Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Gael Garcí­a Bernal movies 

What movie starring Gael Garcí­a Bernal is your favorite?
Amores Perros 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Y tu mamá también 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
El Crimen del padre Amaro 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bad Education 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
The Motorcycle Diaries 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Other (please specify!) 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 21

Gael Garcí­a Bernal movies 
You must have big rats

Post Gael Garcí­a Bernal movies
Gael García Bernal must be the busiest Mexican actor out there right now and seems to star in pretty much every single critically-acclaimed and successful Mexican/Spanish movie nowadays. He also has gained many fans in the world of moviegoers and I am certain that there are some on this site, like Dolce and torrino (who has a crush on him ;) ).

Now that there is an impressive number of acclaimed movies starring him out there, I wanted to ask you which of them you like the most. Another reason for bringing this up is that I am seeing The Motorcycle Diaries next Monday.

Personally, I have seen only two of his so far. One I heavily disliked while I thought that the other was pretty good.

The one that I disliked was Bad Education (much to Dolce's disdain probably ;)). I won't get deep into it, but I guess I just didn't get the point of the film (did it even have any?). The performances were all okay-ish, but seriously, I just didn't see any point whatsoever in it, no purpose, no themes...The only really good thing about it was the masterful score.

The other I have seen is Amores Perros. I saw 21 Grams before that, so the impact wasn't as big as it could have been, but I was still impressed. The direction is great and the ensemble delivers. Bernal is very good. The movie is utterly depressing and dark, but yet you can't take your eyes off the screen. The only thing I didn't like were the gimmicky time lapses, the way in which the movie was told. But overall, it was still very good.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Not only is it one of the funniest movies ever, but it happens to be quite mature. If you haven't seen it, do rent it.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:47 pm
Kypade

The Motorcycle Diaries
Amores Perros
Bad Education

1 and 2 are very, very close. l love em both. And Bad Education is great too.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:58 pm
Extraordinary

I've only seen The Motorcycle Diaries. :oops: I have some renting to do.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:06 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

I've not seen any of them. I'll try and rent The Motercycle Diaries sometime this month.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:06 pm
Extraordinary

Bad Education hands down. I thought Bernal's acting wasn't actually up to par with that of De la Serna is Motorcycle Diaries. It was too heavy handed and he doesn't know how to fake an asthma attach. Trust me, I got out of running the mile every year in grade school for fakoing asthma attacks, I know how they sound.

It was close between Education and Y tu Mama, and ultimately came down to if I preferred his take as a more mature, agressively ambitious man/woman, or if I liked his portrayel of a youth. I think he played a teenager very well in Y tu mama, and ultimately I chose Bad Education because I found Y tu mama to have more flaws as a film, and was less impressed by it.

Those are the only three movies I have seen of his, but I will try to watch Dot the i to see how he holds up in an English speaking role.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:08 pm
You must have big rats

By the way, did you know that The Motorcycle Diaries wasn't the first time he played Che Guevara?

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:41 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I loved The Motorcycle Diaries, but Y Tu Mama Tambien and especially Amores Perros are two of the biggest 'look back on it and realize how utterly awesome it was' films for me.

I heard El Crimen was rather sub-par, but Bad Education's at the top of my rental list.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

The Motorcycle Diaries is absolutely stunning to look at, and I heavily appreciated the whole metaphor about life with the road trip, something me and my friends talked about when we were driving from Portland to Mexico and back. I haven't had the chance to see Mal educación, but I really want to at some point. Amores Perros was really damn good, but incredibly stark and depressing too. It almost felt nihilistic, but I still really admire it. Y tu Mama Tambien was fantastic, probably my favorite of those listed. Not only for his performance, but just the film in general was really beautiful (sorry I can't be more detailed, just really beat since it's 12:30 and I worked 8 hours today)

Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:34 am
Extraordinary

I loved The Motorcycle Diaries, but Y Tu Mama Tambien and especially Amores Perros are two of the biggest 'look back on it and realize how utterly awesome it was' films for me.

I heard El Crimen was rather sub-par, but Bad Education's at the top of my rental list.

El Crimen del Padre Amarro had to be one of the worst, and most regressive, movies I'd seen in quite some time. Don't bother with it. And remember kiddies, its just another piece of religious spew about how sex is the downfall of faithful people.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:38 pm
Sbil

Y Tu Mama Tambien (gosh, he was so much better than Diego Luna; that guy bothers me) and The Motorcycle Diaries were both fantastic. I *really* need to be renting Bad Education...

Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:42 pm
Top Poster

I've seen three: Y Tu Mama Tambien (A), The Motorcycle Diaries (A), and Amores Perros (A-).

He has a certain charisma about him that not a lot of other actors have.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

And by far I mean I do love some of his other films, especially AP, but...

Best Actress 2008

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I *really* need to be renting Bad Education...

:grin:

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:27 pm
You must have big rats

I didn't get to see The Motorcycle Diaries yet.

I hate my State Exam.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Due to my State Exams, I haven't seen a single movie in theatres for five weeks. This is the longest period in which I haven't been to movies since 1999 (the year I really got into moviegoing). The first film I saw when it all was over, was The Motorcycle Diaries which I saw at my second-run theatre on Monday. I had my expectations up quite high after all the praises I read here on the boards as well as the promising storyline and the trailer.

I must say that overall it was a decent movie, but not a masterpiece some make it out to be. The chemistry between Rodrigo de la Serna and Gael Garcí­a Bernal was great, so at least there, the movie certainly hit gold. Overall, I thouht it was a bit oversimplified and cliché-laden at times, but I'll get more to this in Dolce's The Motorcycle Diaries thread.

Now, after having seen Bad Education, Amores Perros and The Motorcycle Diaries, I can easily say that Amores Perros was the best of the bunch, even though Gael's best performance is probably in The Motorcycle Diaries. Regardless of what I thought about the movie itself, I must say that he has great potential as an actor. I really need to see Y tu mamá también now.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Still Y Tu Mamá También for me... The one that led to my discovery of one of the best young actor's out there right now. One of my favorite films of all time.

Gael has done great movies after, but YTMT is my favorite.

Btw, has anyone seen Dot the I? I heard it got horrible reviews, but I'd still like to see it. If the movie results to be bad, you can always feel assured that your money will be well spent. I mean, who'd complain for 2 hours of watching Gael's beauty?

Sat May 07, 2005 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

No, I haven't yet. I do too actually. It sounds like a bit of a recast of his Bad Education character. Another noir murder. It had such a short run, I don't even know if its in theatres now. I do know someone started a thread on it in this forum if you run a search for it.

Sat May 07, 2005 3:55 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Dot the I hasn't even debuted in here yet.

Sat May 07, 2005 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well... I saw Y Tu Mama Tambien yesterday, and Amores Perros a week ago. Here's how I'd rank em.

1. Amores Perros - A-
2. Y Tu Mama Tambien - A-
3. Bad Education - B+
4. The Motorcycle Diaries - B+

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:05 am
Lord of filth

I didn't like Y Tu Mama that much.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I haven't seen El Crimen, but I do like all the other movies listed, even though I think Y Tu Mama is a wee bit overrated.

1. Bad Education
2. Amores Perros
3. The Motorcycle Diaries
4. Y Tu Mama Tambien

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Hmmph. I still haven't seen Bad Education, but I can't wait! It's at the top of my Q! Phooey

Of the one's that I have seen;
1. Y Tu Mama Tambien = A+
2. Amores Perros = A
3. El Crimen = B

I'm also anticipating The Motorcycle Diaries, but it doesn't look nearly as interesting as, say Y Tu Mama, or Bad Education....

He is a fabulous actor. One of my favorites.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Team Kris

Amores Perros - A-
The Motorcycle Diaries - B
El Crimen del Padre Amaro - C-

Never seen Bad Education, though I reaaallly want too. :oops: :wacko:

dot the i, not so much. lol

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:41 am
Lord of filth

The real story in The Motorcycle Diaries is Rodrigo De la Serna.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next