Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Warning signs that a movie will be terrible 
Extraordinary

Post Warning signs that a movie will be terrible
A good collection from Cracked today.

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_2468 ... -terrible/

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Warning signs that a movie will be terrible
Disagree with number 1, but the others are accurate.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:25 pm
Defeats all expectations

1,2,7,12,13,16 are good signs that a movie will be terrible.

"The biopic that no one asked for." Quite often a movie is not made just to please people. And many times a good movie is a creative work with original and thoughtful ideas that no one ever thought about or asked for.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:01 pm
Extraordinary

i.hope wrote:
1,2,7,12,13,16 are good signs that a movie will be terrible.

"The biopic that no one asked for." Quite often a movie is not made just to please people. And many times a good movie is a creative work with original and thoughtful ideas that no one ever thought about or asked for.

Yeah, that one doesn't make sense. Were people clamoring for a bio of Chuck Barris? Or the ladies of Hidden Figures? Had the films in the meme been good films no one would be complaining.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Is number 8 saying that the only animated films worth seeing are by Disney/Pixar? If so, that's so utterly ridiculous.

There is some truth to them all. Some more than others. For example, the January release date one used to be more true, but these days good films are released all year round.

The poster examples they used for number 14 are nowhere near the best examples for that.

And number 16 depends. Firstly, I have never seen any quotes by non-professional critics. But it also depends on who has seen the film prior to the poster/ad being printed. Perhaps if it was a test screening or something and they got good feedback so they want to drum up some buzz, then quotes by random people are acceptable. But as I said, I've never seen this as far as I am aware, so I am not sure of the circumstances where a studio would use randoms over critics or nothing at all. Surprised to see that BvS image there.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Algren wrote:
And number 16 depends. Firstly, I have never seen any quotes by non-professional critics. But it also depends on who has seen the film prior to the poster/ad being printed. Perhaps if it was a test screening or something and they got good feedback so they want to drum up some buzz, then quotes by random people are acceptable. But as I said, I've never seen this as far as I am aware, so I am not sure of the circumstances where a studio would use randoms over critics or nothing at all. Surprised to see that BvS image there.

Maybe it's just an American thing. Of course I can't think of any examples at the moment, but I remember a couple of TV commercials for movies where they used user reviews from Twitter. Batman vs. Superman might have been one of them. I think the others might have been horror films, which for might not actually be a bad idea for those types of movies.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]