Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Fantasy Series - A Song of Ice and Fire 
Site Owner

Post Fantasy Series - A Song of Ice and Fire
Anyone else besides me read this series?

I just got into it this summer and am eagerly awaiting the next book. Was curious if anyone else reads it, and if so, do you favor some characters over others as strongly as I do?

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:08 am
Profile WWW
I think it's easily the greatest fantasy ever written. Started The Feast for Crows some time ago, but haven't continued reading, lack of time I guess. :-/

Have to fix that.

Anyway, I have a soft spot for Tyrion and Mance Rayder, though I think every character is written beautifully.

Neostorm and MadGez are also fans of this masterpiece.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:40 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Jamie Lannister, Tyrion, and I really like The Hound. Cant stand that fat bastard Samwell Tarly. Overall, the series is great and I should reread it again.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

I love this series. I like Jon Snow and Arya the most. Though Cersei and Tyrion are great as well :D I'm slowly starting to like Jaime as well. I have read half of feast for crows. I hope to finish the other half soon.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

You bet Eagle - I thank the guys above constantly for getting me into the series (read their reviews).

Im halfway through Storm of Swords at the monent (though I bought Feast when it came out). Im a slow reader (hard finding time as i prefer reading at night).

Favourite characters...hmm... I like Tyrion and Jon Snow the most. I guess Im warming to Jaime too. I think Tyrion is one of the best written characters ever.

Without giving any Spoilers away - what do you guys think of Feast for Crows? Does the fact that not all the characters are present effect the enjoyment? How does it hold up after Storm of Swords? Thanks

I suspect Dance of Dragons should be released early next year sometime.

Frost/Nixon A
Sumdog Millionaire A
Vicky Christina Barcelona A
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button A

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:36 pm
Site Owner

There are a few characters that I didn't really connect with, Brieane and Cersie (sp?) being the main two. But there have been characters I felt like that about in each of the books.

I hated Sasha's character at first, but have grown to like her more and more during Feast for Crows. Daenerys, Jon Snow and Arya are probably my three favorite characters. Though I have a feeling Bran will displace Jon Snow in the next book. I really like Bran, but need him to grow up and quit being a little kid before I can really enjoy his character.

In Feast for Crows I really warmed to Jaime, him and Arya easily became my two favorite characters of the book. I really started to enjoy Sam's character as well. I liked the novel, and can't wait for the next one. Dance of Dragons was supposed to be released this year, but the author's house is being renovated and it is messing with his writing. Hopefully in the first quarter of next year it will be released.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:08 am
Profile WWW

Finally read Feast for Crows, and kicking myself not reading it before. But then again, it's shorter wait for Dance of Dragons now. :-)

A bit dissapointed though with FfC, not by writting, or style...but by how events unfold. Especially after I was most interested in Brianne's chapters, which led to quite unsatisfying end of them for me. Almost as a waste of her great chapters...Might be premature though, as it finished with a cliffhanger, but the wait for new events in book after DoD will be painful. Well, that goes actually for all events, as DoD is same timeframe as FfC, but different characters. Wait of 5 years I guess lol.

Also was annoyed by how easily events turned out to be for Cersei (concerning Margaery), but atleast, some nice twist at the end of that one. And that prophecy she had...umm, don't like it. Too bad it's so obvious to us that it's about Daenerys not Margaery. Or is it? ;) Anyway, not a fan of prophecies in any shape or form, in any novel, movie, series.

Jamie's and single chapters of particular other characters were also quite interesting, have to say same for Sansa's and Sam's, but also have to say that Arya's, for me, were quite uninteresting. Actually never was a fan of (then) spoilers about where she'll end up, and what she'll become.

Good thing that much of things we learn in FfC is actually hearsay, so still hoping that Sandor and Gregor Clegane, as well as Ser Davos aren't really...gone. Hey, I'm still hoping the same for dead-for-sure Benjen and Eddard Stark (for Benjen you could make some excuse, but how the hell to do it for headless Eddard?? Oh, will find the way. ;)).

Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Eagle and Nebs - have read flashes of both your posts in fear of reading spoliers as Ive just started on Feast for Crows. I fear i'l probably have a similar response to you guys. Since my last post - ive read Storm of Swords and I have to say - one of the best books ever! Stunning! So I guess Feast was going to be a letdown no matter what.

BTW - purchases Dreamsongs: A GRRM RRetrospective the other night. Its full of his short stories in one volume - including The Hedge Knight.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreamsongs-GRRM ... 02-9811803

Can't wait to read it leading up to Dance with Dragons.

Frost/Nixon A
Sumdog Millionaire A

Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:50 pm
Site Owner

This series just got picked up by flipping HBO!

They plan to make a year worth of episodes out of the plot in each novel.

God help me I love you HBO.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:16 am
Profile WWW

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=20253
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=18457

I'll hate it most likely. :D

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:06 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Now how do I get HBO....

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

George has teased us with this news all week and wow - finally!!! HBO is the best place for this series (Sopranos. The Wire, Deadwood, Entourage, Rome, Carnivale etc).

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Offcourse - it will have to be really good for all of us to love it and not pick faults but who cares. I just hope it doesnt take too much of GRM's time or else - it will take a long time before we see the last two books in the series.

Frost/Nixon A
Sumdog Millionaire A

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:47 pm
Site Owner

Well, he was just in the midst of a 6 week break where all he did was write Dance of Dragons. He said that he hoped to have the book ready to send to publishers by January ... if that was true then the next book should be out in 2007, the one following around 2009 and the final book should be ready by 2011 or 2012 ... the series, assuming it starts in 2008, would be in it's third year at this point.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Well Dance has a tentative UK/Aust release date of Oct 1st. It could be out even earlier - we are all just waiting on GRRM to post something in his Ice and Fire blog which he promised to do in early Oct. I presume he will anounce something in the next week or so. If he can mantain the 2 year gaps - then those dates you mention are looking likely. The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring (aka Time for Wolves) will revert back to the all characters in the one book form of the first three novels.

I just cant stop thinking about what great news we have heard today!!

Frost/Nixon A
Sumdog Millionaire A

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:57 pm
Iron Man

Great series but I'm waiting for the whole series come out before I begin it again.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Great series but I'm waiting for the whole series come out before I begin it again.

Could be a while. Hopefully Martin can speed things up. Doesnt look like we'll see Dragons till the end of the year at the earliest and then you need another 4 tp 6 years before both Winds of Winter and A Time for Spring are released.

But atleast we have the HBPO series to look forward for too.

Frost/Nixon A
Sumdog Millionaire A

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:44 am
Site Owner

I really think the HBO series will help keep him on track.

He did a unrelated novel in between, but I really think he will get back on track and start banging out the fantasy!

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Hopefully. Im sure HBO would like to have some foresight to where the story is heading. So perhaps that will reign him in. Im hoping he anounces that Dragons is complete by mid year. He said that he will no longer comment on the book on his website until it is finished.

I guess after that the big thing will be casting news for the series.

BTW - im still stuck halfway through Feast.

Frost/Nixon A
Sumdog Millionaire A

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:35 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Does anyone here have any new info on the miniseries or the next book (Martin being fairly cranky)?

Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Does anyone here have any new info on the miniseries or the next book (Martin being fairly cranky)?

The HBO series has only been optioned so its still not guaranteed. However most likely if it sees production - will go into casting later this year or early next year and debut in 2009.

As for A Dance With Dragons - yeah Martin has been very slow with it. He has now admitted that he wont have it finished in time for WorldCon in Japan in September and has even indicated he may miss WorldCon as he has to finish the book. I think he is nearly there - just needs to wrap it up. The biggest problem is that he disregarded the planned 5 year gap after Swords and released half a story in A Feast For Crows. This is making Dance all the more difficult. I think once he does finish Dance - Book 6 - Winds of Winter will be easier to write and hopefully he can churn it out like he did with Book 3.

Frost/Nixon A
Sumdog Millionaire A

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:23 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Fantasy Series - A Song of Ice and Fire
Feast for Crows sure was disappointing. Did we really need a billion new characters? Most of them were lame. Cersei was the worst of all, though technically not a 'new' character. Jaime was the best character again. Sansa was the only other interesting one imo.

The first 3 books were excellent. Storm of Swords is my favorite thus far. GRRM needs to hurry the fuck up with Dance with Dragons :mad: .

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:14 pm
All Star Poster

I bought Feast when it came out and have still not read it all :oops: I read about half of it in 3 weeks and have not opened it again... I should seriously read it but I just wasn't into this one.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Flava'd‡ wrote:
Feast for Crows sure was disappointing. Did we really need a billion new characters? Most of them were lame. Cersei was the worst of all, though technically not a 'new' character. Jaime was the best character again. Sansa was the only other interesting one imo.

The first 3 books were excellent. Storm of Swords is my favorite thus far. GRRM needs to hurry the fuck up with Dance with Dragons :mad: .

Neostorm wrote:
I bought Feast when it came out and have still not read it all :oops: I read about half of it in 3 weeks and have not opened it again... I should seriously read it but I just wasn't into this one.

It is the weakest of the books and the first half was a tough slog - but the second half is indeed better and easier to get through. Do read it as you'll appreciate it more by the end. Having said that its not in the same league as Storm of Swords or the first two. I blame that on the whole idea of cutting the book in two. Dance should be better. Feast does fill in gaps and does expand the Westeros universe - introducing us to the Greyjoys and the Martells. They will play a bigger part in seeking out Dany in the next book.

Flava - Jaime was the best for me too - but I didnt mind Cersei's chapters at all. I found Brienne's the hardest to get through however. Atleast all bar her last chapter ;)

That said - cant wait for Dance where we will get Tyrion (yes!!), Jon, Dany, Davos, Bran, some more Arya, Asha Greyjoy and newbie Quinten Martell. We will also get a retired POV make a come back.....any guesses who??

Frost/Nixon A
Sumdog Millionaire A

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:29 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

This is a cute fanmade trailer for A song of Ice and Fire made from snippets from other films. See how many movies you can pick out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szQ-ZhVxZSU

Frost/Nixon A
Sumdog Millionaire A

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:42 am
The Kramer

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

looks like Fall at earliest :pinch:

Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next