Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Gray Man - Netflix’s first $200M budgeted film 
The Kramer

Post The Gray Man - Netflix’s first $200M budgeted film
It’s an action spy-thriller directed by the Russos. Starring Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans. Fuck yeah.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:15 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Gray Man - Netflix’s first $200M budgeted film
It will do well but don't think Russos have become instantly famous because of Avengers.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:25 pm
Extraordinary

... I don't know why films premiering on Netflix turns me off so much lol. I guess they just don't feel eventful.

Will watch though of course.

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:29 pm
New Server, Same X

publicenemy#1 wrote:
... I don't know why films premiering on Netflix turns me off so much lol. I guess they just don't feel eventful.

Will watch though of course.

I feel the same. I think we've been conditioned and told for so long to believe that movies only matter and make money if they're theatrically released. DTV has always been the crap no one would put in a theatre, and though Netflix movies aren't DTV, it feels like "Well, if I can watch this at home and don't need to go to a theatre for it, it can't be that big of a deal".

I assume anyone young enough to not know VHS or what it was like to go to a store and rent a movie won't care how they see their movies. Anyone older, movies were an event, and if it wasn't a process to see it, it couldn't be that significant.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

There are people from older generation specially in OS markets that didn't have access to theaters or all these movies in the past. That's also one of the reasons Netflix works better in OS markets.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:20 pm
Veteran

I just tried re-reading Gray Man but couldn’t get through the first 30 pages. A lot of ‘wait, you’re sending 3 men to kill the Gray Man? better send 10.’ Simplistic writing. Nothing poetic about it.

Now, I love Mark Greaney’s Tom Clancy books (he was one of the authors who took over the Jack Ryan franchise after Tom Clancy’s death) and I believe this was his first book. I’m sure the sequels are better. Also, this book will definitely translate well to the big...small screen. It’s similar to Bourne/Wick.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:04 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The Russos are the epitome of competent mediocrity so the non-descript title and predictable casting choices are right on brand, and yet this title/description/casting seems like the work of a moneyed upstart trying to imitate Hollywood but not quite getting it right. It's like uncanny valley but for movies, like most of what Netflix puts out.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:23 pm
On autopilot for the summer

My only problem with Netflix film's is I think the editing never gets fine tuned to as it would theatrically. My reviews have almost always had that thought, too many scenes get left in, or the tone isn't there yet, or the film doesn't get enough prep in the script phase.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:03 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its all about good makers. Movies that are made by good directors/writers shine regardless of them being available through streaming or theatrically.

Though I do agree with Barrabas about Russos, outside of MCU they haven't done anything great and I believe MCU is more controlled by Fiege so it gives their movies that cushion.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:31 pm
Veteran

Yes, I firmly believe what makes the MCU movies so great is their group of writers/producers behind the scenes who are shaping these movies. The directors are not allowed to do their own thing. Fingers crossed that the Russo brothers will pull this off. I wasn't impressed with the book but there's definitely opportunity to make it great cinematically.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]