Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Chinese Cinema 
now we know

Post Chinese Cinema
Does anybody care or even know of any Chinese movies?

What is your impression of Chinese film? What's your verdict? What movies have you seen exactly?

I've not seen too many. They certainly know how to make films, but whether those films are translated well to the white man is a different question entirely. I think most Chinese films are pretty bad, and with an awful talent pool to choose from, Chinese films don't have a good reputation for acting or production. What I see with Chinese films is that it's all about making a quick buck, so corners are cut and things are not planned to be revolutionary or fresh.

Hong Kong cinema is a different story.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Chinese Cinema
I have seen a few of Zhang Yimou's films, and I have enjoyed most of them. Either The Story of Qiu Ju or House of Flying Daggers is my favorite. Those two are wonderful. I am sure he is the most widely watched Chinese director in the West.

I have also seen and enjoyed Farewell My Concubine and Beijing Bicycle.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:42 am
The Incredible Hulk

only seen raise the red lantern. was amazing.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 pm
now we know

Right. So Zhang Yimou seems to be most people's first/only encounter with Chinese cinema. Interesting, but probably not such a bad thing considering the state of the Chinese film industry.

I've seen a few Chinese films; Back to 1942, Curse of the Golden Flower, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, The City of Life and Death, Little Big Soldier, Lost in Thailand, Let the Bullets Fly, No Man's Land, and China-HK co-productions (where only Mandarin is spoken), Dragon Blade and Police Story 2013, which I also consider to be China-made (as opposed to, say, Infernal Affairs or Hard Boiled, which are obviously just Hong Kong).

Of all the Chinese films I've seen, they're not bad. But that's because I choose wisely. There seems to be 3-4 Chinese films released every week! I've been here for four years straight (and on/off for six years), and I've only managed to see four actual Chinese films at the cinema. Most are absolute trash, and they mostly focus on old Kung Fu tales or fantasy Monkey King bullshit (not to mention their crappy animated films and their whimsical teen-love stories); basically reliving their 5000 year-history instead of adding to or attempting to create another x amount of years to be proud of - this is the Copycat Dynasty that China is living in now.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:49 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
whimsical teen-love stories

Highly recommend Fleet of Time though: