Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Wisconsin Protests 

Who do you side with?
The Republicans because the budget is out of control. 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
The Republicans because I dislike public sector unions. 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
The Democrats because the rich can afford more taxes 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
The Democrats because teachers secure the future of our children. 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
The Democrats because the Republicans are union busting 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Wisconsin Protests 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Wisconsin Protests
Krem wrote:
Your point would be valid if the rich didn't already pay the vast majority of the taxes in this country.

Depends on how you look at it. Does most money come from the rich? Well, DUH, that makes sense, doesn't it?

Instead, look at the % paid by the rich as opposed to the poor. Take out all the loopholes they can use and see how they compare. You'll find that the rich might pay slightly more % wise, but they can deal with it easier. 10% of a $50,000 income can really make it difficult to pay your bills, but 15% of a 1,000,000 income and there's no worry about losing your home or putting food on the table.

And compared to just about every other country on Earth, our taxes are amazingly small.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Groucho wrote:
Krem wrote:
Your point would be valid if the rich didn't already pay the vast majority of the taxes in this country.

Depends on how you look at it. Does most money come from the rich? Well, DUH, that makes sense, doesn't it?

Instead, look at the % paid by the rich as opposed to the poor. Take out all the loopholes they can use and see how they compare. You'll find that the rich might pay slightly more % wise, but they can deal with it easier. 10% of a $50,000 income can really make it difficult to pay your bills, but 15% of a 1,000,000 income and there's no worry about losing your home or putting food on the table.

Nobody pays 15% on a $1,000,000 income due to AMT, but that's a separate point.

In your original point you were saying that if the rich are better off, then they should pay more in taxes. Well, surprise, they do. By a wide margin. Then you turn around and say that they should pay even more. Why? Because somehow that would make things more fair. How much more? Anyone's guess.

Mike, that is classic class warfare rhetoric. Personally, I would love for everyone to pay less in taxes, not more. And yes, I would love to get rid of the myriad of tax exemptions too - they're nothing more than social engineering attempts by the government. Unfortunately in a democracy people can vote more money for themselves - all the way to financial ruin - something that we saw take place just a few months ago in Greece.

Quote:
And compared to just about every other country on Earth, our taxes are amazingly small.

That's not really true, but if it were, it would be fantastic.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Powered By Hate

I agree, class warfare through government means doesn't exist in this country. Rocket dockets are a lefty lie.

I'm being glib of course, but the banks in this country...

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:57 pm
Extraordinary

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Look, if there is any class warfare in America, the rich have already won.

And I know whose side I am on.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Well isn't that convenient.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:29 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Powered By Hate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8OIl9t9hjk

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:40 pm
Cream of the Crop

It's a sure sign of a meaningful debate when cartoons and punk rock music substitute for actual thoughts.

Have a good day, gentlemen.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Extraordinary

Aw, Krem, don't cry. Just because we disagree with you. You can still have your opinion.

It's OK. It's very admirable of you to stand up for the over-privileged like that. I mean, if you don't look out for their numerous homes, fancy cars, and weekends in Bermuda, who will? I'm sure your heart just bleeds when you worry about their incredible tax burden. Why, if people like me had their way, they might have to lay off one of the maids! The horror!

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

Krem wrote:
Tony, I don't think anybody's arguing that your wife is not doing her job well, but the problem that people have with teachers is how incredibly stubborn their unions are. Every day we have to hear stories about teachers committing unethical behavior and outright crimes yet remaining on the jobs due to the unions' power. In the meantime the good teachers, such as your wife, are not able to be recognized via merit promotions due to incredibly backwards seniority rules.

Until the teachers' unions reform to allow for common sense in public education you will see attacks on teachers unions coming from taxpayers. And, yes, sometimes it will spill over to individuals, as unfortunate as that is.

I can only talk from personal experience, but I would question whether teachers have more incompetent workers or ones committing crimes than any other profession.

And, again, I can only talk from personal experience, but I know of both tenured and non-tenured teachers that have been let go due to performance issues.

I think it's an exaggeration to suggest that it is a more protected or coddled profession than would be typical. It is also an exaggeration to suggest that the teacher's union is some powerful body that protects every bad teacher.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:23 pm
Powered By Hate

Krem wrote:
It's a sure sign of a meaningful debate when cartoons and punk rock music substitute for actual thoughts.

Have a good day, gentlemen.

What, don't like the Dead Kennedys? C'mon mang.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 pm
Powered By Hate

So, what should we do with the Wall Street guys that tanked the economy? Let's appropriate more power for them and let them restart another shitstorm cycle. But don't tax them. God no.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:47 pm
Powered By Hate

Hmm: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/32492604.html

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:35 pm
Extraordinary

From another board...

Quote:
We can't rescind wall street bonuses, because they were part of previously agreed-on contracts!

We can break previously agreed-on union contracts, because everyone's got to share the pain, right?

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:56 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
From another board...

Quote:
We can't rescind wall street bonuses, because they were part of previously agreed-on contracts!

We can break previously agreed-on union contracts, because everyone's got to share the pain, right?

What contract will be broken? The law would limit collective bargaining rights mainly to wages (and even that would be narrow) and it will apply to future and not current contracts.

Besides, states have to follow the United States Constitution:

Quote:
No State shall enter ... any ... Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts ... .
Art. 1, § 10, Cl. 1. (Emphasis added).

Rational basis review applies when the state modifies a private contract. Where there is a contract with the state (like a CBA), an elevated level of review applies to all retroactive modifications by the state. However, this is an example of neither.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:40 pm
Profile WWW