Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Who is the most overrated director? 
now we know

Post Who is the most overrated director?
My vote is Oliver Stone.

Thu May 09, 2019 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Who is the most overrated director?
Not Stone

George Lucas

Thu May 09, 2019 1:21 am
Hold the door!

Alejandro Innaritu. Birdman and The Revenant suck. And I've not heard much good about Babel.

I also think Nolan is very overrated. His movies for the most part are good not great, IMO. The Dark Knight is the only super impressive movie I've seen by him.

Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 am
Pure Phase

Pedro Almodóvar and Jim Jarmusch are two acclaimed directors whose films have rarely massively resonated with me. Which is not to say I do not enjoy several of their movies, but relative to their indie-film statures, I feel comfortable calling them overrated.

In a more commercial vein, I find Rob Marshall quite mediocre for an Oscar-nominated director consistently handed hot properties (Chicago, Nine, the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean, Into the Woods). Though I enjoyed Mary Poppins Returns.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 pm
Devil's Advocate

Not saying I've seen all his films. But I don't really get the Miyazaki thing. Spirited Away had nice animation but I didn't care much for the storyline, and My Neighbour Totoro was just a basic kids movie for me

Mon May 13, 2019 10:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

zwackerm wrote:
Alejandro Innaritu. Birdman and The Revenant suck. And I've not heard much good about Babel.

It sucks

Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 pm
now we know

I enjoyed Babel.

Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Innaritu hate is all over the internet. I don't support it.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue May 14, 2019 1:20 am
Cream of the Crop

Where was all the Inarritu hate when I needed it most, about 12 years ago? I felt all alone; well almost, because Heinrich Himmler also disliked him almost as strongly as I dislike Der Meineidbauer (1940). Nowadays I simple don't care about Inarritu; there's worse ones.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Tue May 14, 2019 2:14 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

GuybrushX McMurphy wrote:
Where was all the Inarritu hate when I needed it most, about 12 years ago? I felt all alone; well almost, because Heinrich Himmler also disliked him almost as strongly as I dislike Der Meineidbauer (1940). Nowadays I simple don't care about Inarritu; there's worse ones.

Like who...?

I've got no beef with Inarritu, I thought Birdman and Revenant were both superb. Never saw Babel. On the other hand, I find almost all of del Toro's movies overrated, especially Shape of Water and Hellboy II. Pan's Labyrinth was great but not the second coming.

The director that I can't get out of my mind when considering the topic: Spielberg. Seriously, his resume the last 10-15 years is awful. What happened, man?

Tue May 14, 2019 5:28 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Eastwood

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue May 14, 2019 5:37 pm
Cream of the Crop

Steve wrote:
Like who...?

Assholes like Paul W.S. Anderson, Zack Snyder and James Wan for instance.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Tue May 14, 2019 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Steve wrote:
GuybrushX McMurphy wrote:

Like who...?

I've got no beef with Inarritu, I thought Birdman and Revenant were both superb. Never saw Babel. On the other hand, I find almost all of del Toro's movies overrated, especially Shape of Water and Hellboy II. Pan's Labyrinth was great but not the second coming.

The director that I can't get out of my mind when considering the topic: Spielberg. Seriously, his resume the last 10-15 years is awful. What happened, man?

Agree completely on del Toro.

Spielberg - over the last 15 years - yes hasnt been a great period for him but I thought The Post was very good. Munich is his last great film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue May 14, 2019 10:13 pm
Forum General

Chippy wrote:
Eastwood

Good one.

Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Birdman is a masterful! Love that movie

Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 pm
now we know

Spielberg is hit and miss. Not just in the last 15 years. He's always been that way. He'll make a great film like Jaws then a shit one like Close Encounters of the Third Kind. This trend happens all throughout his career. Raiders, then E.T. Saving Private Ryan then Artificial Intelligence. War of the Worlds then Munich, which spurred the downfall of his career with a ton of mediocrity like Crystal Skull (not just his worst movie but one of the worst movies ever made), Ready Player One, The BFG, and loads of movies I still haven't seen because of how lame they look.

But I am not sure I can call him overrated. He has made some of the biggest and best movies ever made. The fact they are not in the last 15 years doesn't make much difference to me. He is a competent visionary film director able to lend his craft across genres, and he will always produce top quality films. Occasionally he will make a stinker but with the same frequency he will make a gem.

Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
Spielberg is hit and miss. Not just in the last 15 years. He's always been that way. He'll make a great film like Jaws then a shit one like Close Encounters of the Third Kind. This trend happens all throughout his career. Raiders, then E.T. Saving Private Ryan then Artificial Intelligence. War of the Worlds then Munich, which spurred the downfall of his career with a ton of mediocrity like Crystal Skull (not just his worst movie but one of the worst movies ever made), Ready Player One, The BFG, and loads of movies I still haven't seen because of how lame they look.

But I am not sure I can call him overrated. He has made some of the biggest and best movies ever made. The fact they are not in the last 15 years doesn't make much difference to me. He is a competent visionary film director able to lend his craft across genres, and he will always produce top quality films. Occasionally he will make a stinker but with the same frequency he will make a gem.

I disagree with all the movies you listed as misfires: Close Encounters, E.T., A.I., Munich, all excellent. NOTHING he's made since Munich touches anything from the first 25 years of his career. So I agree while his status as a director on the whole can't really be called "overrated," his current status as "visionary director [who] will always produce top quality films" is hugely FALSE, hence me finding him incredibly overrated. Currently. Nowadays. Ja'feel?

Clint Eastwood's a good one too.

Thu May 16, 2019 3:34 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Ridley Scott. He's been 3/15 since Gladiator. The rest are all autopilot or worse.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu May 16, 2019 4:42 pm

Post 90s Ridley Scott and Oliver Stone for sure. But, when you break it down, Stone was never that great to begin with; he just landed some quality scripts.

Jiffy wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Eastwood

Good one.

:blink:

Unforgiven, Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby are all masterpieces. Gran Torino is decent enough. Haven't seen his war flicks, but it's hardly like he's ever sunk as much as Stone has.

What makes Stone come across more like a fuckwit, is that interview he did with Vladimir Putin, where he was presented as this dominant and powerful Director-Great in the lead-up marketing, and ended up asking questions about as lame and pallid as he directed Snowden and (whatever it's called) that shithouse 911 flick he did. The guy should've quit while he was ahead.

Thu May 16, 2019 5:56 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

See? Overrated.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 16, 2019 6:39 pm
now we know

Ridley Scott is a good shout. He's made about three good films but it somehow highly respected and keeps getting good properties with good budgets.

Thu May 16, 2019 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Ridley Scott can be in the conversation, but I feel even if one's great films are only in the past that doesn't make them overrated.

Fri May 17, 2019 12:41 am
now we know

stuffp wrote:
Ridley Scott can be in the conversation, but I feel even if one's great films are only in the past that doesn't make them overrated.

Well, it's more about the overall average. If they're not making great films anymore but they're still making films, the average quality of their career goes down.

Fri May 17, 2019 1:01 am
Profile WWW

Chippy wrote:
See? Overrated.

Actually thought he was fairly underrated when I saw Mystic River and MDB, he was still better known as an actor at the time. A bit like with Ben Affleck - whom has a similar filmmaking aesthetic (and who's first three films as director should've well and truly burnt any dissent against him). Having not seen Unforgiven, MM was a huge surprise, and fuck your mother's ass with a pinecone if you think MDB is overrated by anyone. The last shot alone is better than anything Marvel will ever do, ever.

Sat May 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Also saw that Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil or whatever it's called before those ones, and that was kinda on the strange side, but still masterfully directed. Probably director and producer and writer are three very different things, and you can't tell that difference.

Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next