Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Chinese Film Festival hosted by Xiayun! 6 Members! 
Extraordinary

Post Chinese Film Festival hosted by Xiayun! 6 Members!
Since I'm a native Chinese, I've seen a lot of local productions that didn't get an international release, so I try to list the ones that people can at least find or view with subtitles:

* Ashes of Time
- Beijing Bastards
* Beijing Bicycle
* Better Tomorrow, A
Big Shot's Funeral
* Chungking Express
City of Glass
** Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
** Guizi Laile (Devils on the Doorstep)
*- Dream Factory, The
* Emperor and the Assassin, The
Emperor's Shadow, The
** Farewell My Concubine
God of Gamblers
Gorgeous
*- Green Tea
* Hard-Boiled
** In the Mood for Love
** Infernal Affairs
* Ju Dou
* Happy Time
* Happy Together
* Hero
- Keep Cool
* Killer, The
* Legend of Drunken Master, The
- Missing Gun, The
* Not One Less
- Go for Broke
* Once Upon a Time in China I, II, and III
* Police Story
** Raise the Red Lantern
** Sigh, A
Soong Sisters, The
* Story of Qiu Ju, The
** To Live
Together
* Yi yi: A One and a Two...

All the movies are good to check out. ** indicates the ones I highly recommend if the time is limited. * will be the next ones to see if there is more time. - indicates the movie is probably hard to find in the market.

I may think of more later on.

*Participants So Far*
Xiayun
dolcevita
torrino
Zingaling
slowreader
John Doe

Last edited by xiayun on Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

I've only seen a couple of those. I saw Hero, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Legend of Drunken Master, and Once Upon a Time in China I...

Which part of the festival are you going to participate in, asides from this of course.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:22 pm
Extraordinary

Oh yes Xia. I've only seen a handful of those. I think 8. Wow. I always thought I knew my stuff, but apparently not.

Torri, He just needs to host his threads and will have his hands full. You don't *need* to participate in a thread other than your own unless you want/have the time too. One festival is enough! lol. I think you and I are the only ones hopping in between them.

Great picks Xia. I see To Live has a nice double * next to it. One of the best. Gong Li is my heroine. She's got a big role opposite Ziyi in upcoming Memoirs of a Geisha. If you can, check out Shangai Triad (also by Yimou, with Li) and let me know what you think during the festival. I think you'll like it. It rivals To Live as my favorite Yimou film.

Emperor and the Assasin was a bit dissappointing to me in light of the other Caige films. What did you think of it?

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:29 pm
College Boy T

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:35 pm
Extraordinary

Yep. I'm going to join this one cause I love Chinese Film. Also, Torri, I'm gonna try to watch Motorcycle Diaries, so I'm registering in yours too.

Xia, what's the best recommendation for something understated but heavy? Does that make any sense? I don't want a melodrama, but I do want something that makes me think...HARD. Got any suggestions?

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:40 pm
College Boy T

Hmm. dolce, can we alternate between topics? Cuz, then I'll do a horror film and an Italian one.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:49 pm
Extraordinary

Torri, I think we can as hosts and MODs because we want to ensure that all the threads get some attention. But I think the other participants should stick to one country so that they can become more familiar with what it has to offer.

But you and I are apparently going for gold and hitting each thread like crazy. I'll jump into the Canadian one too once I get some recs from rusty and X.

Please still watch LDV. :(

Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:23 pm
College Boy T

Okay, Suspiria and La Dolce Vita. And, if I have time, a Chinese film. ;)

Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:30 pm
Extraordinary

To Live is my favorite Yimou's film too. I was thinking about renting Shanghai Triad sometime before, so I'll definitely check it out this week.

If I have to pick my favorite, I probably will go with Farewell My Concubine. The performance of Leslie Cheung is simply unforgettable, and like To Live, it contains a snapshot of 40 years of Chinese history. All the other Kaige's films have the style of his, but none really comes to close match it in its meaning and story telling. The Emperor and the Assassin is too much focused on the production value. It's grand and expensive, but it doesn't quite touch the heart. Sounds like how people said about Hero. The actings are heavy and make me feel that they're performing on a stage. It also contains historical inaccuracy, which is harder to take than a film like Hero, since that wasn't meant to historically accurate. I still think it's worth to check out for its production value, and also Chinese history for that period is quite fascinating, but it's more of a recommendation with reservation because the film is missing something.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I'm a fan of martial arts movies, so I'll join. I'll try to watch as many as I can. :)

Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:33 pm
The Incredible Hulk

Infernal Affairs was much better than its sequels, Police Story is good

Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Infernal Affairs was much better than its sequels, Police Story is good

Agreed on both accounts. Infernal Affairs II and III were made only to capitalize the success of the first one, and the quality suffered a great deal. I hope the sequal of In the Mood for Love, 2046, won't suffer the same problem.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yep. I'm going to join this one cause I love Chinese Film. Also, Torri, I'm gonna try to watch Motorcycle Diaries, so I'm registering in yours too.

Xia, what's the best recommendation for something understated but heavy? Does that make any sense? I don't want a melodrama, but I do want something that makes me think...HARD. Got any suggestions?

Hmm, dolce, which ones have you seen, including the ones that aren't on my list? I'll try to think of one that fits the understated but making one think description.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:03 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Agreed on both accounts. Infernal Affairs II and III were made only to capitalize the success of the first one, and the quality suffered a great deal. I hope the sequal of In the Mood for Love, 2046, won't suffer the same problem.

I don't think that particular issue will be a problem with 2046. I think that production (I believe!) started before the production of In The Mood For Love itself.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:13 am
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

I absolutely adore Wai Kar Wong. I'm curious if you've seen another film of his, Chungking Express?

Anyways, I'm in... I've seen a few of these:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Farewell My Concubine
In the Mood for Love
Hero

I hope to see A Better Tomorrow since I've heard alot about, Ashes of Time, Raise the Red Lantern, and Hard-Boiled (but the criterion dvd is almost impossible to get a hold of.)

We'll see how many I can see.

Last Viewings (****)
Naqoyqatsi - *
Powaqqatsi - **
Trois couleurs: Rouge - ***½
Koyaanisqatsi - **½

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I absolutely adore Wai Kar Wong. I'm curious if you've seen another film of his, Chungking Express?

Farewell My Concubine
In the Mood for Love
Hero

I hope to see A Better Tomorrow since I've heard alot about, Ashes of Time, Raise the Red Lantern, and Hard-Boiled (but the criterion dvd is almost impossible to get a hold of.)

How could I forget Chungking Express? Yes, I have seen it. It definitely has that Wong's style. What do you think it? I haven't seen Fallen Angel, but these two, along with Happy Together, are kind of trilogy for Wong.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

I thought CE was amazing, and it holds up as one of my favorite foreign films of all-time. Like you said it has his style oozing out of it, the score is very fitting, and the love story is outstanding between the officer and Faye.

California Dreamin' was stuck in my head for months after seeing it.

Last Viewings (****)
Naqoyqatsi - *
Powaqqatsi - **
Trois couleurs: Rouge - ***½
Koyaanisqatsi - **½

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

slowreader wrote:

Farewell My Concubine
In the Mood for Love
Hero

How could I forget Chungking Express? Yes, I have seen it. It definitely has that Wong's style. What do you think it? I haven't seen Fallen Angel, but these two, along with Happy Together, are kind of trilogy for Wong.

I've seen Fallen Angels...and I mus say I was a bit bored. The assassins were supposed to be isolated, and I guess I respect him for glamorizing the un-glamorous-ness of being one, but in the end, how many times can you watch the female lead masturbate? Meh.

Also, Eat, Drink, Man, Woman? Have you seen that one Xia?

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:48 pm
Extraordinary

I saw that long time ago, so I need to refresh my memory. That's why I didn't list it since I wouldn't be comfortable discussing it. Same for the other two movies of Ang Lee's trilogy, Wedding Banquet and Pushing Hands.

slowreader, I agree the romance between Tony and Faye is great in that movie. I didn't enjoy the first half as much. There were too much narrative, and I feel the pacing became much better once the story shifts to Tony Leung.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

This festival seems interesting enough! I may just join! I'll let you know if I'm in by tomorrow! Ta.

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:

I saw that long time ago, so I need to refresh my memory. That's why I didn't list it since I wouldn't be comfortable discussing it. Same for the other two movies of Ang Lee's trilogy, Wedding Banquet and Pushing Hands.

slowreader, I agree the romance between Tony and Faye is great in that movie. I didn't enjoy the first half as much. There were too much narrative, and I feel the pacing became much better once the story shifts to Tony Leung.

Oh, I forgot about Wedding Banquet. I really liked that movie, and wasn't surprised

*spoilers*
when the father said he understood english.
*end spoilers*

I kind of saw it coming, and it was a very touching moment when he announces it. Really made the entire movie come together.

-Dolce

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:07 am
The Incredible Hulk

Once Upon A Time in China I, II, III

What a great kung-fu epic, really liked it, especially the first one (known in China as "Wong Fei-hung"...

Jet Li was great, Rosamund Kwan was awesome... I love the commentary on the DVD, that really brought closer the movie and made me understand better its importance in Chinese filmography... Music and Cinematography were simply outstanding... Superb action shots, unbelievable kung-fu choreography...

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:32 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

You might help me with this one: I saw this movie about 2-3 years ago (DVD or VHS) about a blind girl who comes to live with her father after her mother dies (I think)... The father tries to make her happy and constructs a massage parlor in a factory where he's working... He brings her every day to work there, after he convinces his friends to pretend to be her customers...

Very much a tragic comedy about their relationship and happiness in life... Do you remember the title of this movie, by any chance??? Thanks... :wink:

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:45 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

xiayun (or any Chinese cinema buff),

You might help me with this one: I saw this movie about 2-3 years ago (DVD or VHS) about a blind girl who comes to live with her father after her mother dies (I think)... The father tries to make her happy and constructs a massage parlor in a factory where he's working... He brings her every day to work there, after he convinces his friends to pretend to be her customers...

Very much a tragic comedy about their relationship and happiness in life... Do you remember the title of this movie, by any chance??? Thanks... :wink:

Happy Time, by Zhang Yimou. :wink:

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:48 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

John Doe wrote:
xiayun (or any Chinese cinema buff),

Happy Time, by Zhang Yimou. :wink:

Thanks man, you're fast... I want to watch it again... Found also more about it on IMDB and I'm surprised you guessed it right because my story-telling is way off... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next