Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 A humanity/Film question if you will. 
On autopilot for the summer

Post A humanity/Film question if you will.
JUst bored and really this thought came to me not too long ago. But I am only 22 so not necessarily old as other people on here, or as young, but do you think in the generations to come, will people look at our generations juggernauts like Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, even people like Schwarzenegger, Robin Williams, Bill Murray. Will these guys remain as large in generations to come, or will they look like older actors of the past like Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart.

Before the snobs come rolling in, this is not a jab at comparing older legends to newer stars, But many mainstream people today may not even know who those older actors are, but is that a testament to technology not being there yet. Im more in the sense that I really don't see much more of advancement in filmmaking technology as there was from the 50s to 80s, unless all films will be in 3D years from now, but even then, will the films these actors made in 2030 still feel great, or will they be like 1900 films compared to 1930 films? is filmmaking from the 1970s-1990s going to be forgotten as we get into the later eras?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:23 am
---------

Post Re: A humanity/Film question if you will.
I've always thought about this too actually. I think the difference is that these juggernauts will still continue to do films and find an audience, making their older work still popular (kind of like Clint Eastwood to an extent). Though, I guess, early deaths would change that.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:59 am
Extraordinary

Woll Smoth will be remembered forever.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:07 am
Indiana Jones IV

Good question.

The issue isn't really the stars, but the movies themselves - Just like you said.

I think since the early 90's movies haven't really changed their look and feel that much - Things like film stock, audio quality, filming and editing style, etc, already had achieved what we think as the modern look. The big transition really happened at the end of 80's and the early 90's, with the arrival of digital post-production, and fusion of music video- and commercials- style visuals into feature films.

And I don't think that look is going to change that much anymore, unless all movies go for 3D. Which I don't think will happen, as the polarized 3D is too ridden with visual flaws to become a general standard.

However I think that films that are heavily dependent on CGI or other post-production effects work, are going to become dated. At some point we are going to reach photo-realistic effects, and new generations are going to grow up thinking that effects should be seamless. When they look back at films from the 90's or 00's, the unrealistic effects are going to distract them a lot. Our generation has grown up willing to forgive unrealistic effects, it's a deal we have made with filmmakers, because the technology isn't quite there yet.

Also a fairly important cultural point is that the late 80's and early 90's was a major turning point when the mainstream culture started to became fractured, leading to a culture where people kind of started to live in their own sub-cultures in terms of fashion, music, lifestyle, etc. And with the arrival of internet even the subculture have started to become fractured, with a lot of people simply picking and choosing whatever they want from different subcultures. Of course there have always been subcultures, but since the early 90's it's hard to anymore point out a *general* fashion in clothes, or music, or lifestyle. There are trends, but the aren't anymore all-encompassing mainstream trends (Except for the arrival of some technological innovations such as internet, cell phones and the mainstream breakthrough of video games). For example early 90's was the last time when we had a big musical revolution, with the arrival of rap, r'n'b and the different variations of electronic music into mainstream. There have been new sub-genres born after that, but nothing as major as a turning point (I'm excluding technical innovations such as the whole mp3 culture here).

Along with all that the early 90's started the big cycle of retro revivals, starting from 60s, to 70's and 80's, and now we have recently gone through a 90's revival. So for the last 20 years we have been constantly combining old with new. This has always happened, but not with such rate as for the last 20 years. And it's not just revivals, everyone in arts and media is constantly combining old with new all the time, drawing heavy influence from the last 50 years of arts and culture.

The point is that I think the style and look of characters in movies onwards from early 90's aren't so distinctively products of their time. Movies from the 70's or 80's which happen at that period of time tend to often (not always) have a very distinctive 70's or 80's look. The clothes, the music, the visuals, etc, are products of their time.

Mostly I have hard time pointing out such distinctive characteristics from movies of early 90's and onwards from that. And it's been almost 20 years now. There have been some major cultural adjustments, of course, like the arrival of cell phones and internet. But most movies don't really deal a lot with internet or cell phones, even now. Probably because neither is very cinematic.

Of course, I'm in my early 30's, so younger people might look at movies from early 90's and think that clothes look really silly and the music and visuals are all soooooo dated. With some movies I think this is true, as some movies intentionally tried to emulate the trends that were popular that very moment. But mostly I think the look of the movies is not so rooted on that exact moment of time.

In fact this would be interesting to hear from younger members of the board. Because when I was a teen in the early 90's, the early 70's stuff certainly felt and looked dated. If you think that for example early 90's movies are clearly made at that point in history with a lot of dated elements, I would be interested in hearing what those elements are.

So in the end, personally I think that films starting from early 90's, that are not too dependent on post-production effects work, will stand the test of time rather easily, unless there are some surprising developments that will change the filmmaking or the culture in general in a big way.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

spencer tracy sucks

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:41 am
On autopilot for the summer

You went sifting through 7 months to say that. Thanks for the bump all the same.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:00 pm
now we know

Bill Murray sucks.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Thegun sucks.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

They will be treated just like the ones currently dying off or fading DeNiro Pacino Schwarz Stallone Nicholson etc etc.

Those are the Tracy's Bogarts Stewart Fonda Hepburn Olivier etc etc of their time.

So the replacements of today are Gosling Cooper Lawrence I'd say.

And their replacements are Saiorse Chalamet Chavanzanee Wallis :D

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 am

I dunno, it feels like if I go and walk up to a teen they’ll know who Robert De Niro is, but not Humphrey Bogart

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:46 pm
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
I dunno, it feels like if I go and walk up to a teen they’ll know who Robert De Niro is, but not Humphrey Bogart

I'd say most teens would have heard of Humphrey Bogart, but not be able to match him to any of his famous roles.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 am
now we know

I didn't know who Humphrey Bogart was as a teenager. I'd heard the name. I knew he was an actor from the 1940s or whatever, but I couldn't have placed him and I wouldn't have known anything more about him.

Today's teens are even less knowledgeable, I feel. Because the culture is that they don't need to learn anything because they can just Google it all. If growing up in that culture (opposed to growing IN to that culture), you're less likely to know who Bogart was, also adding that today's teens are another generation away from Bogart's heyday and thus are naturally less likely to have heard of him.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Last month, I was surprised to learn that former Governor Schwarzenegger has also been an actor.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]