Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Death Of 35mm Film - - And It's Consequences... 
Extraordinary

Post The Death Of 35mm Film - - And It's Consequences...
Here's a new article via the LA Weekly entitled:

Movie Studios Are Forcing Hollywood to Abandon 35 mm Film. But the Consequences of Going Digital Are Vast, and Troubling

I think many here at KJ will find the information and implications interesting, at the very least.

Quote:
It's not so bad for first-run theater chains, which play only new releases. Art-house and repertory theaters, however, which play classic and older movies, are largely dependent on print loans from studios. Increasingly, the prints are remaining locked in studio vaults. Last November, 20th Century Fox sent its exhibitors a letter to that effect: "The date is fast approaching when 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight will adopt the digital format as the only format in which it will theatrically distribute its films. ... We strongly advise those exhibitors that have not yet done so to take immediate steps to convert their theaters to digital projection systems."

(Here's another link to the single page print version if you want to read it on the go.)

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 pm
The Wall

Post Re: The Death Of 35mm Film - - And It's Consequences...
I hate digital (until it gets to about 1000pixels per 1 current). I spent half of the American Reunion watching those ugly ass pixels that pop out on edges. And it wasn't an especially big screen either.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I don't see pixels.

I'll just quote one commenter:

Quote:
I don't need to read this article; and there is no war. Film has lived out it's life cycle and now we're on to digital. This is evolution of technology, but some people turn it into a personal battle/struggle which it should not be. Those people will get left behind, just as the camera winder got left behind when the motor was integrated.

Processing film is one of the worst things for the environment and it's effects on the people who develop it are still yet to be seen. Film is toxic but it brought us to where we are now, we can be thankful for that and still embrace the future of the digital age. This doesn't have to be a personal war.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:40 pm
Extraordinary

Nolan will go the way of the dinosaurs.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:50 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I had an entire short film I did on film once be destroyed by one of the only 3 people in NYC that still developed film rolls. It was by far the worst experience of my life. Sure the quality isn't quite there yet in digital, but it will be. Its only been 10 years, another 5-10 and the world will be thankful to be without it.

Digital filmmaking major contribution (other than the hardship that came with processing it) will be the elimination of cinematographer as a chief component of filmmaking.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:08 am
Extraordinary

Nothing tragic at all. Digital is the better format. Some traditionalists cling to film for sentimental reasons or because they fear losing their jobs.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:37 am
Extraordinary

Apples and oranges...

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 am
Extraordinary

be.redy wrote:
I hate digital (until it gets to about 1000pixels per 1 current). I spent half of the American Reunion watching those ugly ass pixels that pop out on edges. And it wasn't an especially big screen either.

You must have laser eyes because when I watch a film in a digital presentation I'm not focused on trying to find pixels.

I prefer digital anyway. It's cheaper, no threat of a film being cancelled due to a burn or failure to play or watching a film with a scratch or scratches on the print. Plus, it's better for booth personel who don't have to move around prints anymore or make syncs unless their theatre is stuck in the past.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 am
Extraordinary

Digital is the apple, film the rotten apple.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:08 am
Extraordinary

Changing the subject again?

Last edited by Nazgul9 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:13 am
Extraordinary

You started to bring in 3D. Look who's talking.

In case you haven't noticed, this is not a 2D vs 3D debate.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am
Extraordinary

It is not the same. At all. Film vs Digital only involves the production / distribution side of things. The result in both cases is a flat picture on a flat screen.

There's also no choice for the consumers here, theaters are going digital, they already have for the most part. Fragmenting the market further would only be a big hassle. And anyway, i tell you now, doing a blind test, the vast majority (which might include you) would not be able to tell what is film and what digital.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:49 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
and during a film, you can tell the difference.

That's what you are telling yourself but in truth, you don't know, you have never done a test to support such a claim. How could you, you don't have the means. Watching different films in different theaters with different projectors / settings is not a representative test. There's much more that influences a picture than whether the camera has a digital sensor or captures images on film.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
its a moot debate because the change is inevitable

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:02 am

A major issue is quality, but an even bigger issue all lies in the cinematographer. As said earlier, digital filmmaking only started making major rounds since 2005 with Zodiac. In those 7 years, the quality is about 95-90 in favor of film, while loosing to digital in every other category.

In another 10 years this debate will be mute not because change is inevitable, but because digital will overtake film in quality sooner than later.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:46 pm
Extraordinary

Some filmmakers already prefer the quality of the latest digital cameras.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:26 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

We all know that if Nolan had said that he prefers digital, Magnus would be already burning celluloid in a bonfire.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:03 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Price wrote:
We all know that if Nolan had said that he prefers digital, Magnus would be already burning celluloid in a bonfire.

:funny:

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Thegun wrote:
another 5-10 and the world will be thankful to be without it.

FUCK YOU.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:05 pm
Extraordinary

I thought this was a bit ironic but the day I posted about how you don't have to worry about the film being cancelled due to a burned print or some projector issue my digital screening of CITW gets cancelled due to a power surge that shut the theatres whole system down. The cause was ridiculously stormy weather. A tornado was taking place just about 10 miles south of me while i was at the theatre too.

Anywhoo, people got to keep their stubs and use it for another time. I went back to watch it again and this time i saw the whole thing.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:56 am
Forum General

To be fair, film is still a young medium. In another fifty years, let alone infinity, 90% of films will be forgotten.

You'll have your classics and whatever new films there are then.

Don't mean to be a dick, but it's the truth. Who cares about the lost films of the silent era when people today can't even name the films nominated for Oscars? And, is it any loss to society when all the unpopular shit that's made is forgotten and worthless? You can preserve The Three Stooges in pristine condition for the next billion years, no one cares.

Just like everything in this world, you'll have a few in the know and who care and if they happen to take a liking to a certain film like Metropolis it gets saved even if it may not be the best of its time. I mean, Nolan can preach all he wants, but having Michael Bay use film instead of digital isn't going to win over those diehards who all hate his films anyway.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

nghtvsn wrote:
I thought this was a bit ironic but the day I posted about how you don't have to worry about the film being cancelled due to a burned print or some projector issue my digital screening of CITW gets cancelled due to a power surge that shut the theatres whole system down.

Good point - - however it's tough to beat the drama of old school nitrate 35mm film in this quote from this thread's primary link:

Quote:
Nitrate film is highly flammable, and booth fires were not uncommon. Chemically identical to the explosive guncotton, nitrate film has its own built-in oxygen supply. Once it starts burning, it never wants to stop. It even burns underwater. The original nitrate projectors had a carbon arc lamp house with a hot bulb focused on a highly flammable piece of film running through it. If the reel got stuck in the projector, you were in trouble. That intensely focused circle of heat could cause the film to combust.

Jefchak once worked in a booth outfitted with metal doors and porthole windows covered with drop-down guillotine shutters. The projectionist would pull a pin to shut the windows if the film caught fire, run out, pull another pin to shut the door and let the film burn itself out.

Thegun wrote:
In another 10 years this debate will be mute not because change is inevitable, but because digital will overtake film in quality sooner than later.

You may well be right, that this debate will be mute in 10 years, but perhaps you meant to say moot. ;)

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 am

Nah, have you ever seen a couple of mutes debate, it's quite pointless :thumbsup:

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:53 am
Extraordinary

Yeah! And why did they ever get rid of 8 track tapes too?

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I don't have anything against digital as long as there isn't a noticeable difference. From what I've seen, it takes quite a bit of effort and skill to make digital look as good as film. It'll be cool when they develop IMAX digital cameras with full IMAX resolution and none of the noise issues that currently prevent Hollywood from being able to shoot full movies in the format.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next