Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Chinese Film Festival hosted by Xiayun! 6 Members! 
Extraordinary

xiayun (or any Chinese cinema buff),

You might help me with this one: I saw this movie about 2-3 years ago (DVD or VHS) about a blind girl who comes to live with her father after her mother dies (I think)... The father tries to make her happy and constructs a massage parlor in a factory where he's working... He brings her every day to work there, after he convinces his friends to pretend to be her customers...

Very much a tragic comedy about their relationship and happiness in life... Do you remember the title of this movie, by any chance??? Thanks... :wink:

Happy Times

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303243/

by Zhang Yimou

:wink:

I have many recommendations by him including my two favorites, Shangai Triad and To Live. Want to check one of them out next week and hop in on the festival fun?

-Dolce

Edit* D'oh...I didn't finish scrolling down the page after I saw the question. I didn't realize Xia had already answered it and you'd already thanked him for answering. I feel silly. I'll go hide now.

BTW...John...Gooo Sooooxxxxxxx!

Last edited by dolcevita on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:21 am
Extraordinary

xiayun wrote:
John Doe wrote:
xiayun (or any Chinese cinema buff),

You might help me with this one: I saw this movie about 2-3 years ago (DVD or VHS) about a blind girl who comes to live with her father after her mother dies (I think)... The father tries to make her happy and constructs a massage parlor in a factory where he's working... He brings her every day to work there, after he convinces his friends to pretend to be her customers...

Very much a tragic comedy about their relationship and happiness in life... Do you remember the title of this movie, by any chance??? Thanks... :wink:

Happy Time, by Zhang Yimou. :wink:

Thanks man, you're fast... I want to watch it again... Found also more about it on IMDB and I'm surprised you guessed it right because my story-telling is way off... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The description you gave is pretty accurate. :) I watched it only once too. It's a simple understated story, but very nicely told.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:25 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

The description you gave is pretty accurate. :) I watched it only once too. It's a simple understated story, but very nicely told.

Yep, but I messed up the story in one very important fact... She wasn't his ('the father') daughter :wink: She was a stepdaughter of a woman he tried to marry... But after his future wife realized, he had no money, she left him, and helf the stepdaughter behind with him... He wasn't at all happy about it, but couldn't just throw her out on a street, so little by little he warmed up to her and started to treat her as his own... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:50 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Happy Times

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303243/

by Zhang Yimou

:wink:

I have many recommendations by him including my two favorites, Shangai Triad and To Live. Want to check one of them out next week and hop in on the festival fun?

-Dolce

Edit* D'oh...I didn't finish scrolling down the page after I saw the question. I didn't realize Xia had already answered it and you'd already thanked him for answering. I feel silly. I'll go hide now.

BTW...John...**** *************!

Still, your response is very much appreciated (pretending not to see your last remark... :wink: :wink: :wink: )... I'll try to check out your above suggestions in the next few weeks...

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

On a serious note, I just hope I can get some of these films at the local video shop!

What's the first movie that we start off with, or do you just wish for us to pick any from the list?

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Ok, I'm in! Now where are we going? lol

On a serious note, I just hope I can get some of these films at the local video shop!

What's the first movie that we start off with, or do you just wish for us to pick any from the list?

If you haven't seen them, I'd recommend to see Farewell My Concubine and To Live to start with. Also, any of Zhang Yimou's work can be studied and appreciated.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Chinese Film Festival hosted by Xiayun! 6 Members!
Many of the titles mentioned here are Hong Kong films. Chinese cinema is actually rubbish.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2