Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Chronicles of Narnia 
Extraordinary

Post The Chronicles of Narnia
So I finally decided to read this classic fantasy series after getting tired of waiting for another movie. I'd read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian when their respective movies came out, as well as the Magician's Nephew (I don't remember that one and will have to reread it) and I attempted to read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Horse and His Boy, but they were both so boring. So I started Voyage again and finally got through it. I'm currently on The Silver Chair, which is very good so far. It will make a great film

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe- A+ The story is great, the writing is never boring here and it moves along briskly unlike the other Narnia books. It is easy to see why this is the most popular.

Prince Caspian- B- I read this one when the movie came out and wasn't nearly as impressed. It starts out really good and interesting, but the middle is really slow, and I only finished it because it was on the Reading Olympics list. The movie is a vast improvement, though there were obviously many great ideas here

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- C+ This is easily the worst of the Narnia books I have read so far. It doesn't really feel like there is anything at stake since there is no real villain. And the series of unrelated island encounters becomes really tiresome after awhile. The part with the slavers was absolute torture to get through. The parts with the Dufflepuds and dragon Eustace were entertaining, but it was not enough to make up for the slogging rest of the story. The movie is worse

The Silver Chair- I'm only on Chapter 5, but so far, this one is great. Really gripping. Seems like the Green Lady/Serpent will be a good villain; and it will make a great movie when they get around to it.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:20 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia
The Silver Chair got a little long winded after they killed the Queen, but this should be a movie ASAP.

Now onto The Horse and His Boy. This one looks like a chore.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:34 pm
The Wall

I like The Magician's Nephew the most.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

_axiom wrote:
I like The Magician's Nephew the most.

I'll read that one next before I finally get to The Last Battle.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]