Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 What if the chains go under? 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post What if the chains go under?
Let's say Tenet doesn't come out in July, now causing another big move from other movies. This could potentially cause some big chains to file bankruptcy, etc.

What happens then? Do smaller chains/one offs start popping up more? Do studios buy up those now empty theaters? Do studios just go strictly VOD until something is resolved?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 21, 2020 7:48 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: What if the chains go under?
Think studios will buy theaters. Wasn't there a new rule last year that supported studios buying theater chains?

Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

They could certainly be bought out, either by film studios or other capable ($) companies. Disney or Warner Bros. would be likely to jump on this I think.

In Japan, the vast majority of theaters are owned and operated by film studios or other major companies. It's possible that fewer than 10% of the country's theaters are independent.

Toho Studios, Japan's largest film distributor, owns and operates Toho Cinemas, the second largest (but busiest) theater chain in the country. Aeon Co. (a very large supermarket/shopping mall company) operates Aeon Cinemas, the largest theater chain in the country. And Shochiku, another movie studio, operates the SMT cinema chain. Combined, Toho and Aeon operate around 65-70% of the country's theaters, and when combined with Shochiku, that figure is around 75-80%.

Warner Bros. actually operated Aeon Cinemas (known then as Warner Mycal) until they sold their stake to Aeon Co. in 2012.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Welp... the worst possible news.

Amazon is considering buying AMC.

IMO, this would be so bad. Would this lead to all the streaming services buying theaters? Kill me.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

That would indeed be the worst news ever. As big as amazon as a company is them being a strong presence in streaming and VOD makes this worst possible news. If this really happens the theatrical window will shrink for sure.

I thought after the fued Universal would be the best company to revenge buy AMC :P

Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 pm
The Kramer

If AMC sells to Amazon you can bet Google will immediately be in the market for Regal. I don’t know if these are even good purchases by them though. Whole foods was a smart buy because it opened up their grocery delivery service. Theaters seem more like a “well we have a bunch of money and nothing to do with it” type of investment ala the Fire Phone.

Wed May 27, 2020 3:11 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Who would've thought the history of box office would've ended just after the largest opening weekend of all time.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 28, 2020 3:38 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agreed something like Endgame this year would have been helpful. As much as I want to see this year's big movies in theaters they are not big enough movies to get the push needed from general audience.

Thu May 28, 2020 7:03 pm
The Kramer

Disney over stacking 2019 now seems like one of their better ideas in history. Coincidence or plandemic???

Fri May 29, 2020 12:22 pm
100% That Bitch

Cinema as we know it is dead at peaked in 2019.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:42 pm
Veteran

Mau wrote:
Cinema as we know it is dead at peaked in 2019.

How appropriate that the biggest movie of 2019 was Endgame.

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I do think Cameron's Avatar next year could be a game change in terms of bringing people back to theaters. I also saw an article few days back that the crew has flied back to NZ (a corona free country) and are under quarantine after which production will resume, so I think they will make that date next year.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:16 pm
Veteran

Assuming we get a vaccine late this year or early next then Fast and Furious or any of the delayed releases could reinvigorate the boxoffice well before Dec 2021. Hopefully.

I can see Bond and other Fall 2020 blockbuster releases getting delayed to next spring if Tenet/Mulan flop.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:33 pm
Veteran

We’ll see theaters increase in tandem with the opening back up of the economies. 500 added theaters then 1000 then 1500 then 2000.

Private equity will be behind many of the restored theaters.

It will be a slow recovery through 2021-2022

Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

After 1918 flu pandemic came the roaring 20s. There could be a rebound if all 2020 is doing is making people want to live in as non-2020 way as possible after this.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]