Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Lethal Weapon 5 is dead 
You must have big rats

Post Lethal Weapon 5 is dead
"Screenwriter Shane Black tells Moviehole that he doesn't think a Lethal Weapon 5 will ever happen. Black had written a script for the fifth film that he was expected to direct.

The site says that a contact at Warner Bros. Pictures agreed with Black, saying "That one is as good as dead. It won't happen. Which is a pity," adding that Black's screenplay was "fabulous. A much better send off than [Number 4]."

Last October, Richard Donner was quoted as saying that "Mel [Gibson] turned it down. I would like to think that Mel turned it down because I wasn't involved. Knowing Mel, I would like to think that. Would that be the kind of thing he does? It sure would be."

Back then, Donner said he had his own version of the fifth film in the works. "Channing Gibson, who wrote the fourth one, and Mike Riva, a designer on three of them, and myself and Derek [Hoffman, an associate at The Donner Company] had an incredibly strong story for the fifth movie. But we weren't given the opportunity and I think maybe I could have convinced Mel to do it. But Warners chose to go with Joel Silver.""

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53594

_________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not too surprised, Gibson has always been very determined to not do any more after the 4th. I believe for a while he was actualy reluctant about the fourth.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Post Re: Lethal Weapon 5 is dead
thank god

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:09 pm
"no rank"

I read an interesting interview last month. Dick was not happy.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40175

Quote:
Beaks: I have to bring this up. There's constantly talk of another LETHAL WEAPON. It keeps coming around. I know Mel Gibson recently downplayed that. What are your feelings on going back to that franchise?

Donner: Look, I would go back tomorrow. There's a producer whose name I forget, who was my partner who I have no respect for and hope to never work with again. He tried to put it together without me, believe it or not. And I'm the one who hired him and kept him on the film. So he tried to put this thing together. And when they went to Mel, he said, "Two things: I don't see Dick's name, and, no, I've done it." Now, do I think one could be done? Without a second's hesitation. I have a phenomenal, wonderful story with Channing Gibson who wrote the fourth one. He's a wonderful writer, and he came up with this truly great story. Yes, we could do it, and I think that the gang that loved LETHAL WEAPON would love it. And maybe at that point I could get Mel to do it. Who knows? I'm going to do another picture with Mel in between all the pictures he's doing, and we'll see.

Beaks: There was talk of a Shane Black script. Did that ever get to you?

Donner: No. I wish it had because I love Shane. I think he's a brilliant writer and a great guy. But somehow or another, the two of them forgot my name.

Beaks: And what are you working up with Mel?

Donner: It's an original that Brian Helgeland wrote that Mel wants to do. And until we do it, it will be nameless. Mel's doing one in between, so hopefully I will prepare it in the fall.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:13 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Hopefully Black's script becomes a new Kilmer/ RDJ comedy. They said they would work together again.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:18 pm
Extraordinary

Long live Mad Max 4!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:25 pm
now we know

It's back on. Mel, Danny, and Rich are exploring a fifth movie. I'm always ready for more Riggs and Murtaugh.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

A nearly 90 year old director who hasn't made anything in 12 years + a human trainwreck + the writer of Lethal Weapon 4 + poor Danny Glover. Hard pass.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:43 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I think rebooting the series at this point would be a better option.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:25 am
now we know

They tried that with the TV series and it was shit. Nah, the best bet is to make the fifth with Mel and Danny but just accept and own their age.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I think rebooting the series at this point would be a better option.

I have no idea who the audience for LW5 would even be. I'd have to think that performing on the level of the first two Expendables films would be considered a big win.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I remember when they tried to make a film called Sam and George where they reunite after 25 years.

I don't even need an action film, but these two are so good together. Forget Lethal Weapon 5, and call it Riggs and Murtaugh. Or being that they are also Roger and Martin, call it R&M

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:27 pm
now we know

Great video. If they can make Lethal Weapon 5 and tap into just 20% of the camaraderie and energy they have in that video, it would be a success.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]