Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Inexplicable Rotten Tomato Ratings 

Post Re: Inexplicable Rotten Tomato Ratings
Algren wrote:
That was quite a long time ago.

In a galaxy far, far away?

Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:12 am
now we know

Hehe.

What I mean is that the opinion of Return of the Jedi back then is not comparable to films these days. Jedi wasn't as liked as Empire or A New Hope, so it got worse reviews. But also, if the same people that reviewed Clones and Sith reviewed Jedi, the latter would probably come out on top. Just the sheer fact that Jedi is associated with the original trilogy means that it is viewed better than any film in the newer trilogy. If the same reviewers that reviewed Jedi back in '83 also reviewed Clones and Sith, they would receive scores of 20 or 30.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:31 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Well you would be wrong there. Back in the 80s people generally loved Jedi over Empire, much like how Temple of Doom was hated by critics and now has 85%. Over the years, the overall opinion has changed on the film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:14 pm
now we know

Really? I thought that Jedi was considered the worst of the original trilogy. I admit this franchise isn't one I have much knowledge of.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The difference to Temple of Doom is that Doom is still considered the worst of the first three (though it is my favorite), whereas Empire is considered best.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Temple of Doom was the only one I saw when I was younger. Not watched it in YEARS, though. Just downloaded it recently to give it a refresher. My favourite is The Last Crusade. Never loved Raiders.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I think people are just disappointed looking back at how dark and complex Empire was and then you had Jedi which was almost a bit too light with the Ewoks and the decidedly predictable defeat of the Empire using the same plot device as The first (part of why I expect TFA's rep will wane in the years to come).

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Algren wrote:
Really? I thought that Jedi was considered the worst of the original trilogy. I admit this franchise isn't one I have much knowledge of.

People hated the darker tone, the ending where basically Han and Luke both lose (a hand literally in his case),the major twist of the father. It took a long time for people call it the best of the series.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Dr. Lecter wrote:
The difference to Temple of Doom is that Doom is still considered the worst of the first three (though it is my favorite), whereas Empire is considered best.

That wasn't the point I was making though. I know many people that love the film and for me honestly it's basically splitting hairs between 3 A+ films. Point was Temple of Doom's stock has risen quite a bit over the years, much like Empire, and while TOD hasn't gotten the overall consensus like most consider Empire, it's a pretty highly regarded film now vs. then.

I'm saying sites like RT and imdv often skews opinions of beloved films now vs when released. Bladerunner is a prime example. It's at 90% now, I'm sure back in 82 it would have been sub 30%

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:46 pm
Hold the door!

I've watched it many times now and analyzed it thoroughly, and I've come to a conclusion.

Pocahontas being Rotten is the worst bullshit on Rotten tomatoes. At the very least, it deserves a rating in the 70's, like Hunchback. It is at least a good film, even if its not the best of Disney. The only reason I can fathom as to why people think it is legitimately bad is the historical inaccuracy. Even Hercules is in the 80's, and I don't know many people who like that more than Pocahontas.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:55 pm
You must have big rats

Hmm, never realized it was Rotten. I thought people loved it.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Thegun wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

That wasn't the point I was making though. I know many people that love the film and for me honestly it's basically splitting hairs between 3 A+ films. Point was Temple of Doom's stock has risen quite a bit over the years, much like Empire, and while TOD hasn't gotten the overall consensus like most consider Empire, it's a pretty highly regarded film now vs. then.

I'm saying sites like RT and imdv often skews opinions of beloved films now vs when released. Bladerunner is a prime example. It's at 90% now, I'm sure back in 82 it would have been sub 30%

Good point on historical revisionism. You also see it forums like this - people who bad mouthed a movie they may not have have even seen when it was first released, finally see the light a decade later and suddenly become phony evangelists.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:58 am
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:
I think people are just mad that both shawshank and pulp fiction lost to it. What a fucking year!

Well, yeah, but I never understood the appeal of Gump. The main character does nothing; stuff happens to him, and then the movie ends.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Groucho wrote:
Thegun wrote:
I think people are just mad that both shawshank and pulp fiction lost to it. What a fucking year!

Well, yeah, but I never understood the appeal of Gump. The main character does nothing; stuff happens to him, and then the movie ends.

Among many other things, becomes a war hero. Which is the extent to what the main character does in American Sniper, but the appeal for that is fine. Sure.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

zwackerm wrote:
I've watched it many times now and analyzed it thoroughly, and I've come to a conclusion.

Pocahontas being Rotten is the worst bullshit on Rotten tomatoes. At the very least, it deserves a rating in the 70's, like Hunchback. It is at least a good film, even if its not the best of Disney. The only reason I can fathom as to why people think it is legitimately bad is the historical inaccuracy. Even Hercules is in the 80's, and I don't know many people who like that more than Pocahontas.

James Woods's Hades. Pocahontas has the worst villain of the Disney renaissance, maybe of the their entire canon.|

Also, I remember a Kevin Smith movie taking a huge shot at Home Alone and its screenplay. Not that Kevin Smith is in any position to throw stones, but I think it was definitely not a film nerd favorite when it came out.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Im suprised at Pretty Woman's RT score, i thought it was an acclaimed film with critics.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Skyblade wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

James Woods's Hades. Pocahontas has the worst villain of the Disney renaissance, maybe of the their entire canon.|

Also, I remember a Kevin Smith movie taking a huge shot at Home Alone and its screenplay. Not that Kevin Smith is in any position to throw stones, but I think it was definitely not a film nerd favorite when it came out.

Shan Yu and Clayton are far more forgettable.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:27 pm
Wall-E

Shan Yi doesn't have a lot in the way of characterization, but he's still sort of badass. Clayton is sort of cut from the same cloth as Radcliffe, but he's a little more disconcerting when angry, and points for a fucked up death scene.

A Disney villain (maybe a villain in general) should be at least one of three things, ideally more; Scary, charming, or funny. Radcliffe is bufoonish, kind of off-putting, and doesn't really have any funny lines. You don't get the sense people like him (Gaston) or are afraid of him (Frollo). He feels like the right hand man to a more impressive villain.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hold the door!

Skyblade wrote:
Shan Yi doesn't have a lot in the way of characterization, but he's still sort of badass. Clayton is sort of cut from the same cloth as Radcliffe, but he's a little more disconcerting when angry, and points for a fucked up death scene.

A Disney villain (maybe a villain in general) should be at least one of three things, ideally more; Scary, charming, or funny. Radcliffe is bufoonish, kind of off-putting, and doesn't really have any funny lines. You don't get the sense people like him (Gaston) or are afraid of him (Frollo). He feels like the right hand man to a more impressive villain.

Dunno, I think he's funny and I love Mine, Mine, Mine.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:05 pm
Hold the door!

You've given me an idea for my next list.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:06 pm
Forum General

Frollo is the most underrated Disney villain.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:36 pm
Hold the door!

How is Turbo fresh on Rotten Tomatoes? I don't see how it's better than something like Home or Hotel Transylvania.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:27 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Because it's a fun little movie.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:34 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
Because it's a fun little movie.

I don't see how it's more fun than those other ones.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Because it's better than them, then.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next