Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Death Of 35mm Film - - And It's Consequences... 
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Death Of 35mm Film - - And It's Consequences...
The only thing I fear about digital is the constant changes in the formats. The technology keeps changing and there are problems. I worked at archive last year and we had these issues of transferring, and it is very easy to lose stuff. Regardless, if they go digital they should at least make a hard copy of every movie, otherwise we could lose movies in the future very easily.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Most important part of that article is when it talks about the Toy Story movies almost being lost because there was no physical storage of them. We all know hard drives aren't guaranteed to work years down the line. I bought one recently that only lasted 6 months before crapping out. There is something to be said for archiving films on celluloid, which can last 100 years. At some point digital storage will become more reliable, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket right now.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Most important part of that article is when it talks about the Toy Story movies almost being lost because there was no physical storage of them. We all know hard drives aren't guaranteed to work years down the line. I bought one recently that only lasted 6 months before crapping out. There is something to be said for archiving films on celluloid, which can last 100 years. At some point digital storage will become more reliable, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket right now.

Yeah I agree it is very risky. I think it would be better to just convert films to digital like they do now to send to the big theaters.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Hardrives are very unreliable, but online storage will be the way to go. Sure a nuclear holocaust may destroy the internet, but it'll destroy film as well.

Even so I'm in the "put it on a hard drive, put it on a DVD, and put it online" to avoid loss of material.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:49 pm
Cream of the Crop

Thegun wrote:
Hardrives are very unreliable, but online storage will be the way to go. Sure a nuclear holocaust may destroy the internet, but it'll destroy film as well.

Even so I'm in the "put it on a hard drive, put it on a DVD, and put it online" to avoid loss of material.

Online storage means dealing with hard drives at the end of the day too. Granted, I tend to trust Google's servers more than I trust the hard drives any of us might be able to buy. I have 200 gigs of storage on Google Docs for $50 per year. Great deal compared to Dropbox, which charges the same amount of money for a lot less storage.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Nazgul9 wrote:
Nolan will go the way of the dinosaurs.

;)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2