Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
 What Book Are You Reading Right Now? 
Killing With Kindness

Post Re: What Book Are You Reading Right Now?
"Mistborn" (Mistborn Book 1) A-
"The Well of Ascension" (Mistborn Book 2) B
"The Hero of Ages" (Mistborn Book 3) B-

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I'm seeing a trend there.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Us v Them

Dostojewskij - "Demons"

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:25 am
now we know

Just read Back Story: A Memoir by David Mitchell. Best book I've ever read.

Now reading Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:27 am
Extraordinary

Currently re reading A Game of Thrones and re reading Deathly Hallows to prepare for Cursed Child,

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 pm
now we know

Total Recall is a really interesting book. To hear it from Arnold's own experiences is great and adds a new angle to what I know of his life. What's great is that I feel I know Arnold better than he knows himself sometimes, so what he is attempting to portray is often a guise and as a lifelong fan I can pick up on this in his writing. He is, obviously, at times portraying himself in such a positive light, but it's clear to see that everything is not so positive. He treated his family pretty badly in that he basically neglected them, and did not attend his brother's funeral or his father's, and pretty much left his mum to deal with it on her own while he was overly focused on his career (he does touch on that, but he has a way of ending things on a positive so the reader does not think too badly of him. Well, not me.). Either way, it's a fantastic read. More of an inspirational read than a humorous one (which my previous book, David Mitchell's Back Story, was). I like it a lot. It will probably be my favourite book ever when I finish it, or at least in the top three.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:12 am
now we know

One thing I quite dislike about Arnold's book is that he keeps referring to "Europeans" as a collective that all do the same things and act the same. He should be saying "Germans" or "Austrians" (or not grouping at all would be better!). I consider myself a European, and when he says stuff like "Europeans are not very welcoming and don't send thank-you notes, but Americans do", I can't help this he is misrepresenting millions and millions of people and cultural heritage. He is basically just kissing American asses because they allowed him to make a fortune.

I also dislike how he is selective with his filmography. No mention of The Long Goodbye or Scavenger Hunt. But there is also lots of great insight into Pumping Iron, his side businesses, and his relationship with Maria, Joe Weider, and a few mentions of Stallone so far (only read up to 1979), so it's not all bad. Actually, it's a great book, and I am loving reading it.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:05 pm
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
One thing I quite dislike about Arnold's book is that he keeps referring to "Europeans" as a collective that all do the same things and act the same. He should be saying "Germans" or "Austrians" (or not grouping at all would be better!). I consider myself a European, and when he says stuff like "Europeans are not very welcoming and don't send thank-you notes, but Americans do", I can't help this he is misrepresenting millions and millions of people and cultural heritage. He is basically just kissing American asses because they allowed him to make a fortune.

I also dislike how he is selective with his filmography. No mention of The Long Goodbye or Scavenger Hunt. But there is also lots of great insight into Pumping Iron, his side businesses, and his relationship with Maria, Joe Weider, and a few mentions of Stallone so far (only read up to 1979), so it's not all bad. Actually, it's a great book, and I am loving reading it.

I did a book report on an Arnold for German class freshman year. He was really strange.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:15 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
I did a book report on an Arnold for German class freshman year. He was really strange.

Which Arnold?

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:22 pm
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Which Arnold?

Schwarzenegger

Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:50 am
now we know

Ok.

I don't think he is really strange. He is a natural born winner. A success story. I think he is an inspiration.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:20 am
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
Ok.

I don't think he is really strange. He is a natural born winner. A success story. I think he is an inspiration.

Yes, but it seemed his only interest was bodybuilding. I don't know anyone who in high school body built to that degree.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:41 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

One can be an inspiration and also very strange.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:49 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
Algren wrote:
Ok.

Yes, but it seemed his only interest was bodybuilding. I don't know anyone who in high school body built to that degree.

Read his autobiography, dude. You'll see that his only interest was not bodybuilding. That was just his world, his launchpad, so to speak.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:10 pm
You must have big rats

Reading Nicholas Pileggi's "Wiseguy" (basis for Scorsese's Goodfellas).

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Is that a novel?

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:54 pm
You must have big rats

No, a nonfiction book detailling the experiences of Henry Hill in the mafia (Ray Liotta's character from Goodfellas).

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Nice.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:20 am
now we know

So I'm nearing the end of Schwarzenegger's Total Recall, and it has been a great book. A fascinating read, but being the fan I am, not that much of what I was reading did I not know. Don't get me wrong, I loved reading about his entry into the political arena, his businesses, his relationship with Maria, and his early bodybuilding days, but Arnold to most people is a movie star. I wanted to know more about his movies. There are a few mentions of what happened on sets such as Conan the Barbarian, The Terminator, and Twins (his successful/important films), but he leaps over 3-4 years sometimes with just one paragraph. Films like Raw Deal, Red Heat, and Commando don't get much of a look in. And a lot of the book is what he was feeling at certain times and how that all had a knock-on effect later in life. A lot is about linking memories from his past to his accomplishments in America. Whereas I was hoping for more of a number-crunching expose. I want to know salaries, grosses, budgets, his financials, his purchases, his wins, his losses, and some real great anecdotes (or dirt). He goes into it somewhat, but I guess I wanted more. Much more! He also doesn't appear to mention his illegitimate child (not yet anyway), and he doesn't mention his 80s competition/feud with Stallone, or films such as Dave, Beretta's Island, The Long Goodbye, or Scavenger Hunt. I would have liked to have seen his reason for taking such roles. And his directing work does not get one single mention. He just completely ignores things in his life that didn't go to plan, unless they were too big to ignore (such as his heart surgery or Last Action Hero flopping). And Batman & Robin doesn't get a look in (apart from when talking about his heart surgery - but nothing to do with being approached, actually filming it, and working out the contract etc.). The same applies to Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. And Jingle All The Way.

Which means that the most interesting part for me was the time in his life when he was in Munich or when he enters the USA up until around the mid-80s. The huge middle section of the book was engrossing. The political stuff is good, but as I have no idea about the US political system, it's tough for me to keep reading the terminology and remain interested page after page after page.

So Total Recall is my second favourite book ever. Still a great book. There is just nothing that beats autobiographies. Arnold's life could so easily fill up 2,000 pages. Now THAT's the autobiography I want to read. ;)

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:32 am
Extraordinary

Over halfway done The Girl on the Train. Very good so far.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:48 pm
now we know

Ok, so I've finished Total Recall. Great book. He did eventually mention his illegitimate child. The book up until his political career is very good. Then it takes a less interesting turn into politics. It's not terrible to read about his governorship, but it takes up far too much time, and everything is turned into a huge success story. There is a laugh out loud anecdote near the end about a letter he wrote to a guy that heckled him at an event.

But anyway, I can safely add that to the short list of books that I can actually remember reading. Here is my ranking:

1. Back Story: A Memoir by David Mitchell
2. Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger
3. Stallone: A Life on Film by Adrian Wright
4. Demolition Man by Richard Osbourne

I can only remember actually fully reading four books (not including junior novelisations such as Horrible Histories or Judge Dredd: A Junior Novelisation). I mean, I have started to read many others; read up to half-way of I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action before my enthusiasm passed and I stopped (but that's the next book I will read) and I've read lots of Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III and started First Blood, and I've read much of many books for school such as Great Expectations, Northern Lights, and Beowulf, but only read four books cover-to-cover. The thing is that I believe that I don't value fiction in book form. I see it as an incredible waste of time to read stories that are not real when there are thousands of true stories out there where you might actually learn something. It takes such a lot of time to read a book (as opposed to watching a film), so I choose very carefully, and a story from someone else's imagination isn't something that interests me.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:09 am
now we know

I am now reading I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action. It's good so far, and I remember a lot of it from when I read up to nearly half of it years ago, but it is nice to reread it now I am in South China/Hong Kong (where his youth is based).

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 pm
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
The thing is that I believe that I don't value fiction in book form. I see it as an incredible waste of time to read stories that are not real when there are thousands of true stories out there where you might actually learn something. It takes such a lot of time to read a book (as opposed to watching a film), so I choose very carefully, and a story from someone else's imagination isn't something that interests me.

But fiction in book form can be infinitely more complex and detailed with more developed characters than a movie can. TV can approach it though.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:10 pm
Extraordinary

I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Sunday. It was good, but it didn't feel like part of the Harry Potter universe.

Spoiler: show
Good god, Voldemort and Bellatrix would not have a fucking kid.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:11 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
But fiction in book form can be infinitely more complex and detailed with more developed characters than a movie can. TV can approach it though.

But that's going away from what I desire. I don't wish to learn more about characters that are just made up. I don't wish to learn more about stories that never took place. It's all just bullshit. And my reward for knowing that bullshit is to lose weeks of my life. Whereas with a movie, it's just two hours, and it's a medium that I love.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next