Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 IMAX Declares War on 3D! 
Cream of the Crop

Post IMAX Declares War on 3D!

IMAX thinks it’s time to ditch the plastic glasses.

Quote:
Consumers have shown a strong preference for 2D,” Foster said on the call.

“We’re looking forward to playing fewer 3-D versions of films and more 2-D versions,” Foster added, mentioning that Warner Bros. “Blade Runner 2049” will be shown in 2-D exclusively at IMAX theaters when it opens in October.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:46 am
The Wall

Post Re: IMAX Declares War on 3D!
People declared war on 3D years ago.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Great news! I don't think anybody willingly goes to 3d movies anymore.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:42 pm
now we know

It was a fad that should be used only in special cases (like it was in the 80s and 90s). For the last 7 years or so every movie was in 3D, but we knew eventually the tide would turn back.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah only when 3D is done right should it be used.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:20 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Thank god. Blade Runner 2049 IMAX 2D here I come!

Deal with it James Cameron.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Cameron didn't force 3D, he made only one film. Its still a great medium if done well.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:20 am

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Cameron didn't force 3D, he made only one film. Its still a great medium if done well.

He didn't literally force it no, but he very strongly encouraged exhibitors to upgrade their rooms and projectors for 3D in the lead up to the release of Avatar.

I'm a really big James Cameron fan pre-Avatar. I love all of his work pre-Avatar. Avatar though to me was just very disappointing.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:59 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

There comes the personal bias! By the time Avatar was released there weren't enough 3D screens. Its not Cameron alone who runs the industry or movie business. If others couldn't follow what we started its still not his problem. He was trying to promote his movie through 3D just like Nolan does with IMAX, just because its cheaper and accessible option for filmmakers doesn't make later a better option or anyone of them better. People liked what they saw with Avatar and 3D but Cameron surely didn't force it down on an individual to see a movie in 3D.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Jack Sparrow wrote:
There comes the personal bias! By the time Avatar was released there weren't enough 3D screens. Its not Cameron alone who runs the industry or movie business. If others couldn't follow what we started its still not his problem. He was trying to promote his movie through 3D just like Nolan does with IMAX, just because its cheaper and accessible option for filmmakers doesn't make later a better option or anyone of them better. People liked what they saw with Avatar and 3D but Cameron surely didn't force it down on an individual to see a movie in 3D.

You can claim personal bias all you want. As a Cameron fan, I had closely followed the many meetings and discussions Cameron had with exhibitors.

Sure, there weren't enough screens. There's never enough screens. Nolan can never get enough 70mm IMAX projectors rolled out to IMAX screens for his films. That's besides the point.

You're making some really odd and highly defensive insinuation that Cameron did not exert a large influence on exhibitors. Without his influence and encouragement leading up to Avatar's release, there likely would have been virtually zero 3D screens ready when the film came out.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:32 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

You do realize that animation movies were played in 3D before Avatar came? I never was defensive here BTW. I am not saying that Avatar didn't pave ways to have more 3D screens or that Cameron didn't push 3D but the failure cannot be tied to his name alone. If rest of the industry couldn't use it the way it is meant to be used its not a single director's problem, there are many great 3D movies after Avatar as well but the ratio of cash grab conversions and piss-poor fake 3D's were much more that's why the format is sying. So I feel that statements like "Deal with it Cameron" are incorrect.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:55 am

Jack Sparrow wrote:
You do realize that animation movies were played in 3D before Avatar came? I never was defensive here BTW. I am not saying that Avatar didn't pave ways to have more 3D screens or that Cameron didn't push 3D but the failure cannot be tied to his name alone. If rest of the industry couldn't use it the way it is meant to be used its not a single director's problem, there are many great 3D movies after Avatar as well but the ratio of cash grab conversions and piss-poor fake 3D's were much more that's why the format is sying. So I feel that statements like "Deal with it Cameron" are incorrect.

Then you misunderstood my statements. I was not focusing on the failure of 3D. Yes much of that was the combined fault of studios and exhibitors. However a big part of that is there simply wasn't a huge amount of continued consumer interest.

My whole point here is that as a Cameron fan (pre-Avatar), I find his irrational love of 3D highly irritating. That's why seeing IMAX "stick it" to the whole 3D trend, and indirectly going against Cameron's hopes is satisfying to see.

Leading up to Avatar's release, and afterwords, Cameron had hoped that high quality 3D films (filmed in 3D), and high quality 3D screens would become a big trend. Except it became a trend, but not in the way he hoped. Low quality 3D films became common, and low quality 3D screens were almost everywhere. After a few years though, consumers started to shun 3D. Like it always has been since its invention decades ago, 3D film viewing is a fickle gimmick that has no true lasting power in cinema.

What also grated me about Avatar was that is was a very grandoise pet project with some vanity to it. It was a technical achievement yes, and a massive moneymaker, but in my eyes that doesn't change the fundamental nature of it. Pre-Avatar Cameron had an interest in 3D for quite a while. Instead of truly trying to make a great film along with technical achievements, with Avatar Cameron was hell-bent on achieving technical progress and admiration in the field of 3D, while the rest of movie was essentially secondary. Things like you know, the paper-thin script. The worst script ever for a Cameron film, in fact. Then with the coming Avatar sequels, Cameron is combining his huge passion of water and underwater exploration and incorporating that directly into the Avatar sequels. So more pet projects essentially. I wonder how thin those scripts are going to be.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:46 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

"IMAX 3D going away and Deal with it James Cameron" statement means that I understood it correctly you are just trying to patch things along now but nevermind my point still stays. Cameron didn't ask for poor quality 3D movie screens or investment, the whole industry and theaters saw a potential but the industry didn't evolve accordingly. IMAX 3D still is a great way of viewing movies and what you would qualify as "good" screens.

3D is not a gimmick, if used well it is a much better immersive experience than say IMAX or PLF screens but that comes for a personal preference and you are trying to put that entirely on Cameron. I don't care about how and what he did with Avatar and how good/bad the movie was here, but neither Avatar nor Cameron can alone be tied to 3D's success and failure.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:36 pm
Cream of the Crop

Jack Sparrow wrote:
3D is not a gimmick

Fixed that for you.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]