McCormack (one of the best Warren Court decisions)?

Art I, Sec 3, Cl. 5:
Quote:
No person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the age of thirty years, and been nine years a citizen of the United States and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state for which he shall be chosen.

17th Amendment:
Quote:
When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of each State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

What business does the Senate have in denying representation to the citizens of the State of Illinois, assuming that the Illinois Secretary of State is forced to sign on (he might not even have to sign if the legislature gave the governor the power)?

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Is it not, in part, the legislature of the state, however, that has been trying to deny him access to such powers (even if unsuccessfully), though?

Perhaps extrenuating circumstances. Any one of the previous 'clean' candidates could argue that this fiasco affected Rod's ability to make a decision. That he was forced due to the circumstances not to pick anyone who had been a big contender in the pre-scandal bid, and that this affected their chances, despite being favorite contendors through no fault of their own.

I also didn't say anything about legality, just that he is going to look aweful in the press and from now on will be associated with Rod (through no fault of his own) to the detriment of his future career. Even if he manages in a bit of an ugly public fight now to hold the seat, it will color his reputation to the point that he will be voted out when he tries to hold on to the position when it comes down to election.

Its unfortunate for him, actually. He knows that if he ran a few years from now in a state-wide election his name might not have been big enough, but if he takes it now and in short defends Rod's validity and competency as an executive figure, he's stuck. Someone else is going to come out the champion in this the minute Burris's seat comes up for popular election. If he had turned it down, though, it might not have helped him either. He needed to find a way to frame his position outside of Rod's legitimacy if he was going to have any chance of looking good here.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:11 pm
Stanley Cup

Democrats are basically giving this seat to Republicans in 2010

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:57 pm
All Star Poster

dolcevita wrote:
He knows that if he ran a few years from now in a state-wide election his name might not have been big enough, but if he takes it now and in short defends Rod's validity and competency as an executive figure, he's stuck.

Burris is 71. I doubt his future career has played much of a role in anyone's decision making.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Blago has been impeached by a vote of 114-1.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next