Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dark Tower (2017) 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Dark Tower (2017)
Mister Ecks wrote:
I read more about this in Entertainment Weekly, and I'm really excited if it's done right. But the likelihood of that is so slim. Stephen King adaptations when they hit, they hit BIG (The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile), but when they miss... yikes. I just think the scope is too big for The Dark Tower to really succeed. It needs the love and care of the LOTR and Potter franchises, but it won't get that and it won't be anywhere near as successful. It's just too epic to work.

But the first movie on its own could be good. Just don't think it will prove successful enough to properly expand the universe.

Even if this movie was good, I don't think it would have done well enough to move into proper sequels. But wow. Sounds like a terrible King adaptation.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:44 pm
Hold the door!

Mister Ecks wrote:
Mister Ecks wrote:
I read more about this in Entertainment Weekly, and I'm really excited if it's done right. But the likelihood of that is so slim. Stephen King adaptations when they hit, they hit BIG (The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile), but when they miss... yikes. I just think the scope is too big for The Dark Tower to really succeed. It needs the love and care of the LOTR and Potter franchises, but it won't get that and it won't be anywhere near as successful. It's just too epic to work.

But the first movie on its own could be good. Just don't think it will prove successful enough to properly expand the universe.

Even if this movie was good, I don't think it would have done well enough to move into proper sequels. But wow. Sounds like a terrible King adaptation.

I think it could have done 150m, and had the sequel do better.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:47 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwack have you read the first book? There is no way it can be made into a mainstream success.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
zwack have you read the first book? There is no way it can be made into a mainstream success.

Why not?

Just because something is small scale doesn't mean it can't open to 40-50m and close with 150m.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:54 pm
The Wall

zwackerm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

Why not?

Just because something is small scale doesn't mean it can't open to 40-50m and close with 150m.

Because there's not much going on in the book, whatever action there is is very fast and it ends with a camp fire chit chat. It would not be enough to make people come back for a sequel. But turn the books into a TV show, the first book gets 3-4 first episodes and from then on the crazy begins and people would be more willing to sit it through. I really hope that soon some big cable/stream network picks this up for a series.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:02 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Exactly!! The first book also doesn't do any world building, the whole book kept me thinking something will happen but nothing much happens in it. This is not your typical LOTR or other sci-fi books, even King himself mentioned sometime back that the first few books of TDT were difficult to sit through and thus he re-wrote them to add some more details in them but couldn't change the entire content as he would have wanted.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:41 am
The Wall

You make it sound like the books were horrible. He changed a couple of details and stuff, but the "rewritten" versions are still the same books. He didn't change much to be honest.

The Gunslinger is probably the most changed one and there's a reason why the first book in its original form gained cult status, so I don't think I would agree with you when you say the first books were hard to sit through.

If you read his intro that's in front of the revisited editions you would understand that the main reason why he did that was because as the story evolved he understood he made small continuity mistakes and he realized some things could've been changed to make the story seem smoother and more organic and that he could implement some things he realized were going to happen later on. It's not because the story was hard to sit through. That's pure BS on your part.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:55 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I didn't read the original version of the book and I know it has received cult status but personally I felt Gunslinger was too slow and disconnected. I agree that he changed it also because of the reasons that you mentioned but I read that he also mentioned somewhere that the first three books being hard to sit-through if you are not a fan.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:10 pm
The Wall

No. That is your fabrication.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I could be wrong about the comments. But you seem to think that Stephen King is your neighbor and he gets all his comments written by you before he publishes them. That's pure BS on your part ;)

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:31 pm
The Wall

King is the first one to admit when he writes something shit ( http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_are_b ... sagree.php). He never said that about TDT. If he did find me a source.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

That is the right question now. I will try and find where I read this.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:55 pm
now we know

_axiom is Stephen King's publicist.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2