Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Hillary Clinton Should Be President NOT Obama 
Veteran

Post Re: Hillary Clinton Should Be President NOT Obama
I loved both of your long posts Dolce.

I think there is much merit to the Dean and Obama anti-war positions, being cost free. Obama was from a very safe Illinois seat in 2002. He wasn't not an actual US Senator. It is akin to comparing George Brett and Clint Hurdle in 1978. Brett had a bad year for him and there were many KC fans and sportswriters stating he was going to be better than Brett. Never mind that Hurdle was an outfielder and Brett was a 3rd baseman making Brett much more valuable in terms of defense.

Well in terms of competition and stress, Brett played against major league competition, Hurdle played against Triple A competition. I think that is a valid comparison to Obama being in the Illinois legislature. It is one thing to hit a homer off a guy who is never going to make the major leagues, it is quite another to hit three homers off a Hall of Famer in a League Championship Game (before steroids). You could compare Brett to John Mayberry, because they faced the same pitchers usually right after each other. Comparing Hurdle to Brett was a bit more difficult and for all of Hurdle's promise, he couldn't cut in the majors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bre ... aseball%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Hurdle

See the thing is since entering the US Senate, Obama hasn't been anymore anti-war than Clinton. Actually he has supported the Bush administration on some funding issues most progressives and Clinton have not. People change when they get to Washington, they try to play to the center, they try to appear "tough", etc. It's a false comparision what people do outside of the ring or the field.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Beeblebrox wrote:
mdana wrote:
I supported Jerry Brown, because I thought Clinton was not ready.

Hindsight being what it is, I would say you were wrong about that, just as I think you are wrong about Obama now. As groucho says, if age and experience are your criteria, then McCain is your candidate. If being a governor is your criteria, then Romney is your candidate.

Quote:
I just think there is too much unrealistic optimism coming from his campaign.

If it's about the optimism that he can win, I hardly think it's unrealistic. He and Hillary are virtually deadlocked in delegates - and Obama has more than held his own against the Clinton campaign's attacks. He polls ahead of her against McCain. Her negatives are much higher than Obama's.

If it's optimism about what he can get done as president, then I don't think anyone can be that certain about either of them, with neither of them having held executive office before. I do know that Hillary was astonishingly wrong on Iraq while Obama was right. I know that Hillary will face a much more hostile Congress than Obama will, as the Republicans will be much more united against her - although it's possible that could work in her favor.

I must also admit that I'm against the dynasty thing. Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton. I just don't like it. I 'm glad that Dubya has completely obliterated Jeb's chances of ever becoming president.

When did I state my only criteria, strawman much?

Go look at Clinton's first term, and tell me in what ways was his inexperience not a hinderance. I ended up voting for him in the GE, but he would have been a better President as he got older.

Good thing to know that you fall for media crap, just like everyone else, in relation to the dynasty red herring. Never heard it in 2000 or 1980 when a the third freakin' Kennedy decided what the country needed was another son of Joe to reside in the White House.

Polls-Clinton was in third place in 1992, Dukakis was 20pts up in 1988. Polls this far out are meaningless, and this year polls have been extremely unreliable.

Obama will get about as much done as Carter. Dems don't get a fair shake from fellow Dems or from the media.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Beeblebrox wrote:
mdana wrote:
http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh110807.shtml

That wasn't exactly a counter-argument. The poster said that Obama had never accomplished anything but then failed to list Clinton's accomplishment as a counter-point. Your post doesn't even address that. I do agree with Bill about the trivial matters - which is why his Rovian tactics last month were so distasteful and disheartening, along with the media's harping on Clinton's cleavage and Edwards's hair.

But I think we are discussing issues and that's a good thing.

In terms of credentials and experience, I'd have to call it a draw. I think guys like BKB are wholly dishonest both about Clinton's years of experience and Obama's lack of it (reducing Obama's Senate term to just 1 year but while adding 1 year to Clinton's AND counting her years as first lady).

The fact is that both have served in elected office or in some capacity as public servants for a number of years.

WTF?? BKB was talking about media bias, what are you referring? He was talking about the double standard.

We are not talking about the issues, that is just media BS. What are their stances on the EU, defense spending, medicare entitlements, rebuilding infrastructure, etc? The debates never touch on these subjects, no matter how much Wolf promises, "we will delve into these topics and more." So many Americans can't think for themselves, they take their cue from others on how to "think" about an issue.

The US is slowly becoming a second rate power like the UK around the turn of the century, because we support a military grossly outsized compared to our ten biggest competitors. Yet, we can't have universal health care. Truman fought for this 60 years ago and the world has passed us by in this metric. Neither Dem candiate can even make the case that universal healthcare will make us more competive with the EU and other industrialized countries, because it will lower our healthcare costs. Except American exceptionalism can never be questioned by a major party candidate. Dean did and they marginalized him ASAP.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Quote:
which is why his Rovian tactics last month were so distasteful and disheartening,
-Bee

Please respond to this allegation, with actual statements and action that were "Rovian" and not media framing devices. I have read so much BS about the Clintons the last month that had no resemblence to reality. The fact that so many supposedly reality-based Dems fell for this garbage, doesn't make me too hopeful that the Dems have learned much the past 8 years.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3