Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 am



Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 My novels 
Author Message
Squee

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:01 pm
Posts: 13270
Location: Yuppieville
Post 
Groucho wrote:
OK the paperback is now available... follow the links!

http://michaelaventrella.com

If any of you folks get it and like it, I would appreciate reviews posted!

Thanks!


Only if we like it, huh? :tongue:

_________________
Setting most people on fire is wrong.
Proud Founder of the "Community of Squee."

:glare:


Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post 
Squeeks wrote:
Groucho wrote:
OK the paperback is now available... follow the links!

http://michaelaventrella.com

If any of you folks get it and like it, I would appreciate reviews posted!

Thanks!


Only if we like it, huh? :tongue:


What, do you think I'm stupid? I don't want bad reviews! :hahaha:

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:56 am
Posts: 30505
Location: Tonight ... YOU!
Post 
Mike

the quote that you have on the main page, comes off as a run on sentence.


Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:53 pm
Posts: 4630
Post 
Yeah it kind of does...makes the summary seem too muddled and almost confusing because it's harder to read with so many commas...Short, suspenseful sentences would probably be more effective in gaining interest in the main plot.


Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:29 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post 
french man wrote:
Yeah it kind of does...makes the summary seem too muddled and almost confusing because it's harder to read with so many commas...Short, suspenseful sentences would probably be more effective in gaining interest in the main plot.


I blame my publisher, but I will redo it so it reads better!

Hope all of you nice people who are saying these compliments actually buy the bugger and read it... :biggrin:

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:56 am
Posts: 30505
Location: Tonight ... YOU!
Post 
Groucho wrote:
french man wrote:
Yeah it kind of does...makes the summary seem too muddled and almost confusing because it's harder to read with so many commas...Short, suspenseful sentences would probably be more effective in gaining interest in the main plot.


I blame my publisher, but I will redo it so it reads better!

Hope all of you nice people who are saying these compliments actually buy the bugger and read it... :biggrin:


i was planning to but now, i have a question. it says it takes place in an existing world. umm ... what is this world and how confused will i be if i try reading it.


Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post 
Thw Kwik-E-Mart Guy wrote:
Groucho wrote:
french man wrote:
Yeah it kind of does...makes the summary seem too muddled and almost confusing because it's harder to read with so many commas...Short, suspenseful sentences would probably be more effective in gaining interest in the main plot.


I blame my publisher, but I will redo it so it reads better!

Hope all of you nice people who are saying these compliments actually buy the bugger and read it... :biggrin:


i was planning to but now, i have a question. it says it takes place in an existing world. umm ... what is this world and how confused will i be if i try reading it.


If you are confused, then I have failed.

When I submitted it to my publisher, they had no idea that it was based on a fictional world I had previously created, and they had no problem. My editor had no problem, and people who do not play the game it is based on have had no problem, so I can't imagine anyone else will!

I should perhaps emphasize that point on the web page...

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:56 am
Posts: 30505
Location: Tonight ... YOU!
Post 
yes. i think its important to make sure that people don't think you've written a novel as an independant writer for another universe that already exists. like people write novels for the warcraft universe. if i'm not familiar with the game, i have no interest in reading the book.

however, this being your universe and one of the first novels, then it shouldn't be a problem at all.


Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:23 am
Posts: 13347
Post 
I think the quote on the page gives away too much of the plot, especially the second sentence, and that you're better off giving a brief over view that gives a sense of the universe and a gist of the plot without actual plot points.

You also might want to have a little fun and say something like: "At least one reviewer thinks it's better than eating bees!" But that's me, I'd be prone to silliness like that.


Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:23 am
Posts: 13347
Post 
Groucho wrote:
Thw Kwik-E-Mart Guy wrote:
Groucho wrote:
french man wrote:
Yeah it kind of does...makes the summary seem too muddled and almost confusing because it's harder to read with so many commas...Short, suspenseful sentences would probably be more effective in gaining interest in the main plot.


I blame my publisher, but I will redo it so it reads better!

Hope all of you nice people who are saying these compliments actually buy the bugger and read it... :biggrin:


i was planning to but now, i have a question. it says it takes place in an existing world. umm ... what is this world and how confused will i be if i try reading it.


If you are confused, then I have failed.

When I submitted it to my publisher, they had no idea that it was based on a fictional world I had previously created, and they had no problem. My editor had no problem, and people who do not play the game it is based on have had no problem, so I can't imagine anyone else will!

I should perhaps emphasize that point on the web page...
Yeah probably best not to mention it. In fact I thought I had read you say that it was based on a game, and so I was thinking it was fanfiction modified to be more stand alone. But I see now I got the wrong impression and others might too.

I wonder if it's possible somehow to get amazon to carry your book. Like if just flat out asking them to might work.


Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post 
Archie Gates wrote:
I think the quote on the page gives away too much of the plot, especially the second sentence, and that you're better off giving a brief over view that gives a sense of the universe and a gist of the plot without actual plot points.


Hmmm. Well, that plot point that is mentioned happens in chapter 3, pretty early on, so it's not giving away that much, really...

The problem is that it is difficult to view your own creations objectively. I'd love it if some of you would read it and then give ideas as to how to better emphasize what the book is about to encourage others to read it.

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post 
Archie Gates wrote:
Yeah probably best not to mention it. In fact I thought I had read you say that it was based on a game, and so I was thinking it was fanfiction modified to be more stand alone. But I see now I got the wrong impression and others might too.

I wonder if it's possible somehow to get amazon to carry your book. Like if just flat out asking them to might work.


Amazon will carry the book; the problem is that my publisher doesn't give a discount, meaning Amazon will have to like double the cost of the book. No one will want to pay $40 for a paperback.

Other authors are complaining now about it as well, and the publisher is looking at a way to make it feasible. Like I said, it's a small time publishing house... it's better than self publishing, but not by much apparently!

As for the descriptions of the game books, I have added comments that say that you do not need to read te game books to enjoy Arch Enemies. Tell me what you think.

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:56 am
Posts: 30505
Location: Tonight ... YOU!
Post 
groucho

i think instead of handing out more instructions (no need to read this book or that), i think you should just cut some information out. it looks like you're trying to cover all bases which makes it slightly amatuerish.

What I think you should do instead is make an FAQ section. I was reading your biography on the website too and it was overly long .... like you were obsessed about people knowing you.


Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post 
Thw Kwik-E-Mart Guy wrote:
groucho

i think instead of handing out more instructions (no need to read this book or that), i think you should just cut some information out. it looks like you're trying to cover all bases which makes it slightly amatuerish.

What I think you should do instead is make an FAQ section. I was reading your biography on the website too and it was overly long .... like you were obsessed about people knowing you.


Perhaps you'e right. I'm new at all this!

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:00 pm
Posts: 5868
Post 
How long is the book?

_________________
Image


Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:44 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post 
insomniacdude wrote:
How long is the book?


About 115,000 words.

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:53 pm
Posts: 4630
Post 
I agree with the crowd that thought it was based on an existed world like a World of Warcraft thing. Turned me off a little I'll admit, but now that I know you made it up, much more interesting. Maybe you should stress that point.


Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:13 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post 
french man wrote:
I agree with the crowd that thought it was based on an existed world like a World of Warcraft thing. Turned me off a little I'll admit, but now that I know you made it up, much more interesting. Maybe you should stress that point.


What I did instead is take off any reference to the world of the game in the descriptions of the other books. If you now go to the "books" page at http://www.michaelaventrella.com it doesn't say anything about the game books being related to the fiction. Perhaps that's best.

In the afterword of the book, after you've read it, it tells you about that. I would much rather have people read "Arch Enemies" first and then say "Hey, that was cool, maybe I'll check out the game."

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:56 am
Posts: 30505
Location: Tonight ... YOU!
Post Re: My novel (now available in paperback)
mike

is this only available as an e-book?


Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:47 pm
Posts: 19650
Post Re: My novel (now available in paperback)
Take that James Berardinelli! You got your novel published while he was forced to put his online for free. :thumbsup:


Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post Re: My novel (now available in paperback)
bABA wrote:
mike

is this only available as an e-book?


No, if you want the paperback you click on the icon to the right that says "paperback" -- here's a direct link:

http://www.lulu.com/content/1019595

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Online
KJ's Leading Pundit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 60133
Location: Tonight... YOU!
Post Re: My novel (now available in paperback)
TWENTY THREE DOLLARS?!

THAT'S HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!

:noway:

_________________
trixster wrote:
shut the fuck up zwackerm, you're out of your fucking element

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct


Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 11849
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Post Re: My novel (now available in paperback)
Cthulhu wrote:
TWENTY THREE DOLLARS?!

THAT'S HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!

:noway:



yeah, I know (sigh). I wish it was cheaper. :mer:

_________________
Buy my books! http://michaelaventrella.com


Image


Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Online
KJ's Leading Pundit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 60133
Location: Tonight... YOU!
Post Re: My novel (now available in paperback)
I may buy the online version though... It's tempting...

_________________
trixster wrote:
shut the fuck up zwackerm, you're out of your fucking element

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct


Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Profile
Commander and Chef

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:56 am
Posts: 30505
Location: Tonight ... YOU!
Post Re: My novel (now available in paperback)
Groucho wrote:
bABA wrote:
mike

is this only available as an e-book?


No, if you want the paperback you click on the icon to the right that says "paperback" -- here's a direct link:

http://www.lulu.com/content/1019595" target="_blank


ouch

i was about to buy it when i saw 5.99

23 is a bit much for me at the moment.


Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.