Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Slamma Jamma IMDb reviews. Yes, you'll want to read them. 
New Server, Same X

Post Slamma Jamma IMDb reviews. Yes, you'll want to read them.
Quote:
"I saw this today at a screening and I was left in tears. Extremely moving film - you will know when you see it. They're not marketing it right. It's not a 'slam dunk' movie, but a brilliant redemption story. I thought it was a jock's movie about basketball. It is not.

The story about a guy who loses everything is extremely compelling - the guy who played the lead actor is not only a great basketball player, but an extremely good actor! What a find.

This is quite simply a superb movie about faith, love, basketball (slam dunking) and what is really important in life. A must for everyone. The acting is really pretty good - there's no Tom Cruise here, but there is plenty of heart and soul from the entire cast!

Hard to believe a movie with this much drama, acting and pathos was created with only a one million dollar budget! It is not only entertaining and funny but didactic as well. Don't miss this one - do it for yourself - do it for God!"

"No Tom Cruise here, but..." might be my favorite back-handed compliment ever.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:47 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Slamma Jamma IMDb reviews. Yes, you'll want to read them
Quote:
This film is without a doubt my favourite faith film of all time. My friend invited me to a faith and friends premiere screening (Edit: !!!) and I was blown away.

Its funny, sad, emotional, moving and inspiring and I would recommend it to everyone! :) The dunking is out of this world. Who are these guys?

With great actors and an amazing script this film is great to watch as a family or with friends.

As a teenager I found it helpful

If you haven't seen War Room I would highly recommend them as well.

If you enjoyed Porter Maberry. He's only 5'5 and showed the world he can dunk

As I said before I would recommend this to everyone and I think every teenager and father should watch it.

I'm giving it an 8 out of 10 only because I'm being honest. I've never given anything a '10'

Well sorry, Mister Critic. No 10s allowed.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:49 pm
New Server, Same X

Quote:
.....i can honestly relate to this movie. I am a female athlete and all through my high school years i've seen athletes get passed because they play sports. It's mostly the guys though. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that they had a female player who could 'hang'. This movie reminded me a lot of 'White Men' and it's simply the best basketball movie ever made (yes I'm talking to you 'he got game' fans) - The movie shows perfect detail of how someone can overcome hardship and make it. I went and saw it two nights in a row at special premieres and each time, i saw different things about the movie. It's a great movie and I think all coaches and teachers should see it........I LIKE MICHAEL DIGGS

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:51 pm
New Server, Same X

I know (hope) these are planted reviews. But the fact that anyone wrote these words makes my heart happy.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:51 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

on only a 1 million dollar budget! (I said, specifically, as to not draw attention to myself)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:52 pm
New Server, Same X

Quote:
We were so blessed to watch an early screening of the film yesterday. Undoubtedly the most powerful faith-based film this year. Please run, don't walk, to see this film when it opens March 24 - it will be in a theater near you

I was extremely impressed by this movie and I already expected it to be good based on the trailers. This story was told so beautifully and with so much heart. The actors were great, especially Michael Irvin who plays the hard-bitten sports agent - never knew he could act! I was impressed with the acting overall. Amazing since they're all slam-dunking champions!

'Slama Jama' provides an honest and realistic look at life and how putting God first can make a difference. If you are struggling with life this is a good movie to receive positive direction and hope that there is more than we can see that influences us each day. So many things in this movie are true to life...real situations for real people.

The plot is fantastic and the message is one of great importance, especially today. This is a film with a single purpose in mind: Redemption. I agree with the other posters in that this is the best sports, faith-based movie ever.

I can't believe bonafide slam-dunking champions could act too! Goddamn them for having all that talent!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:54 pm
New Server, Same X

Quote:
10+

So happy my hubby and I saw this before the rest of the nation!

SO HERE'S MY TWO SENSE:

The basketball choreography was very gripping and the slam dunks were amazing.

A fantastic movie and one that has a message to look up to! Very well written and directed. I found it was well done in the fact that it was professional but more importantly it meets people where they are at and brings forth challenges to be more like God in our lives! The acting was great, the plot generally unpredictable. It catches you by surprise (which holds your attention well).

God bless all the producers for bringing forth such a movie that has high standards and is a good contrast against the low moral standards of movies today. IT REALLY IS A BREATH OF FRESH AIR!

I bolded the best parts, but honestly, there are no bad parts about this one. Just my two sense.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:56 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'm only going for the slam dunks.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 pm
Wallflower

Mister Ecks wrote:
Quote:
Hard to believe a movie with this much drama, acting and pathos was created with only a one million dollar budget!

:funny:

Yeah, because normally you need tons of money for those things. I'm honestly surprised they were able to pay all of those great actors and make a movie for just one million dollars! They must have taken a serious pay cut. They were clearly just doing it for God and not the money.

I'm really expecting a 100% RT score for this. Sounds like a masterpiece based on those IMDB reviews.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:17 pm
---------

This is great work, X. Thank you for this.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 pm
New Server, Same X

OMG there's more.

Quote:
This film is absolute classic and should be watched by all people young and old.

For every fans of basketball like me, this movie is the best I have ever seen about it.

This is as close to a perfect film as you can get. You'll understand it only after you finish watching the movie in entirety. It's an excellent, gut-busting, in-your-face basketball story that has the courage to put God front and center - i understand it's inspired by life of Kenny Dobbs. God bless Mr. Dobbs.

Great on-court scenes and sharp-tongued wordplay between Michael Irvin and others keeps the movie on track. Definitely worth the time. Too bad it never helped spawn any sort of real-life dialog on faith in sports in this country.

Slam-dunk champion Chris Staples is simply amazing for a first-time actor (from what I gather) and he is hilarious, extremely likable, had fantastic chemistry with Brandon and Jeremy, and Jeremy or the actor playing Jeremy had an awesome character!, he was amazing. (Go!!!!!). Michael Irvin is fantastic here, he is very funny, likable, had fantastic chemistry with Staples and I loved his trash talking during the Basketball games!, he was awesome!. The mother is very good here. Rest of the cast do fine. Overall I highly recommend this one

And the ending, to me, seems the best way to end a picture where you think you know where this is going before opening credits are done. I specially enjoyed how accurately women-men relationships are pictured, and please, do not try to make issues out of the title. It's extremely catchy. If I had to choose a single best value from this movie I'd take that things are not what they seem.

Things are not what they seem. Specially the title. But those women-men relationships? Perfection.

"Rest of the cast do fine" has to be a heartbreaking backhanded compliment for the cast. Bad enough you're in Slamma Jamma, but you're no Michael Irvin.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:20 pm
New Server, Same X

Quote:
Chris Staples and Michael Irvin star in this sports comedy about a guy who leaves jail and goes through horrible events to win the slam dunk championship

It's an unbelievably good movie and that's why I'm writing this review. Especially after this movie critic attacked the film, smearing a wonderful movie. Everyone I went with loved the movie. It was a personal attack from another tribalist bigot who hates faith-based people. And they wonder why the world hates their guts.

The movie provides a lot to themes that deal with stereotypes like blacks superior talent in basketball and white being less athletic. Added to that,we also get to see Gentiles come into the picture with Tyrone's character of being a friend to Michael Digs .Overall,it was just more of a sports movie as it tries to show how much redemption plays a part in all our lives.

I'm glad Slamma Jamma has finally tackled that pesky sticking point for all whites that there's one sport we just can't dominate. That takes some balls.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:22 pm
New Server, Same X

Quote:
A movie that defines the idea of the underdogs rising to meet the challenge of greatness, Slamma gives the audience something to cheer for. A tough-as-nails ex-con with a heart of gold, a team of street dunkers of making it to the championship, a desperate mother pinning her hopes on her son's redemption - the movie has it all. It is well-paced, and is not overladen with side-plots and frivolities. There are no doped-up, foul-mouthed players, no need for gratuitous "party hearty" shots of the players behaving like hedonists or abusing their opponents. Some sports movies may trade in that stock and be considered "great" for it; this film doesn't and it's better for it. Superbly cast, superbly acted, and superbly executed. A worthy addition to the library of any sports film fan.

I can't anymore. I want to know who actually wrote all these, because they need to write everything.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:24 pm
New Server, Same X

Quote:
I'm rarely at a loss for words.....This movie is POWERFUL and life changing. As the other reviewer pointed out, you must see it to the end to really get the full meaning.

It is rare to have the lights come on after a movie has ended and people staying through the end credits and also seeing tears streaming down people's faces. Once this film was over, I was one of them. I'll be seeing Slamma Jama again, to pick up on some things that went by too quickly the first time. God bless the actors and crew for this contribution to humanity. Do yourself a tremendous favor and go see this film. You won't regret it.

I'm going out on a limb and assuming Slamma Jamma is not an intricate piece of art that requires multiple viewings to get every last detail and fact one might miss during previous attempts at consuming its sheer awesomeness.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:28 pm
Romosexual!

:noway: JESUS CHRIST!!!!

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:25 pm
New Server, Same X

I mean, I can't see an outcome to this where I don't watch Slamma Jamma. I'm sure it has slam dunked its way out of my local theatres, but I have to see it.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:53 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

:funny:

I am at loss of words. Just my two sense :funny:

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 pm
now we know

Just two senses?

My guesses are sight and touch, which would mean you are deaf, cannot smell, and cannot taste. Amirite?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

:funny: Exactly Algren, Exactly !! :funny:

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:17 am
Angels & Demons

Stop talking about the movie.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:58 am
New Server, Same X

Looks like someone doesn't live the slam dunk life.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 am
New Server, Same X

Guess who just renewed his interest in the miracle of Slamma Jamma and its incredible IMDb reviews?!

Quote:
a movie that has the American dream written all over, but it works anyway, and it shows what is the best thing about us, it's a strong movie, and it's gonna make you drop a lil tear, unless you're ice cold, but it sure is a winner movie and it shows how winner mentality can unite people, even in times where movies have dismissed God.

in the past several years, there has been an influx in the US box offices of sports movies, particularly footballl. These movies often carry cliché messages and dull character interactions. slamma jama, is exactly the opposite of these drab movies.

this is an entertaining movie about an important topic. It is really great to see that a movie can show an important, and still current, issue and still be entertaining. This is mostly due to a nice plot and story, well thought through, that don't shy away from hard interesting situations and the very good performances from the entire cast.

if it is at all possible, please go out and see this film. It doesn't matter how old you are. People of any age can enjoy it. The story is interesting, it doesn't get too serious and the acting is top notch.

even the film's final credits hold audience attention.

watch the film, then watch it again. You *will* remember and cherish this film for years to come.

Is that last line a threat? And the part about sports movies being cliches is a pretty big sticking point for me in sports movies. Does Slamma Jamma really break this inevitable curse?!

Quote:
This is an absolute must see movie, if the movie is true to what happened in real life I don't know, but it is one of the best movies I've seen this millennium so far :)

I thought that this movie was excellent, one of the best, very many great young actors for example Chris Staples. The ending was predictable, but nonetheless entertaining.

Overall I liked this movie, it even made me cry and not just a few tears but a lot (along with my chin quivering a bit)

I am glad I saw this movie, and would recommend anyone else, who is contemplating seeing it, to just see it. I initially put off seeing the movie due to reading comments about how "predictable" it was and comments like, "Oh just another movie about how some guy who over come the odds to win the BIG GAME". But the movie is about so much more - I believe in God - and about values and lessons in integrity. You don't have to be a slam dunk enthusiast to enjoy it because the slam dunking is really just a backdrop to the main theme of the story. But then again, if you like amazing slam dunks - most anywhere in any film, you should also find the these scenes enjoyable.

One of the best of this millennium. Crazy good praise. Chin quivering tears. Wow. And the slam dunking is the slam dunkiest. Score.

Quote:
...Michael Digg relationship was really profound and special. It crossed a lot of lines. The lead actor, also a dunk champion, was remarkable as Michael Digg. He took no crap, yet was scared to lose his mom...

Took no crap, but scared to lose his mom? Wow. That's complex.

Quote:
Slamma Jamma really were greater than the gods of Greek myth, and these guys were greater than any stereotype.

My favorite sentence ever.

Quote:
I was hoping for more dunking scenes, but this actually turned out to be a character drama.

No movie has ever tackled the importance of dunking like Slamma Jamma.

Quote:
This is the first movie I've ever seen that made me cry! Go see it! My comments doesn't matter for this one. Just spoil yourself and go see this masterpiece you will NOT be disappointed! I don't know a reason why I shouldn't recommend it.

And so it's come to this. I have acquired a copy of Slamma Jamma. It's time to stop obsessing over the not-at-all-written-by-one-single-person-who-worked-on-the-film reviews of this wonderful masterpiece. I will go down the rabbit hole this week and watch what dozens of IMDb reviewers have labelled a masterpiece, a great film, a 10/10. I will watch Slamma Jamma.

God help me.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]