Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Why does the 2000 version of The Grinch suck so much? 
New Server, Same X

Post Why does the 2000 version of The Grinch suck so much?
I can make arguments that Christmas-themed movies such as Jingle All the Way, The Santa Clause and Surviving Christmas (yes, the Ben Affleck one) are modern Christmas classics, worthy of annual viewing, despite their shortcomings.

17 years after its release, I cannot make any arguments for Ron Howard's The Grinch (doesn't feel right to give it the full Seuss name). One of the popular criticisms is stretching the story into 100 minutes, making it feel overstuffed with unnecessary plot points (especially young Grinch), but I can't even criticize what they added to the original story. There's nothing wrong with any of the additions.

Jim Carrey gives what I think is a fine performance. Could someone better have improved the movie? Maybe. The Grinch of the TV special is a bit more melancholy and sinister, where Carrey just slips into zany madness.

One of my favorite comments remarks that the TV special is vibrant and full of color and life, whereas the movie is horribly drab. Whoville should be a place of joy, but honestly, the Grinch's home has more life to it. The whole thing looks and feels depressing. It's dystopian. It's hard to imagine any kid being entertained.

Why is this coming up now? I decided to give it another watch this year. And I know someone here must like the movie. Can anyone give me an argument why it's a good movie?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:20 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Why does the 2000 version of The Grinch suck so much?
I usually am not a Jim Carrey fan, but he’s the only good thing in this movie.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:17 pm
now we know

Ha Ha. You want someone to convince you it's a good film? That has never happened in the history of the Internet. If you think it's shit, you will still think it's shit even if every human alive gives you ten reasons why it's not.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to listen to an opposite opinion?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 am
now we know

Mister Ecks wrote:

Yeah, pull the other one. Your thread title does not give me the impression that you are open to differing opinions. Feels more like you just want to find people that agree with you. If you wanted to read the thoughts of people that like The Grinch, there's IMDB or even our very own The Grinch review thread where the film has 6 A grades and 6 B grades. There's your opposing opinions.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I know it's impossible for you to realize people can think differently than you and actually have an open mind, but I genuinely want to know if anyone here, in 2017 (not five, ten, fifteen years ago, when many reviews were written for it), feel differently about the movie than me.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:22 pm
now we know

Ha. Open mind, sure. That's why your thread is titled with a leading question. So open.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Algren wrote:
Mister Ecks wrote:
Yeah, pull the other one. Your thread title does not give me the impression that you are open to differing opinions. Feels more like you just want to find people that agree with you. If you wanted to read the thoughts of people that like The Grinch, there's IMDB or even our very own The Grinch review thread where the film has 6 A grades and 6 B grades. There's your opposing opinions.
Mister Ecks wrote:
I know it's impossible for you to realize people can think differently than you and actually have an open mind, but I genuinely want to know if anyone here, in 2017 (not five, ten, fifteen years ago, when many reviews were written for it), feel differently about the movie than me.
Algren caught you out this time Mister Ecks - accept the loss of this one battle graciously and proceed with fighting the war.

Algren wrote:
Ha. Open mind, sure. That's why your thread is titled with a leading question. So open.
Of course, Algren is never satisfied with a solid logical argument - he always has to bring the whole thing down a notch with a nyah-nyah last word post.

Last edited by tree and a half on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:07 am
now we know

That's where I feel comfortable...in that notch below victory. :P

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]